Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/17/2017 2:11:49 PM EDT
I'm looking to polish a Type C stock to a high glossy shine look. I had thought of painting it as others have done but I don't want to loose any of the original character of the stock. I'd like to hear some of the methods you guys are using to really make them pop.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:31:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm looking to polish a Type C stock to a high glossy shine look. I had thought of painting it as others have done but I don't want to loose any of the original character of the stock. I'd like to hear some of the methods you guys are using to really make them pop.
View Quote

I use 10,000 grit sandpaper (coarser grit to start if there are scratches or blemishes that I want to remove).
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:17:42 PM EDT
[#2]
And finish it up with some hand polishing with Mothers Mag Wheel polish.

Somebody here turned me on to it a while back and works great.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:39:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And finish it up with some hand polishing with Mothers Mag Wheel polish.

Somebody here turned me on to it a while back and works great.
View Quote

Mother's has a polishing ball you can hook up to a drill that does wonders.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:51:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been saving for a CNC mill by polishing and selling furniture sets on gunbroker.  it's a little work, but you can do it while you're watching TV.  I'm able to get a great shine on them by sanding, starting with 240 or 300 grit, then working up to 800 or 1000 grit.  Then, I rub it out with turtle wax rubbing compound, followed by turtle wax polishing compound.  Finally, I wash it with dish soap, dry and give it a final coat of carnauba wax.  They end up like this:

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:35:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I hand polished with 600 1000 1500.  I only took about 30 minutes.  It took the dullness out.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 7:22:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Ive used a small DA sander, starti g with 320 paper and working my way to 600. I stay off the parting line that runs along the top and bottom.  Flitz makes a polish for use on plastic that works great.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 7:44:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Man, all you guys work too hard.Hand rub,,, 200,300 600 800 grit???? Not me brudder. Mothers wax ball on a drill or drill press. Automobile rubbing compound if lots of scratches, if not move to step 2. Automobile polishing compound. Depending on level of shine or gloss you want, 2 minutes up to 5 per HG. Same for stock. Like glass!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:10:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I wet sand with 220, and 400 grits, then follow up with dry newspaper (around 1600 grit, I've been told) and then Turtle wax. I have also used pure tung oil to make less dry looking before the wax (may take 3 or 4 applications then let dry).

Don't forget to sand from the stock over the edge of the buttplate with the 400. It'll even everything up, and smooth out where the stock gets beat up there.  Typically these aren't very evenly attached and have rasp marks they use to knock off the big uneven differences.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:11:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Good results with head light restoration kit that comes with the polish ball.  Mothers and Turtle wax make it and auto zone has them
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top