Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2003 10:20:44 AM EDT
I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I need a quick and dirty guide to ARMS, KAC and anybody elses rail systems.  What's available, what features do they have, who stocks what, etc.  The web is woefully behind in this area and a bleeding edge site like ARFcom should be the place to look.  Maybe a tacked thread with specs or the like.

It would certainly help those of us out here trying to determine what rail system to choose!

Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:43:32 AM EDT
[#1]
uuhhmmm....did you read the thread tacked at the top of this forum?
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:55:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeaaaaahh, I did, when it was fresh a couple of months ago.  It didn't tell me thing one about the status of new mounts that are constantly being referenced around here.  Lots of talk but no pictures or much regarding their utility.  Just thinking it would be nice to have a thread ala the AR Comparison chart for us discerning shoppers!
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 12:14:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 12:30:30 PM EDT
[#4]
How about listing weight as well?
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 12:38:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've been working on this today. I'll be updating it soon with pics and other info. Suggestions?
View Quote

Wow, TheRicker, you get the Serendipity Award of the Month!  This is [b]exactly[/b] what I was looking for.  

Well, weights [i]would[/i] be nice [:D].
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 12:55:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Ricker, Nice Graph,
1. don't forget that the 45's aren't true uninterrupted rails, they detach/flip for the dedicated PEQ-2 mount.
2. For the less informed, you might want to change: "cut off delta ring" to Cutoff/remove"  just so they know it's not a permanent/irreversible change.
3. And, the 58's a bi-level.

Nice job, though, SUL2
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 3:25:01 PM EDT
[#7]
[b]TheRicker[/b] - EXCELLENT work on that chart, and I vote to tack it up!

Some suggestions on the  #45's:

1) put [i]"level"[/i] for the [b]Top Rail[/b] description, then [i]"PEQ Top Mount"[/i] under [b]Other Feat.[/b];

2) put [i]"PEQ Optional"[/i] for the [b]Top Rail[/b] description.

Great job! .... Chris
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:29:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Very nice chart! How about a colum that might say rail choices, or selective rails, to show there is a choice, at least on the SIR. Heat shilds on the SIR I would classify as not needed/ NA, because of the way it has a dif. way to handle heat by it's handguard.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:02:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've been working on this today. I'll be updating it soon with pics and other info. Suggestions?

[url]appliedinc.com/railsys.gif[/url]
View Quote

Thanks for your hardwork!
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:23:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cool! how about B.M.A.S.?,  or C-More?
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:25:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeaaaaahh, I did, when it was fresh a couple of months ago.  It didn't tell me thing one about the status of new mounts that are constantly being referenced around here.  Lots of talk but no pictures or much regarding their utility.  Just thinking it would be nice to have a thread ala the AR Comparison chart for us discerning shoppers!
View Quote

Sorry, I was trying NOT to be a smartass.[:)]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:49:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:35:30 AM EDT
[#13]
That's great, In addition to wieght and average price would be nice for comparison.

Excellent.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 12:21:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:48:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:28:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:34:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Are you going to add PRI and Daniel Defense?  Also if you ever are able to get the weights be sure it is weight vs original set up.  For example the SIR M is weight of unit minus Delta ring.  The FF RAS is weight of unit minus Delta ring and barrel nut, etc.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:43:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 8:20:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Ricker - excellent job.

I added a little bit from a blurb I am working on...

Knights Armament Company (KAC) Free Float RAS
-no traditional under barrel attachment can be attached, allows for unimpeded mounting of (most) optics, light and or lasers.  The barrel nut can affect some optic positioning.  KAC M1913 Rail Specifications allow for M1913 Accessories to be mounted and retained with ease.

KAC URX 4x4
- Mounts M203 or KAC AGL system via locking rails allows for freefloat of entire system. Due to the unbroken top rail it allows for unimpeded mounting of optics, light and or lasers.  KAC M1913 Rail Specifications allow for M1913 Accessories to be mounted and retained with ease

KAC M4 RAS*
- Does not free float the barrel, M203 may be mounted, allows for unimpeded mounting of optics, light and or lasers.  KAC M1913 Rail Specifications allow for M1913 Accessories to be mounted and retained with ease

KAC RASII*
- M203 may be mounted but cannot be free floated, “bridge: on receiver is excellent for positioning of the Aimpoint CCO but can interfere with position of magnified combat optic.  Unimpeded mounting of lights and or lasers.  KAC M1913 Rail Specifications allow for M1913 Accessories to be mounted and retained with ease

Atlantic Research Marketing Systems (ARMS) #45 SIR-M*
- M203 may be affixed – but requires the removal of the barrel clamp, which in turn affects the mounting of the system, allows for unimpeded mounting of optics, light and or lasers.  Removal of the handguard required the removal of the side rails and any retained accessory.  ARMS M1913 Rail Specifications allow for M1913 Accessories to be mounted and retained with ease.  May not be mounted to unaltered Diemaco Flattop rail due to Diemaco upper receiver rail not being proper M1913 specifications.  Should be able to Mount ARMS proprietarial AGL mount - but have not yet been able to access.

ARMS #45SIR-C*
- M203 may be affixed – but requires the removal of the barrel clamp, which in turn affects the mounting of the system, allows for unimpeded mounting of optics, light and or lasers. Removal of the handguard required the removal of the side rails and any retained accessory.  ARMS M1913 Rail Specifications allow for M1913 Accessories to be mounted and retained with ease.  May not be mounted to unaltered Diemaco Flattop rail due to Diemaco upper receiver rail not being proper M1913 specifications.
Ditto on ARMS AGL mount

ARMS #51 SIR*
- M203 may be affixed – but requires the removal of the barrel clamp, which in turn affects the mounting of the system, allows for unimpeded mounting of optics, light and or lasers. Removal of the handguard required the removal of the side rails and any retained accessory.  ARMS M1913 Rail Specifications allow for M1913 Accessories to be mounted and retained with ease.  Only drop in FF system for C8 Carbine.
Ditto on ARMS AGL mount

Olympic Arms FIRSH*
-no traditional under barrel attachment can be attached

Colt M4A1
-M203 may be slung via traditional or KAC QD mounting

Diemaco C7 (20” Diemaco 1:7 Gov’t Profile)
- Diemaco M203 mount required – no other mounting possible

Diemaco C8 (14.5” Diemaco 1:7 Pencil)
- no method of affixing possible

Colt M16A4 w/ M5 RAS (20” Colt 1:7 Gov’t Profile)*
- Does nor free float the barrel, M203 may be mounted either conventional or with Diemaco M203A1 mount, allows for unimpeded mounting of optics, light and or lasers

Precision Reflex Industries (PRI) Carbon Fiber (20” SS DCM Profile 1:8)*
-no traditional under barrel attachment can be attached, requires the ARMS#38ex to fully allow for unimpeded optic positioning.

Diemaco Light and Laser Mount for Gov’t Barrels on C7
-no traditional under barrel attachment can be attached, due to interference by the Light and or Laser when affixed

Diemaco Light and Laser Mount for Gov’t Barrels on C8
-no traditional under barrel attachment can be attached, due to interference by the Light and or Laser when affixed

Link Posted: 5/18/2003 10:20:45 AM EDT
[#20]
i'm glad others are as obbsessed as i am over ar's and accessories...i don't feel as abnormal when visit this site. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 9:41:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:03:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:14:26 AM EDT
[#23]
TheRicker,
one note, the new versions of the PRI tube do have heat sheilds. Don know if you knew that. Excellent chart.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:00:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I am pretty sure The lower portion of the handguard on RASII has a heat shield.  Your chart is excellent!  Great for everyone!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:06:11 AM EDT
[#25]

I thinking it would also be nice if the weight of each unit was listed.  Even without it it's still an awesome chart! [:D]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:26:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Ricker,

Any help I can offer I would be glad to do...

I am still so far behind on the SIR (many variant), RIS/RAS/RASII/FFAS/URX, FIRSH, etc/ rail test.  Some of the guys took stuff we were going to tes overseas...
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:46:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#28]
TheRicker,

The RASII has a heat shield on the lower panel like the RIS and RAS.

Wes and PaulE are the best for weighing the items, as they tend to have several disassembled units available.
I have nothing apart right now - of the stuff I have lying around.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top