Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/10/2016 4:37:27 PM EDT
I'm converting a pre-existing upper of mine to .300 blackout and have a 16" pistol length barrel picked out, but cannot seem to find a matching gas block with the .093 port hole size. All gas blocks I'm finding seem to max out at .073ish. I'd like to insure it shoots both super and subsonic loads without issue so I'd like to ask someone with more experience if this would be an issue? If the barrel port is larger, but the gas block covers a percentage wouldn't that create an issue with pressure back feeding or halting at the block?
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:11:50 PM EDT
[#1]
The port size on your barrel is what matters.  Unless for some reason the gas block is severely undersized.  I believe the standard hole size on a gas block is .125" I'd have to look at my print to confirm.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:53:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm converting a pre-existing upper of mine to .300 blackout and have a 16" pistol length barrel picked out, but cannot seem to find a matching gas block with the .093 port hole size. All gas blocks I'm finding seem to max out at .073ish. I'd like to insure it shoots both super and subsonic loads without issue so I'd like to ask someone with more experience if this would be an issue? If the barrel port is larger, but the gas block covers a percentage wouldn't that create an issue with pressure back feeding or halting at the block?
View Quote

I have never seen a gas block with a hole that small. I think most of the ones I have installed have had the hole around 0.125".
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 9:56:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have never seen a gas block with a hole that small. I think most of the ones I have installed have had the hole around 0.125".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

....or even larger.  As stated above, the gas port in the barrel is the most important.  Gas block passages are generally much larger than any gas port you will encounter.  My 300 blk is a mid length gas system and its gas port is 0.120".  A pistol gas port will be smaller than that.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 9:12:27 PM EDT
[#4]
what brand of barrel? thats a lot of port for a 16" pipe.

Link Posted: 6/15/2016 1:28:13 PM EDT
[#5]
ours are Ø.141" full open
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 11:37:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
ours are Ø.141" full open
View Quote

Which ones are those?
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll IM you, otherwise I might get dinged for advertising

We originally had our thru hole at 11/64ths but after doing some research we found that most barrels only needed an opening equivalent to Ø.082" to function. Testing was done on standard 16" barrels firing 5.56

Obviously the diameter had to change the the shorter the barrel, the shorter the distance between the gas port and muzzle, and the larger Ø/lower pressure the cartridge, but we never had anything require a hole larger than about Ø.130"

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 3:17:57 PM EDT
[#8]
It does no good to have a barrel gas port that is larger than any other passage in the rifles gas system. Most gas tubes have an ID of 0.113 to 0.120.  In some cases the ID of the Gas tube becomes the new fixed restriction regardless of how big the gas port is.  The gas tube ID has to be larger than the gas port to eliminate this restriction.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top