Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/12/2013 10:11:22 AM EST
Quick question. I have a lower that I bought in around 2004 or so when I lived in NY, never assembled it. Can I legally use that lower for a pistol build now that I live in Pennsylvania? Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:33:11 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/12/2013 10:33:28 AM EST by OhShoot]
Originally Posted By RONIN45:
Quick question. I have a lower that I bought in around 2004 or so when I lived in NY, never assembled it. Can I legally use that lower for a pistol build now that I live in Pennsylvania? Thanks in advance
View Quote

As per federal law, you can make a pistol with it in any state. I don't claim to know PA firearm law.

- OS
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:41:36 AM EST
View Quote

If it never was assembled as a lower as a part of a complete rifle.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:45:08 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By delirious1:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By delirious1:

Nope. Only if first assembled as a rifle.

- OS
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:41:41 PM EST
What? You can only build a pistol from a virgin lower. If a lower is made into a rifle first, it can never be a pistol. If a lower is made into a pistol first, it can go back and forth as long as it never has a stock and a short barrel installed at the same time.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:34:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/12/2013 6:41:55 PM EST by OhShoot]
Originally Posted By Mad_Dragon:
What? You can only build a pistol from a virgin lower.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mad_Dragon:
What? You can only build a pistol from a virgin lower.

You can build a pistol from a used lower too, assuming it was first built as pistol upon first configuration.

If a lower is made into a pistol first, it can go back and forth as long as it never has a stock and a short barrel installed at the same time.

Probably just the way you worded it, but starting with a pistol config, it can still go back and forth with legal rifle even if you make an illegal SBR somewhere along that way -- that is a separate issue.

- OS
Top Top