Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/16/2017 4:08:56 PM EDT
In terms of clarity and low light performance which is better ?
I have the vortex Viper PST 1-4 it is a great scope very clear and works well in low light conditions.
I use mine to shoot coyotes and shots are often at night under decent moonlight.
How well will the PA 1-8 acss work in the moonlight ?

I am also somewhat interested in the 4-14x44 acss hud.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:57:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you talking about the $1300 PA 1-8 Platinum or the regular $400 PA 1-8?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:33:02 PM EDT
[#2]
24mm objective at 8x in moonlight?  Uh, that's a 3mm exit pupil.  Your own pupil will be open to about 5mm maybe 6mm.  Much of your retina will not be activated.  Image will be dim until you lower magnification to about 5x.  This assumes equal optical lens quality and equal coatings.

My problem with the current darling 1-8x24mm scopes is that they need a larger objective lens to be useful in low light at 8x.  Otherwise, their low light utility is limited and you have to dial magnification back until you get an exit pupil that matches that of your own eye.  You can see the image noticeably brighten as you reduce magnification at dusk or "moonlight."

I'll be interested when they come out with a 1-8x40, or maybe just a 1-8x36.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 8:53:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I have Primary Arms older 1-6.5 on my AR-10, Vortex 1-4 on my AR-15 14.5 upper and the Primary Arms 4-14 on my 18 upper.  All three are clear, I wouldn't call anyone of them clearer than the other.  They are all easy to focus, easy to gain sight picture and I haven't had any issues where they lose their zero or get out of adjustment.  I have yet to use any of them at night or low light situations so I can't help you there.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 12:15:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the PA 1-6 ACSS, glass is good, but not sharp as I'd like (looking at a 1" ring at 100yd). I would go with the Viper.

I just ordered the Viper PST Gen II 1-6.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 1:15:59 AM EDT
[#5]
OP is asking about low light performance of a 1-8x24.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 10:46:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

yes is that a problem? My 1-4 does very well in low light. I was hoping to up the magnification and not loose the low light capability.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:42:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

yes is that a problem? My 1-4 does very well in low light. I was hoping to up the magnification and not loose the low light capability.
View Quote

I go over the 1-8 SFP in the video below and I also have a PST.   In terms of light gathering I'd say they're equivalent.   Glass clarity is about the same with the PST being slightly clearer on the edges.   But, the lack of clutter in the 1-8x will help you see objects in the real world vs the cluttered (my opinion) PST reticle

Primary Arms 1-6x And 1-8x SFP Scopes With ACSS Reticle Comparison And Review (HD)
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 7:07:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd go with the PA because the 1-4 PST has an almost useless reticle.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 7:25:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Can't speak to the 1-X versions, but I do have one of the illuminated 4-14 ACSS FFP HUD on one of the bolt guns. Glass is excellent, especially for the price. I was on the fence about the reticle before purchasing. I thought it might be too cluttered. Definitely not the case. It's very well thought out and is quite effective. I've had no issues and would definitely consider another if I was needing something for a different rifle.

Honestly, the only "issue" was the lack of a zero stop. But, I don't know of many scopes in that price range with that feature. Fortunately, I found a video a guy had posted that effectively acts as a zero stop with no permanent modification. I gave it a shot. Cost less than $1 and only took about 30 seconds to "install". And it freaking works!  

Anyone with one with this, or any of the PA scopes, might want to check out this solution...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bhqvQUCVrHw
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 11:16:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'd go with the PA because the 1-4 PST has an almost useless reticle.
View Quote

Amen to that.  Ditched mine for a XTR 1-4.  Wish I would have waited a bit for the 1-5, still like the XTR though.  

I had a 1-6 for what it's worth.  That glass wasn't as clear as my Vortex but the eye box was unbelievably unforgiving.  

I have a 5.56 3x prism inbound from PA.  We'll see how that works out.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 12:16:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks I was hoping you may  chime in. I have watched all your visitors on the lower power scopes more than once.
Thanks for all you do for the gun community keep up the good work !

Quoted:

I go over the 1-8 SFP in the video below and I also have a PST.   In terms of light gathering I'd say they're equivalent.   Glass clarity is about the same with the PST being slightly clearer on the edges.   But, the lack of clutter in the 1-8x will help you see objects in the real world vs the cluttered (my opinion) PST reticle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfVEQXVxi4A
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 3:26:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks I was hoping you may  chime in. I have watched all your visitors on the lower power scopes more than once.
Thanks for all you do for the gun community keep up the good work !
View Quote

Thanks for watching.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 1:14:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Same here. I burn through my data plan if I'm at a slow post at work watching Mrgunsngear vids. In my top 3 YouTube channels! Great reviews on PA optics.

S/F

Al
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:36:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Well I sold my Vortex 1-4
My new PA 1-8 will be here friday.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:53:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought one of them blem models off of ebay. It was replacing a Burris 1-4 on my 16'' middy. Very pleased with it so far, burned 250 rounds last Sunday at the range at 50 and 100 yards. Pretty much just as clear as the Burris that was on there, the eyebox is tight on 8x. As someone who owns an ACOG with the chevron shooting this 1-8 with a chevron above 4x was pretty neat. Next ranch trip I will stretch it's legs to see what I can do at extended range.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:51:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unpossible due to exit pupil. In low light, your pupil will dilate to maybe 6mm. If the scope's exit pupil is smaller than that, your eye will not receive all of the available light from the scope. Calculate exit pupil by dividing the objective lens size by the power. A 24mm objective at 8x has a 3mm exit pupil. That's going to suck in low light (and have a small eye box which creates another set of issues). You have to dial down to 4x to get the full low-light capabilities.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top