Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2011 5:01:48 PM EDT
I have a PINNED Brake on my 16" upper that I ordered with a low-pro gas block (for possible upgrade to a longer FF Quad)..

I want to install a standard IRON front sight post kinda-like this.. (the Armalite clamp-on type)..

but I can't take the current low-pro off.. (I don't want to mess with the gas block)..

so would this look WAYYYY stupid to mount the FSB just in-front of the low-pro.. I have 1 7/8" before the M4 cut in the barrel..

I mainly want more than my current 12" sight radius I have now with my MBUS front and rear.. I want to lose the front MBUS and go IRON..

I see people do it on here to make mock-'dissipators' (using the clamp-on FSB)..

or would I be smarter (and it look better) to mount it just closer to the end of the barrel (like just beyond the M4 cut)..

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:04:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:06:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The barrel is not the proper diameter to mount the FSB, in the location you want to mount the FSB.

I see a darker BLACK area in front of my gas block.. its .750 as it would have had the normal FSB put there.. and they use .750..

or are you referring to the end closer to the barrel muzzle??
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:07:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:16:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I just checked the barrel by the gas block is 3/4", and after the M4 CUT going towards the muzzle appears to be 3/4" also.. it does drop down at the very end just before the threading area..

have to ponder this..

I can get a USED FSB for like $20 or new for $29 from BCM.. maybe I can mod that type, and SETSCREW it.. (which I've also seen done on here as long as you dimple the barrel for the screws)..

anyone done this ^^^^  before with a PINNED brake of FHider??

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:57:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I can get a USED FSB for like $20 or new for $29 from BCM.. maybe I can modify that type, and set-screw it.. (which I've also seen done on here, as long as you dimple the barrel for the screws)..

anyone done this ^^^^  before with a PINNED brake of FHider??

Anyone use an old FSB and just set-screw it on there barrel with good results??
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I drilled and tapped a BCM FSB for set screws on my lightweight dissipator. No problems so far

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn174/seth2472006/e642f2b5.jpg
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:14:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I used a Armalite Clamp on type on my stag barrel.  It was not a true .750 but the clamp on has some room to move.  It will be a PITA to get the sling swivel on there, but by grinding on swivel mounts ($1 part) you can make it fit.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Since you said you have a pinned brake.........how do you plan to get the FSB over the brake?
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:48:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Since you said you have a pinned brake.........how do you plan to get the FSB over the brake?

Yep, this ain't really a good plan.
I would go for a new barrel exactly the way I wanted it instead of cobbling this one.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:42:41 PM EDT
[#10]
If you want a longer sight radius so bad why not do it RIGHT the first time, instead of dicking up your barrel by jethro rigging a FSB on the front of it....

The Midwest Industries MCTAR-22 two-piece free float rail would fit your needs perfectly and would NOT require removing the gas block or the FH, all you do is cut the delta ring off and bolt it on

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=249

If you do your google shopping homework you can find them in the sub $225 range, then you could use the MBUIS you already have on the front.

This is what you will end up with (mine is a one piece T-series on a SBR but you get the idea)

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 9:50:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

(for possible upgrade to a longer FF Quad)..

This will take care of your problems, get a longer tube, sell the old one.

Hell put a WTT on the EE, I'm sure someone is looking for a shorter one.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 2:54:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you want a longer sight radius so bad why not do it RIGHT the first time, instead of dicking up your barrel by jethro rigging a FSB on the front of it....

The Midwest Industries MCTAR-22 two-piece free float rail would fit your needs perfectly and would NOT require removing the gas block or the FH, all you do is cut the delta ring off and bolt it on

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=249

If you do your google shopping homework you can find them in the sub $225 range, then you could use the MBUIS you already have on the front.

This is what you will end up with (mine is a one piece T-series on a SBR but you get the idea)

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp81/TheMercenary556/2011-08-09_12-40-44_256.jpg

I'm looking at the MI MCTAR-24 which is the 10" model of that..  MI 10" Carbine FF

I got the low pro gas block.. so I'd just have to cut the delta ring and factory 'end cap' and mount this, correct??

I was trying to also add an iron FSB to appease the crowd on here..  
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:20:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I have never had to mess with a pin on flash hider so I don't know just how hard that part is going to be.

However, I have made my own mock dissipater doing just what you described.  I used a take off FSB, treaded it and set screwed on the barrel.  Worked great!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top