Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2009 9:20:58 AM EDT
Has anyone tried a Pigtail Gas Tube from Brownells?  I have a 16" carbine with the short, carbine length gas tube, but I have cycling issues with mildly hot ammo.  I am intrigued by this Pigtail gas tube:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1591/Product/AR_15_M16_PIGTAIL_GAS_TUBE

Anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks.

––Sam
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:45:43 AM EDT
[#1]
What cycling issues?

You'd be better off changing buffers, IMHO.

If you're in Tucson, I'd be happy to take a look at your rifle and maybe try to troubleshoot.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:59:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Gimmick.  To actually make a change in the gas system you'd have to change the location of the gas port.  Having a slightly longer gas tube without changing anything else isn't going to make an appreciable difference.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:16:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Gimmick.  To actually make a change in the gas system you'd have to change the location of the gas port.  Having a slightly longer gas tube without changing anything else isn't going to make an appreciable difference.

+1... Best solution to pressure-related carbine problems is to sell the carbine upper and buy a midlength. Cheapest bandaid is to add a heavier buffer (e.g. 9mm) and/or an MGI adjustable gas tube. Explaining the problems you are having will help us help you.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:02:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Use a Wollf extra power spring and T2 buffer.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:59:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry for the dearth of details.  On certain ammo, IMI for example, I get a lot of blown primers and smokestack jams.  It is a CCMG built upper.  I called them and they said to use less potent ammo.  Doesn't sound right to me.  I should think that a quality upper should be able to digest virtually all reasonable ammo.

Thanks for your suggestions.

––Sam
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:05:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Hotter ammo should cyccle fine..usually theres problems when ammo is under powered, in any event we cant help you unless you state what the nature of the cycling problem is..is it short stroking,FTF,FTE what exactly is the malfunction.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:38:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I would also say that the chamber may be too tight and in need of reaming...
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:25:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Sorry for the dearth of details.  On certain ammo, IMI for example, I get a lot of blown primers and smokestack jams.  It is a CCMG built upper.  I called them and they said to use less potent ammo.  Doesn't sound right to me.  I should think that a quality upper should be able to digest virtually all reasonable ammo.

Thanks for your suggestions.

––Sam

Blown primers are not a cycling problem.  

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top