Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2002 12:28:56 PM EDT
I am in the market for a new varmint rig.  After seeing prices of all the big brands i noticed the oly's RR's are very well priced for the rr varminter and the oly arms ultra match.  I was wondering if any one has had any extended experience with either rifle.  I currently have a ar10T, and it seems to be the best quality 308 ar i have seen and shoot to date.  I want it to shoot 1/4 moa and want it to have a good finish like my armalite.  any input from you guys will be appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 1:04:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one of both. The RRA is a 1in8 twist 20in that shoots 69gr and heavy bullets in to a dime at 100yrd. The OLY is  an M$ and it is very accurate too. They both have nice finishes. The RRA seems to be the more durable of the two as far resisting scratches and depth of finish. I like them both better than the Colt MT6700 flatop I had before them.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 1:38:12 PM EDT
[#2]
My preban Olympic Arms/SGW CAR-AR will not accept Thermold mags into the lower reciever mag well for some reason. The factory barrel's headspace was F##KED - as a result, I replaced it with a Bushmaster barrel - runs fine now. The finish IMHO is poor - it looks like bake on laquer or something - not the manganese phosphate Mil-Spec coating. I'm sure there are Oly Arms guns that run fine but I'd at least be leery of early preban guns.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 2:34:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanx for the info guys, i am leaning more toward the RR because of it,s price.  Anyone else with experience with the Rock River Varminter??
Any info on rock river ar's will be appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 3:41:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I've tried all the major brands, and I can't beat the fit, finish, and price of the Rock River stuff.    
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 4:15:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Who would be the best source for a Rock River Varmint upper?  It seems that this upper is real close to a custom job w/o the price.  My goal it to entertain myself shooting multiple golf balls off of a pvc stand at 100 yards.  FWIW... this will not be done awful hand but from a rest...
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 12:38:34 PM EDT
[#6]
[url=http://forums.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=2&f=86]Legal-Transfers [/url] and [url=http://www.sableco.net/id21.htm]Sable Co.[/url] are well spoken of here, and both carry RRA.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 1:09:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Oly seems to have their own specs for uppers and lowers. They don't play well with other brands. RRA is hit and miss. I have a friend in the industry that in the past used them as  supplier for parts. They quit after some quality problems and poor service on RRA's end. And we've all heard of the stupidity of RRA trying to pass off their out of spec flat top uppers. Claiming they were being made to new secret piccatiny spec. Idiots.

Stay with Colt, Bushmaster, Armalite/Eagle or DPMS.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 2:05:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Oly seems to have their own specs for uppers and lowers. They don't play well with other brands.

I would ignore the above quote.  I have put Bushy uppers on Oly liowers and Oly uppers on Bushy lowers without a problem.  PREBAN Oly's are known to be much tighter for teh precision shooter.

Both RRA and Oly will do you fine.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 3:35:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I have an Oly Ultra Match, I think the fit is most excellent, absolutely no movement between upper and lower, rock solid.
I think the finish is very good, black as an ape's ass, not purple or grey.
A truly broached barrel, match .223 chamber, and a written guarantee for satisfaction and accuracy. If you plan on keeping it very long, consider it also comes with a lifetime warranty.
seems like a hard combination to beat.....

I also recommend Triple Break Products, Mark will give you the best service, I know, cause he gave me excellent service on a recent Oly lower I bought, complete with engraving, "Live Free or Die", what more could you put on any firearm than that?

After I got my Oly Ultra-Match last year, I looked at lots of AR's at gun dealers, mostly B.M., and the more I looked, the more impressed I was with the fit and finish of my Oly.
This Christmas, I bought another Oly, Kit, PCR-7, and I sure wouldn't have bought another if I hadn't been so happy with the first.[:D]

Merry Christmas, Rancid Lance
Top Top