Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2005 4:50:24 AM EDT
    Six months ago I picked up a SGW receiver that had seen better days so I mailed it off to OLYARMS along $150.00 to have new built in its place.  A couple of months later I get my new SGW lower, build my M4orgery using the MAGPUL MIAD grip w/ built in trigger guard and got to the range only to be dissapointed.  I found that only my OKAY magazines would drop free from the rifle.  The rest of my mags, DSI SANCHEZ, PARSON PRECISION and some blank floor plate mags stick in the lower and don't drop free.  I call OLYARMS and am told to mail in the lower w/ one of the mags that won't drop free and they will see what they can do.  So I remove the stock and grip and mail it off to OLY.  After six weeks I call OLY and am told that there was a "problem" with the trigger guard causing the mags the stick in the mag well.  When asked to describe the problem in detail they just danced around my questions and said it was being mailed back to me.

I just got the lower back with the "problem" mag I sent them and find that the mag now drops free.  Problem fixed?  NOPE!  I went to check the rest of mags that hung up in the lower and find that they still WON"T DROP!!!!

All my mags work PERFECT in my STAG lower (and my previous Bushy) but with CT laws I am stuck with this OLY lower if I want my evil features.  So do I send the lower back to OLY again or should I just buy OKAY mags and get rid of the ten "problem" magazines???
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:02:15 AM EDT
[#1]
That is a very common problem with Oly. I’m surprised that they continue to make tight mag wells on newly produced receivers, I’m sure they have heard it more than once from customers. If it was my lower I’d use the OKay mags for SHTF situations and keep the other mags for training. You gave Oly a chance, screw giving them a 2nd attempt.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:14:30 AM EDT
[#2]
When I first had the problem I took the lower to my gunsmith and they mic'ed it and statedthat the mag well was under sized.  So when I called OLY before mailing it in I told them what my gunsmith said and they seemed a little mad stating that their lowers are machined to "proper specs"
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:30:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
When I first had the problem I took the lower to my gunsmith and they mic'ed it and statedthat the mag well was under sized.  So when I called OLY before mailing it in I told them what my gunsmith said and they seemed a little mad stating that their lowers are machined to "proper specs"

If that’s the case, I guess all the other Mfgrs are milled out of specs. Because it seems like this problem only resides with Oly lowers.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:14:51 AM EDT
[#4]
just gently squeeze the mags in a vice a bit.  
Usually that helps a ton.  And makes them drop free.

Or invest in a lot of magpuls.    
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:46:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I had one (1) "almost experience" with an Olympic AR....just before the AWB kicked in along with sky-rocketing scalping prices...while gunshow dealers were getting $1,200-$1,500 for ANY AR.....and some welder at work offered me "A REAL STEAL OF A DEAL"....his Olympic AR w/ 6 Mags and a Plastic Case for $1,100.....I told'im to bring it in so I could take a look at it and the following day he did...and I knew from the moment he opened the case that I wasn't gonna buy it.

Of the many little things that didn't appear to be quite right (with regards to a standard mil-spec like details) the first thing that jumped out at me was the finish on the lower reciever...it wasn't like a mil-spec hard anodize but more like a crinkle finish textured black paint which gave it this cheesy mattel plastic like appearance...he11...my first thought was he painted it himself...but then I flip it over and there's all the factory stampings and logo...then I pulled the charging handle back and it felt like I was dragging a small boat anchor through pea gravel....followed with a long gritty trigger pull....I had the cash in my back pocket but set the thing down 30 seconds after I picked it up and told'im...thanks for bringing it in but...sorry...I'm not interested. Then he said he'd take $1,000...I thought for a second then...Nah...No Thanks....then he told me C'mon!!!...are you crazy?...that's a great price especially with 6 mags and a case tossed in....you'll be sorry you passed this up!!!....He lied...as I never regretted that decision. LOL!!!

So...it doesn't surprise me to read what I'm reading here..as imho?...the one Oly I looked at many years ago was a capitol POS....and of course I guess I shouldn't judge ALL Oly's based on that one Oly but...damn man. LOL!!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:57:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Lucky for me the lower is the only OLY part on the rifle the rest is all Stag.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:04:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Silly me, but I'm a fan of Oly Arms.  My first (civilian) AR was an Oly, it looked good, it worked well, and it was accurate.  Traded it for an M-1.

Second AR came from a buddy , an EA during the ban... Traded that one for an M-14

Got the itch to build an M16a1 clone, so I bought another Oly lower... and my experience with this one is the same as my first. Looks clean, works well.

on the flipside, now I have a Colt LE6520 lower and it's no comparison. The Oly is on backburner for beater duty.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:09:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I had one (1) "almost experience" with an Olympic AR....just before the AWB kicked in along with sky-rocketing scalping prices...while gunshow dealers were getting $1,200-$1,500 for ANY AR.....and some welder at work offered me "A REAL STEAL OF A DEAL"....his Olympic AR w/ 6 Mags and a Plastic Case for $1,100.....I told'im to bring it in so I could take a look at it and the following day he did...and I knew from the moment he opened the case that I wasn't gonna buy it.

Of the many little things that didn't appear to be quite right (with regards to a standard mil-spec like details) the first thing that jumped out at me was the finish on the lower reciever...it wasn't like a mil-spec hard anodize but more like a crinkle finish textured black paint which gave it this cheesy mattel plastic like appearance...he11...my first thought was he painted it himself...but then I flip it over and there's all the factory stampings and logo...then I pulled the charging handle back and it felt like I was dragging a small boat anchor through pea gravel....followed with a long gritty trigger pull....I had the cash in my back pocket but set the thing down 30 seconds after I picked it up and told'im...thanks for bringing it in but...sorry...I'm not interested. Then he said he'd take $1,000...I thought for a second then...Nah...No Thanks....then he told me C'mon!!!...are you crazy?...that's a great price especially with 6 mags and a case tossed in....you'll be sorry you passed this up!!!....He lied...as I never regretted that decision. LOL!!!

So...it doesn't surprise me to read what I'm reading here..as imho?...the one Oly I looked at many years ago was a capitol POS....and of course I guess I shouldn't judge ALL Oly's based on that one Oly but...damn man. LOL!!!

No telling which Oly he was trying to sell you....... I can't think of too many Oly's that are above $1000 new, and get real you can buy those mags he was bragging about for $15 apiece if you shop around.  And the free plastic case comes with the rifle from Oly for free????  He was going to give  you a good screwing.  Good NO BUY

I have an Oly and have not had any problems with it.  I traded off a bolt action rifle I had for a Oly Plinker with about $300 worth of extras hung on it......adjustable stock, free floating handguard with accessory rails, houge grips and a scope already mounted, but guess what??? It holds 3/4MOA 100yards (3 shot groups) with M193 ammo.  Buddy of mine who can shoot better than I had it down to 1/2MOA, I am really enjoying it.  Had one mag that was stove piping on the last 5 rounds, so I got with a buddy of mine who is Military, acquired about 5 more mags and tossed the troubled one.

I know there is a lot of gripes and complaints about Oly, but I am really enjoying it.  Be glad when it cools off enough to blast a few coyotes with it.  Plus the guy I traded with is a good friend so if it breaks (he) can cash in on the life time warranty.........for mehock.gif

I am fixing to start on another AR with all the bells and whistles.... Dollar here and there and the wife won't notice as quckly.  Another friend of mine has a class3 FFL so I can get what I want (not going illegal though) don't want to abuse what I have access to.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:29:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I know there's a lot of OLY haters on here, but I've never had a problem with mine that was built just 5 months ago.  Thousands of rounds, and the only problem with it turned out to be a bad mag.  Good finish, reliable, and I beat the hell out of this rifle.  It always comes back asking for more!  And the factory trigger was MUCH better than the factory trigger in my Bushy.  Just my .02
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:32:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I got one rebuilt a while ago.  I have no complaints.

Max
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top