Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2003 7:11:46 PM EDT
Ok need some help making a choice. I am looking for an AR to fill the bill for an alternate Designated Marksman Rig (223). Have read some on the Oly PCR1 and PCR16, anyother Idea's? Also I am going to have to foot the bill myself so lets not get too crazy but want an accurate rifle.

Thank you for your time in advance.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 11:47:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know what the concept of "alternate" DMR is. I'm Guessing 20in rifle with some capability to shoot accurately.

Build your own.

Bushmaster HBARs are generally 1/2MOA or under when free floated and fired by someone competent.

They aren't unfortunately availible with a 1/7 twist for the heavy 77grain rounds. The 1/9 will handle 50-68grain with accuracy, the 1/7's are government profile if they are chrome lined and these probably aren't as accurate. I'ld expect 1.2MOA from them.

The cheapest settup? a 20in HBAR with FF tube.

Better, a 20inch Hbar with FF RAS or rifle length SIR.

Best? the same fluted for reduced weight and inhanced accuracy.

The third option should cost:
$250 (barrel)
$350-$375 FF RAS
$85-100 upper
$130 B/BC/CH
$20 gas tube
$10 FH if applicable.

$860 for that upper, a good lower with match trigger from RRA is $300 or so.

[b]The match trigger makes shooting accurately easy.[/b]
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 3:41:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Go with Oly PCR 1 for a 20" bbl or the PCR 3 for a 16" bbl.  Both have Oly's SUM barrel and will drive tacks all day long.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 10:33:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Best? the same fluted for reduced weight and inhanced accuracy.
View Quote

Fluting can not and will not ever enhance accuracy.  It has the least negative impact on accuracy while cutting weight.  

All other things being equal an unfluted barel will be more accurate than its fluted twin.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 10:36:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Take a look at RRA's Varminters.  They are SS and have a 1/8 twist.  May be heavy, but excellent rifles.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 12:06:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out:  [url]http://www.impactguns.com/store/knights_sr15_match.html[/url]

[img]http://www.knightarmco.com/images/62003/sr15matchrifle.jpg[/img]

Probably the best thing going for a DMR rig you will see this side of no-questions-asked Govt. Credit Card [;)].

A KAC Match SR-15 has a Krieger barrel (most likely 1:8 twist), FF RAS and KAC 2-Stage trigger.  All on sale for under [b]$1500[/b].  That is a [b]FANTASTIC[/b] deal!
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 3:55:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Guys thank you for the info so far you have given me a lot to look at and think about.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 4:00:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Does Impact sell just the uppers only? I'm planning another upper, it might be to my advantage to get the whole thing already together.

Mark
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:31:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Does Impact sell just the uppers only? I'm planning another upper, it might be to my advantage to get the whole thing already together.

Mark
View Quote

I haven't seen KAC uppers or lowers available for sale seperately except by private owners.  If we're lucky KAC will sell URX upper some day!
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:58:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I think I might hold off for a bit. If we hit the 200 mark for Bushmaster to do those 1n7 16" barrels, I will go with that. If not, I'll take it from there.

Thanks

Mark
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 1:03:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I just finished breaking in a new Fulton Armory upper...

20" Keiger and a flat top upper...1:7.75 twist

This this is amazing!  I am getting .30-.50 already!

Feeding it 60 grain VMax, 69 or 77 grain Matchkings (Black Hills Red Box) it hasn't really shown to be too picky

Can't wait until it really gets broken in...
Clint at Fulton is great to work with and built me a keeper!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top