Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2003 4:32:25 PM EDT
Has anyone seen this before?
I experienced my my first failure to extract last week.
Upon further investigation of the extractor I found the extractor pin in really bad shape. I literally had to beat it out with a hammer. The pin looks like it was worn badly in the area where the extractor pin holes touch the pin. The flat "shaft" (extractor pin) area looks like the wall of a seized piston.
The inside of the extractor looks like it has not been de-burred (after machining a saw like edge is left by material that was rolled over by the cutting tool) in the center between both "Pivot arms". This sharp edge looks like it was the cause to the failure of the extractor pin. The extractor itself looks fine but I will take no chances and replace the whole thing, repair this bolt assembly and keep It for a spare.
This is a Bushmaster bolt assembly that was purchased new with the upper. The bolt/carrier assy. have approx. 1k on them.

My solution to this problem is to take a small file and de-burr the extractor myself. I have never looked this closely at a extractor before, but if anyone else has a new extractor I would appreciate a close inspection and post your results here.

I am not pointing fingers at Bushmaster at all. I think Bushmaster products are of excellent quality. Just wanted to let others know of my findings.

Thanks
Samuel
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 8:05:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Not exactly the same but I have seen extractor pins fail.

A few years back Colt turned out a bunch of shitty extractor pins. Our Narc unit ended up with 6 new M4's. After about 1K down range three of the 6 had broken extractor pins. I replaced them and they have not had a problem, other than worn out gas rings, since. I did not see the type of problem you had with your extractor. Our pins just sheared in half.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top