Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2004 5:43:46 PM EDT
One is a 14.5" carbine hbar with midlength handguards, eotech holosight with ARMS back up sight and Ace skeleton stock. The other that I just put together the lower for is a 20" full railed free floated hbar, railed flat top with a match stock. Sorry no pics. That sucker is heavy! One question. The pivot pin was really tight to get through the upper. I ended up having to whack it in and it doesn't seem to want to come out. Will that loosen up after shooting it a bit?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:24:15 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
One question. The pivot pin was really tight to get through the upper. I ended up having to whack it in and it doesn't seem to want to come out. Will that loosen up after shooting it a bit?

Maybe.

Take the upper off.  Move the pivot pin back and forth.  If the pivot pin is extremely tight across the entire distance, then either the lower is out of spec, or the pivot pin is too large (likely the pin is too big)

If the pin is loose until the very end, where it snaps into place, and then gets REALLY tight for the last 1/8", then it is likely the pin is again out of spec, and part of the pin is rubbing part of the lower.

If it is only tight when the upper is installed.... go shooting.  It will loosen up.  I like to take mine and work them back and forth dry, to break them in a bit... then apply a little moly grease to the pins, especially the detent holes.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 2:41:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply. Before installing the upper I moved the pivot pin back and forth through the lower holes and it did not seem to be a problem. It was just a little tight but it functioned just fine. Sounds like it might loosen up then. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:29:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I took the rifle that I built the lower to the range today. It worked just fine. I have not checked the front pivot pin to see if it loosened up any. I may be able to get it out if I take a punch to it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 2:15:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I took the rifle that I built the lower to the range today. It worked just fine. I have not checked the front pivot pin to see if it loosened up any. I may be able to get it out if I take a punch to it.

You arent trying to pop open the pivot pin while the rear pin is still in are you?  You know, you pop the rear takedown pin first, pivot the upper, then pop open the front takedown pin.... right?  There shouldn't be any pressure on the front pin at that time, so if it is tight only when the upper is installed, then I'd still say something is a tad outa spec.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 3:20:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes I am trying to push it out with the rear take down pin out and the upper swung up. It is still too tight to push out by hand. I do believe it is out of spec. I'm okay with it for now. I don't plan on removing the upper from it anywhere soon. It would be easier to clean if I could.
Thanks
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top