Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2006 4:58:58 PM EDT
I just picked up a RRA complete lower receiver and discovered that the magwell is too tight for some of my AR magazines. The lower looks and feels like it is good quality, but some of my Colt 30 round magazines don't drop free when I press the magazine release. All of my old Colt 20 round magazines drop free with no problem, and I'm wondering what's going on and how should I should deal with it ? Any help/ideas would be great!

Thanks,

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:06:12 PM EDT
[#1]
It sounds like a magazine problem..

COLT is superior to RRA so they're not compatible... Just kidding...

Seriously, Go talk to Steve in the RRA industry forum, he may know if there were/are issues with RRA's mag wells... But it sounds like its just the fat COLT mag creating the difficulties... As a matter of fact I have a older COLT mag that fits tight in my COLT carbine... I bet its just the mags giving you shit...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#2]
i had the same problems w/ my MEGA lower

its more likely the mags

the feed lips probably have widened too much and they wont go in or drop free smoothly

you can try a vice/c-clap and slowly recompress the mag lips...

DONT think about taking a file or dremel to the mag well pls....
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:08:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
i had the same problems w/ my MEGA lower

its more likely the mags

the feed lips probably have widened too much and they wont go in or drop free smoothly

you can try a vice/c-clap and slowly recompress the mag lips...

DONT think about taking a file or dremel to the mag well pls....

+1, do NOT modify the receiver.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:24:44 PM EDT
[#4]
You must only use DEA approved mags.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:26:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:01:01 PM EDT
[#6]
My RRA's don't like Parsons or those steel mags, but everything else is flawless..  I sold all of the mags that didn't fit and bought new ones.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:42:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

thats all I use...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:51:56 PM EDT
[#8]
+1 on mag problem.  

Try a couple of new mil-spec ones from 44mag.com.  My new RRA has no problem with any mag I use--but I don't have any Colt mags.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:24:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Shouldn't  a lower accept any funtioning MilSpec magazine?  It sounds like a lower problem to me.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:49:30 PM EDT
[#10]
i had the same problem with the  steel mags, so i went and got some quality D&H mags . It fixed my problem.................
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:57:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
+1 on mag problem.  

Try a couple of new mil-spec ones from 44mag.com.  My new RRA has no problem with any mag I use--but I don't have any Colt mags.

+1 i have some old colt mags that dont fit in my RRA too so it is the mag....but some new mags and you will be fine
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:51:55 PM EDT
[#12]
slap it harder...it will work in.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:09:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Shouldn't  a lower accept any funtioning MilSpec magazine?  It sounds like a lower problem to me.

Any Milspec in spec!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:02:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I have exactly the same problem with my old Oly-lowered frankengun.  For  years I thought the problem was my cheap-s**t  magazines.  I then chanced upon two brand new, in the wrapper, FN made GI magazines.  Neither of those would fit in the well.

Because the gun now works fine otherwise, I went through my magazines and segregated them according to whether or not they fit the magazine well.  I tried contacting Oly by e-mail with my problem but got back nothing helpful.

My recommendation is that  you first contact RRA and very politely explain the situation and note that you are very, very dissatisfied.  Then attempt to segregate your magazines as I did; at least  you will be able to shoot  until the problem is resolved.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:13:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Have you used those mags in any other AR's? It very well might be the mags and would focus on that first.

Either way. I have a PWA lower with a tight mag well. Mags that functioned fine in other lowers were very tight in it. Even my mag block that work fine in other lowers was extremely tight in the PWA lower (to the point of having to hammer it on\off) but after using it for a while it loosened up to an acceptable level.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:30:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I have exactly the same problem with my old Oly-lowered frankengun.  For  years I thought the problem was my cheap-s**t  magazines.  I then chanced upon two brand new, in the wrapper, FN made GI magazines.  Neither of those would fit in the well.

Oly Arms makes their mag wells tight on purpose, they think it helps with reliability.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:36:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oly Arms makes their mag wells tight on purpose, they think it helps with reliability.

That's a new one on me!  

My shooting buddy has an Oly lower that has a serial number  consecutive to mine.  My GI magazines fit his well fine.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:52:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I just picked up a RRA complete lower receiver and discovered that the magwell is too tight for some of my AR magazines....how should I should deal with it ? Any help/ideas would be great!

Drop that defective rifle in the mail for me to dispose of for you.  Its obviously damaged, worthless, and in need of disposal.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:04:51 AM EDT
[#19]
mag issue, see where the mag is hanging up. On my Bushmaster it was the magazine latch area on the mags that had to be bumped in .010 to drop free. Problem was only with USGI 30's never had a problem with USGI 20 or Britsh 30's dropping free.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top