Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2005 6:25:24 PM EDT

Basically, the piece in red (can anyone provide a name for that piece) is loose, and moves easily, left to right (in pic), or rather front to back in relation to the stock.

I'm assuming I can tighten down the piece in green to help the red piece fit more snugly to the stock.  

How do I go about doing this?  It looks like there is a retainer, I guess I punch it out, then I can tighten the piece in green?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:34:38 PM EDT
[#1]
It sounds like the piece you are referring to as loose is called the buffer tube. This is somewhat common. You just need to tighten it into the lower receiver. Sometimes a bit of *blue* loctite is needed. This way, it is tight and will stay tight but can be loosened later if changing to an A1 or A2 stock.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:19:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Isn't this a buffer tube?

That part isn't loose.  I have 3 other M4 stocks, and they all have a little rattle.  I understand that there will be some rattle.  However, in the pic in my original post, I'm talking about the latch/hinge piece (circled in red).  It isn't loose in my other M4 stocks, so I know that it isn't normal.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:42:42 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a Bushy. They call it the "Telestock latch", and the pin is the "Pin, Buttstock slide lock" for the top portion, the lower piece that you have circled is the " Lockpin Nut."  It's held on with a roll pin.  

I just pulled mine out and it's the same way. I don't think tightening up the pin would do much but make it harder to adjust or remove.  It seems that the latch has a large hole or even a notch in it. Looking it it even more, it has to be that way or it couldn't be adjusted.   Look at where the nut is against the latch and push it, like you are going to move the adjust the stock.  See how the angle of the lock pin changes in relation to the latch?  If it didn't have that play it would bind.

Unless it is so loose that it rattles when you are just picking up the rifle, I suggest not worrying about it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:55:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Unicorn  

Thanks for the help with the nomenclature.  The stock in question is new, so I'm going to see if I can exchange it for another.  Yes, I know that they should be a little loose.  However, the one I have is very loose, which I do know is abnormal.

I looked at it good and hard before posting on here.  What I wanted to do, would be to knock out the roll pin, tighten the "pin, buttstock slide lock" one hundered and eighty degrees, maybe one full turn, then reinstall the roll pin.

It appears that the "pin, buttstock slide lock" is about 1/16th of an inch further from the telestock latch than it should be.

I tried gently to remove the roll pin, but I didn't want to scratch it, so I think I'll just exchange it for another.

Another thing, the if the holes in the buffer were just slightly deeper, the pin would sit in deeper, and the pressure against the latch would be enough to keep it form being loose.  I took the tube out from the stock, and the latch was no longer loose (due to the pin going in all the way).

However, I'm not going to do any mods to my buffer, so I think I'll just exchange the stock for another.

Thanks!

Edit - Formatting, and clarification.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:22:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I just got my replacement stock from my dealer, and put it on the original tube, and it still has the loose play.

If there are any others on here having a similar problem, could you please post?
I suspect the problem might be the holes in the tube might be about 1/8 of an inch too shallow, which is not allowing the latch pin to go in all the way. The latch pin should be holding the latch firmly in place with no play.

When the tube is taken out of the stock, the latch pin is able to retract all the way, leaving no play in the latch.

There's another thread talking about a similar problem: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=264176&page=1
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:51:05 PM EDT
[#6]
There will be a little bit of play.  If there is too much play, here's how you can fix it:  remove the stock from the receiver extension.  Punch out the roll pin holding the nut onto the plunger.  Insert your finger into the stock cavity to put tension on the plunger head.  Screw the nut on an additional 1/2 to 1 full turn.  Make sure the hole in the plunger lines up with the one on the nut, check for play, and reinstall the roll pin.  It's easiest to install the roll pin if the hole is facing front to back and you have the stock standing up with the checkered part flat against a table.  Also, sometimes the nut will be on tight enough, but the plunger will bind on the stock and cause the latch to seem loose.  Make sure the stock is locked into position and it will go away.

If I may inquire, who made the stock?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#7]
It's a new style Stag/CMT stock.  (not flat like the pic at the top, but rounded like the Bushmaster/RRA)

See, that's how I was thinking I could fix it.  Guess I'll give that a shot.  Thanks.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top