Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2006 6:23:11 PM EDT
What is the quality of the Olympic Arms pistol caliber uppers?  Are they close to the quality of RRA's 9mm uppers?  It seems like the Olympic Arms use of sten mags might be the way to go , but only if the quality is there.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:29:17 PM EDT
[#1]
The fit and finish of my Olympic 9mm upper isn't what I'd like it to be but it works great with a KKF block and sten mags. Rear pin is a tight fit and upper has a slightly purplish color to it, but overall I'm happy with it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:50:32 AM EDT
[#2]
i have yet to handle a oly that compared to the ABC-R brands
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:08:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I 've owned both the Oly and an RRA 9mm upper.

Both fit and finish were very good, but the RRA color-matched my lower. The Oly is more of a shiny-dark black, vs. the matte finish of the RRA.

Both functioned very well after some minor trouble shooting. I currently own the Oly, and sold the RRA.
It functions fine with Sten mags and a cheap mag block in my Stag lower.

The RRA had a 2-piece mag block permanently attached to lower. It was an A-2 upper, and I sold it because I wanted a flat top receiver and found a good deal on the Oly.

If I was to do it all over again, I would probably use a Cav Arms lower, Hahn's block, with a RRA flat-top lower.  Lightweight and I like the A1 length.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:40:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an Oly 9mm upper that I purchased off the EE a few months ago.  I purchased it because of the cheaper/more available mags(sten), easier to change between .223 and 9mm, and read about fewer problems with getting an Oly to run vs. Colt/RRA type.  I researched pistol cal uppers for several months and then ran on a good used Oly on the exchange and picked it up.  I mounted it on a Colt lower and didn't have to change the hammer(like you may need to with the RRA/Colt), I didn't have to ramp the bolt(like you may need to with the RRA/Colt) and didn't have to have a top loading mag block(both styles available for RRA/Colt but I have read that the top loading type work better for them).  I am not bashing the other guys but it was a lot to go through to run a RRA 9mm upper.  All I have to do is bolt the Oly upper on and insert my Socom mag block and mag and do the reverse to go back to .223 which takes all of about a min!  Fit and finish, I was not very concerned about the difference(or lack there of) in shades of black between my Colt lower/Oly upper and it doesn't apear as though it is off by much.  This is more of a range/plinker for me and I don't enter my sticks in beauty contests.  I have enjoyed it very much(+1500rds) and have not had any problems with it. Some people do have problems getting theirs to run but, I think I read about more problems with the RRA/Colt type than the Olys and that might just be because there are more RRA/Colt types out there(I have no clue)?  Anyway, take away what you want from this post, I do not claim to be an expert in this subject and have not read every available piece of information about this subject ever printed, so your mileage my vary!  Thanks, Wj
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I too like the idea that on an Oly the hammer doesn't need to changed out.  That way a complete lower doesn't need to be dedicated to it.  On the other hand I am very pleased with RRA's quality and I like the midlength barrel option is nice.  Is the RRA mag block the one to use with their upper or is there another?  I read in the 9mm FAQ that their is a mag block that will except unmodified Uzi mags.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:40:51 PM EDT
[#6]

I have an Oly 9mm upper that I purchased off the EE a few months ago. I purchased it because of the cheaper/more available mags(sten), easier to change between .223 and 9mm, and read about fewer problems with getting an Oly to run vs. Colt/RRA type. I researched pistol cal uppers for several months and then ran on a good used Oly on the exchange and picked it up. I mounted it on a Colt lower and didn't have to change the hammer(like you may need to with the RRA/Colt), I didn't have to ramp the bolt(like you may need to with the RRA/Colt) and didn't have to have a top loading mag block(both styles available for RRA/Colt but I have read that the top loading type work better for them). I am not bashing the other guys but it was a lot to go through to run a RRA 9mm upper. All I have to do is bolt the Oly upper on and insert my Socom mag block and mag and do the reverse to go back to .223 which takes all of about a min! Fit and finish, I was not very concerned about the difference(or lack there of) in shades of black between my Colt lower/Oly upper and it doesn't apear as though it is off by much. This is more of a range/plinker for me and I don't enter my sticks in beauty contests. I have enjoyed it very much(+1500rds) and have not had any problems with it. Some people do have problems getting theirs to run but, I think I read about more problems with the RRA/Colt type than the Olys and that might just be because there are more RRA/Colt types out there(I have no clue)? Anyway, take away what you want from this post, I do not claim to be an expert in this subject and have not read every available piece of information about this subject ever printed, so your mileage my vary! Thanks, Wj

That about sums it it for me. The only differance is I got a new Oly upper and a JC weaponry mag block. 2000 rds later no problems with upper, mag bock or mags. Guess I got lucky.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:04:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I agree with foz & Wj.
I have had my Oly upper for a few years.
Perfect function. Runs all the time.  It's
one of my favorites. Great intro to a new
AR shooter, legal at the indoor IPSC matches,
relatively quiet & cheap to shoot. I made a set
of blocks that allow me to use the original
mag release. The only thing I'm missing is
last round hold open!  It is too much fun.
Lots of people bash them & insist on Colt
& Rock River, but I obviously don't listen
to that croud...
Good Luck !

Johnny C!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:05:25 AM EDT
[#8]
My Oly runs very well, but I have broken two extractors and a bolt cam pin over the course of about 6,000 rounds.

VSP
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:10:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I've got a little over 2,000 rounds (a lot of +P & +P+) through my 9mm Oly with zero hiccups.  I am happy enough with it that I plan to pick up a 2nd (a Glock-mag Oly 9mm) this weekend if anybody at the fun show has one for sale.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:21:45 PM EDT
[#10]
got a glock oly 9mm, couldn't be happier, more than 2500+ rds, have not had a misfunction and can repeatedly hit a 12" gong at 300yds,,,,oops bolt catch did break, oly sent a new one, it too broke (cast or mim), put in a Wilson Combat and problem solved....might be due to bolt overtravel????
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:12:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I have an OLY GLock 9mm.  Shoots great.  Have over 2000 +P+ Federal through it.  No probs..  I guess I got a good one.  Any company is bound to put out a lemon now and then, but OLY has Lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:31:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Is Oly in full production with their Glock lower rifles?  They seem scarce.  On a side note, do the Glock lower rifles use a standard 9mm or 40 S&W uppers.  I ask because I woder if you could order a 40 upper for a 9mm Glock rifle, or visa versa.  The mag dimentions are the same for a Glock 9mm & 40 S&W so I think it can be interchanged.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:07:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I have an OLY 9mm upper, love it, only problem I've found, is if you want a 9mm beta mag, they are set up for the colt style, and you will have to get a sten tower for your beta, this is not a big deal either, but the 9mm loader that comes with the beta, won't fit the sten mags or tower, and hand loading a beta is a thumb killer. if you aren't interested in the beta mag, than now problem. 32rd sten mags can be found for about $8
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:16:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Is Oly in full production with their Glock lower rifles?  They seem scarce.  On a side note, do the Glock lower rifles use a standard 9mm or 40 S&W uppers.  I ask because I woder if you could order a 40 upper for a 9mm Glock rifle, or visa versa.  The mag dimentions are the same for a Glock 9mm & 40 S&W so I think it can be interchanged.

They can use a standard upper with an OLY style carbine barrel if you do one small modification. The upper has a small notch in it to allow for the bolt hold open catch. If one of the guys who has a Glock style lower will post a photo, it might be clearer for you. I hav recently purchased an OLY 9mm upper which I use on my MEGA/Stinger lower. The only issues that I've had is that the Socom style Stem mag blocks didn't work for me. I am currently using a HaHN mag block for the Sten mags which works much better. I am still having issues with two of my Sten mags. However none of the issues I am having are related to the upper.

It is the rummor that OLY will be selling the Glock lowers seperately later this year, but for now you can only get them with a whole gun. The only other thing is that with all pistol direct blowback AR's, you should run a heavier buffer.

But geting back to your oiginal question.................. I have only put about 300 rounds down my OLY 9mm, but I really like it. As soon as the paperwork goes through, It will be SBRed and have a can on the end. I plan on working with a local SOT manufacture on a few baffle designs that I have.

Here's a pretty good review of the OLY/Glock ARs:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=260102

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:18:37 AM EDT
[#15]
I can't speak about the 9mm RR. But I can for the OLY. I have owned 2 OLYS. One is an upper that I bought on the EE and the 2nd was a complete OLY 9mm rifle. One uppper has over 10K rounds through it with no problem, no tinkering it just flat runs. I sold the other upper to another forum member and he has shot carbine matches.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Bought mine used in semi config and broke the extractor after a thousand rounds or so. Don't know how many had been run thru it by the first owner. It's now set up with a FA carrier to run atop my Colt M16.
This thing almost always goes to the range with me, it's second only to the Ciener 22LR kit.
No other problems to report other than two bad Sten mags out of 18 and thats not Oly's fault.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:26:47 PM EDT
[#17]
No Experience with RRA.

BUT, in researching it I did decide I wanted an Oly for the lack of changing the lower that I wanted to use as a "multi-caliber" between 5.56, 9MM, and .45.  I have yet to get the .45, it's on the list.

I am running a collapsable stock lower with an MGI RRB buffer, regular hammer, and it switches between the 9MM and 5.56 fine. both run with the same lower.

I just got a mag block, but haven't used it yet as I am ordering sten mags here shortly.

Oh, and it eats Wolf just fine....both calibers.

No Expert
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:56:44 PM EDT
[#18]
will the oly 9mm upper run with a VM HiTec block and unmodified uzi's?

i planned on running:

9mm flat top oly upper
bushmaster 223 lower
VM block
uzi mags
cheap 9mm ammo (wolf etc)

any problems with that?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:42:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Olys are fine for play........the quality and reliability is less than that of the Colt system.

Here is another mag adapter option here
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:29:46 AM EDT
[#20]
I too have the OLY 9mm upper I purchased new several years ago.
At the time it was the ONLY option for sub-cal AR's besides a Colt factory gun which I wasn't doing.

I purchased a socom block and about 20 Sten mags but that system never worked for me. I ended up trading off the block for an OLY converted mag and had some of the stens converted myself, and some by OLY. All function perfect, just a bitch to load.

I was warned about the extractor spring breaking, so I took someone's advice here and store the rifle without the bolt group installed and have never had a problem????? Don't know if that is the solution, or just licky???

My biggest complaint was the lack of bolt hold open, no biggie on a plinker so I never looked back. Another complaint is the use by OLY of a non standard FS that kooks like shit. Solution, sent off to KKF for a barrel shortening, M4 profile turn down and A2 FS install.

Thousands of rounds and no problems. But that didn't stop me from buying a BM Carbon 15 9mm rifle recently though
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:11:52 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I too like the idea that on an Oly the hammer doesn't need to changed out.  That way a complete lower doesn't need to be dedicated to it.  ...

If you use a hammer w/o the notch at the top front (like a DPMS or an M16 with the rear notch removed) it'll work with both the Colt-style 9mm and regular .223s so it's a one-time swap, not every time.  You'll have to use that lower for 9mm, but it isn't "dedicated" to 9mm as it can be used for any other caliber too.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:53:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Why is RRA's 9mm hammer so chopped if a unnotched hammer os all that is needed?  What mag block would you recomend for a RRA 9mm?

Thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:06:07 AM EDT
[#23]
The Oly system is also great for experimenting with other pistol calibers. I made a .45 GAP upper that uses the 9mm Sten mags and a KKF magwell block. Runs like a scalded dog.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Why is RRA's 9mm hammer so chopped if a unnotched hammer os all that is needed?  What mag block would you recomend for a RRA 9mm?

Because Colt's was?  From what I understand, the notch hangs up on the bottom of the unramped bolts and jams it up.  So all you need to do is take out the notch to make it run.  The "9mm" hammer may be shaped the way it is to try to smooth out the cocking action, which is much quicker on the 9mms.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:06:00 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because Colt's was?  From what I understand, the notch hangs up on the bottom of the unramped bolts and jams it up.  So all you need to do is take out the notch to make it run.  The "9mm" hammer may be shaped the way it is to try to smooth out the cocking action, which is much quicker on the 9mms.  

Colt did that for their semi-auto 9mm rifles... for the Colt 9mm SMG's, they just stuck the 9mm upper on a M16 lower, pinned blocks in, and off they went.

Trend now is to use the hammer that is lacking the silly "V" notch at the top of the hammer, which locks up the works with a std Colt pattern 9mm bolt.. either weld the notch, or just get the hammer that is simply a M16 with the offending auto-sear lug cut off, also sold as semi-auto hammer at funshow.

My AR-15 semi-auto lower - anybody tell me what caliber it is ?

M16 hammer (L) -- M16 minus the lug/"DPMS" (center), -- everyday common AR-15 hammer (right)

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:29:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I had a Oly 40 S&W that ran great..

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:34:54 AM EDT
[#27]
I just shot my .45ACP oly upper today. What a fun gun!!!
I tried it at 25yds at first, got a 2 inch group with every type of ammo I fed it, all in the same area.

It spread out a bit at 50, but you could still rabbit hunt with this if you are so inclineed.

My elevation knob on the aftermarket carry handle was stuck...couldn't get it adjusted.

Now, I need to find some large cap .45 mags I can adapt...that or get going on Justins AR45 lower.

John
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:58:44 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I had a Oly 40 S&W that ran great..

i have an oly .40SW that i've put about 400 rounds through and runs great
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:57:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Well, found my problem...elevation knob was full down.  oops.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top