Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2015 12:20:56 PM EDT
I've heard good things about the Surefire Fury, but I was wondering about the Protac HL?  Is this strong enough for Weaponslight uses?  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 11:47:54 PM EDT
I used to be a Streamlight guy, but now I'm converting to Surefire. Streamlight only warrenties thir shit for 1 year and with the reciept. Surefir is known to rpair old discontinued mil-surp lights free of charge. I'v bought a Streamlight Scorpion that did not funtion out of the box. I JUST got a TLR-1S (because I could use my cabelas bucks, they don't carry SF) it came with the glock key installed, so I noticed the screw sticking out kinda far so I tried to tighten it, found out they cross threaded it and the nut just spins in the key. How's that for QC? I'm not returning it because I just use the glock key anyways.
It's your money, but in my oppinion surefire is a better investment.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:24:23 AM EDT
I too was asking that same question. Then I learned about these

Amazon has good deals for them
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:31:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/26/2015 7:35:33 PM EDT by Camaro822]
I own about a dozen streamlights....
I have had a couple issues over many years and lots of use and streamlight has never asked for a a purchase date, proof of purchase or a dime to repair any of my lights.

That is not a takeaway from Surefire.  I have not as many Surefires, and can attest that their customer service is also top notch.

If you contact cs@streamlight.com i am sure you will get an answer as to whether or not the ProTac HL is weapon rated.
it is EXTREMELY bright.  I keep on in the map pocket of my car door.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:13:50 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Camaro822:
I own about a dozen streamlights....
I have had a couple issues over many years and lots of use and streamlight has never asked for a a purchase date, proof of purchase or a dime to repair any of my lights.

That is not a takeaway from Surefire.  I have not as many Surefires, and can attest that their customer service is also top notch.

If you contact cs@streamlight.com i am sure you will get an answer as to whether or not the ProTac HL is weapon rated.
it is EXTREMELY bright.  I keep on in the map pocket of my car door.
View Quote

Well, my expieriance with Streamlight was that I needed a bulb for a discontinued model, all I wanted to know was if they still SOLD the bulbs. Their CS fired back "it only had a 1 year warrenty and only with original reciept, we no longer make the bulb". So comes another issue: Streamlight has everything proprietary (sp) Their bulbs and other parts are as far as I know not interchangable with anything. Surefire has a huge aftermarket and I have found through expierametation that many other lights are interchangeable with SF parts. Makes it much more likely that your expensive light will still be going in 10+ years rather than in the trash over a small part.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:30:42 PM EDT
For those guys using Protac HL's as a weapons light.  What mount are you using?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:57:28 AM EDT
Primary Arm's Labor Day sale has the ProTac HL with a VTAC mount for $80. Still trying to decide if this is worth it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:14:36 AM EDT
Dual-output lights are problematic and not ideal for use as a WML on a long gun.  If you can program it just to run off the brightest setting, that's fine; but ensure that you don't accidentally reprogram the light.  Streamlight went to the TEN-TAP system, which requires 10 taps of the switch, so that's not a bad way to prevent accidental reprogramming.  

Streamlight makes a decent product, but SureFire lights are better suited for use on lights due to the beam design being more spotlight-oriented whereas Streamlights have more flood effect.  If you use the rifle for HD only, this is irrelevant and you can use whatever works.
Top Top