Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2003 6:48:46 PM EDT
Hi everyone,

Been lurking and finally bought a RRA Lower and J&T kit and putting it together.  Thanks to everyone here for all the information I have read.  It is making my build go much easier.  One question though.  The Pivot Pin Detent has a flat end and pointed end.  Do I install the pointed end in or out?

Thanks all,
John B
PS Did a search, but limited to 30 days and did not find any info on it.
Phx, AZ
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:08:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd like to know too, the instructions on this sight for assembling a stripped lower does not specify.  It says the pivot pin detent is usually rounded on both ends.  Maybe you are looking at the selector detent, double check to make sure...

Perrito
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Pointed end should go toward the pivot pin and away from the spring.  Most that I've seen were pointed at both ends.

Another common problem is that manufacturers don't always clean the debri from the detent spring hole.  You should clean it out by hand with a drill bit.

A cheap tool to help install the spring and detent is a 1/4 inch diameter clevis pin available for about $1 from most hardware stores.  They come with about the right size hole drilled through them. Bushmaster sells a nice tool if you expect to do more.

Someone here suggested installing it with the lower inside a clear plastic bag or standing in the bathtub with the shower curtain closed.  I just do it at my desk but confess I've lost one before.

Finally, I have had some springs that were too long and would not compress far enough.  Some guys simply trim off a few turns but I've always found correct ones.  I keep a few spare springs and detents around.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:30:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks alot for the info guys, I knew I would get the answer here.  This site and all the people here are great!

John B
Phx, AZ
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top