Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2003 10:42:45 AM EDT
Here is a challenge, for those who care to accept it.

Build a adaptor that will allow you to bracket a compact video camera to your rail system on your AR15 rifle.

I don't have a prize to award but I bet they would sell.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:12:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I am serious guys. If someone could find a way to mount a camera, microphone and a recording device to a AR, think of the implications for LEO after action reports and self defense shooting claims.

Not to mention military after action reports. The AF has had gun cameras in fighters since before World War II. Now technology is to the point that the individual can have that same kind of equipment.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:58:24 PM EDT
[#2]
They do have camera mounted to your vest or helmet.  It works the same as a gun camera.  it is also linked to commander for tactical purposes.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 1:15:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
They do have camera mounted to your vest or helmet.  It works the same as a gun camera.  it is also linked to commander for tactical purposes.
View Quote

That may work for a soldier. But what about for someone who doesn't wear web gear.

Besides that is part of the land warrior package and they havnt quite got the bugs worked out. Like figuring out how not to have cables running everywhere.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 1:29:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you think a standard camcorder or DV camra could handle the recoil or blast?

I've killed many cheap (minimag) flashlights that weren't designed to be weapons mounted (until I learn you need something that could handle the blast).

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 1:32:35 PM EDT
[#5]
The biggest issue I see is hanging 3 pounds of video recorder off the barrel of a rifle. I know you guys really like hanging tons of stuff on your rifles but I think 3 pounds is even too much for you.

If you went with a backpack mounted Hi8 recorder like the Sony you could use either tiny wireless or wired cameras to link to the backpack.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 2:47:35 PM EDT
[#6]
i AGREE 3 POUNDS ADDED TO WHATEVER ELSE IS ON THE WEAPON IS A LOT OF WEIGHT AND MAKES FOR AN EXTREMELY SLOW POINTING WEAPON.  bUT, i THINK THE SIZE IS AN EVEN BIGGER LIABILITY.  tHE SMALLEST cAM. i'VE SEEN IS WAY TOO BIB/CUMBERSOME.  nOW, SHOULD MAKE A CAM. THE SIZE OF AN AN-PEQ2/PAC4, WEEL THEN THAT'S DIFFERENT.  PENCIL LENSES NEED TO COME A LONG WAY FOR PRACTICALITY.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:09:22 PM EDT
[#7]
[url]www.hosercam.com[/url]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:28:31 PM EDT
[#8]
It is a square box about 3x3 and about inch to two thick. the lens are housed in the unit and a wire comes out to the actual recording unit fasten to the rear of your vest or belt.  This lens unit can be mount to your vest, helmet, head mount, or even like the one from Lumpy, mounted to your ear protector.  It is not a unit that is currently on the Landwarrior, but it is being pushed for trainning and tactical situation that might require a evidence for later court or law suite purpose.  

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:09:20 PM EDT
[#9]
There are a lot of relatively small cameras (like the X-10 gaak ptooey) for security use that should be able to take the recoil/blast and meet the reasonable size goals, but the recorder unit would have to be body mounted.

As noted any camcorder unit would be too big, and using the integrated mount on the camera bottom (the easy way) puts it on top where it would either block the sights or you could use the fold-out lcd screen for your sight.  Hmmm, magic marker a circle or chevron or cross hairs on the screen and yer done, can get rid off all those expensive sights.  (Would that be just like a video game or what???)  Otherwise you'ld need to figure out some kind of side mount.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:11:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It is a square box about 3x3 and about inch to two thick. the lens are housed in the unit and a wire comes out to the actual recording unit fasten to the rear of your vest or belt.  This lens unit can be mount to your vest, helmet, head mount, or even like the one from Lumpy, mounted to your ear protector.  It is not a unit that is currently on the Landwarrior, but it is being pushed for trainning and tactical situation that might require a evidence for later court or law suite purpose.  

View Quote

If you could put the recorder in a pouch on the off side of your butstock and have the CCD, microphone and some form of illuminator on your rails?  With a pressure switch somewhere to start/stop recording to save battery life.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:16:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There are a lot of relatively small cameras (like the X-10 gaak ptooey) for security use that should be able to take the recoil/blast and meet the reasonable size goals, but the recorder unit would have to be body mounted.

As noted any camcorder unit would be too big, and using the integrated mount on the camera bottom (the easy way) puts it on top where it would either block the sights or you could use the fold-out lcd screen for your sight.  Hmmm, magic marker a circle or chevron or cross hairs on the screen and yer done, can get rid off all those expensive sights.  (Would that be just like a video game or what???)  Otherwise you'ld need to figure out some kind of side mount.
View Quote

Thats why I thought about a mounting bracket that would hold the minicam at its normal place but would then mount to the rail.

A seperate CCD unit I thought would cost too much and would add cable. But I have seen that the prices are lower than I anticipated and the biggest problem would be finding a recording unit that would fit.

Most camcorders have a analog AV jack that you can pulg a remote CCD into and will record without having to use its built in CCD.

PAS-13 Thermal Imagers have camcorder jacks by the way, but at $15,000 each that is way too much money, and they are big bulky battery hogs the size of a old AN/PVS-2 Starlight Scope from the 60's.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 12:29:44 PM EDT
[#12]
If I ever see one of those on my soldiers I'm going to rip it off.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 3:34:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Has anybody seen the HK Video Camera system that
is mountable to an upper picatinny rail on top of an optic? It's made for the PSG-1. I saw one for sale in SGN for a ridiculously high price.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If I ever see one of those on my soldiers I'm going to rip it off.
View Quote

Why? You don't want after action video for debriefing your men?

But it would not be suitable for EVERY soldier but like one per squad.

On the other hand one per LEO would be nice.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top