Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2005 6:32:31 AM EDT

I am currently getting ready to leave for the big o' sandbox.... I'm running on my personal setup and aimpoint ml2 and will be issued a ml once i get there.... however i find that i may need some magnification since i can have my life put at danger from a distance and i can safely with peace of mind throw some m855 down at some terrorist from a good distance away... once i know its an enemy...

Please give your advice on compact acogs, the differnet models, reticles, what you like-what you didn't... etc.

do you guys think it would be with it to get the ta11?  or does the weight and size promote the use of the smaller compact acogs?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Link Posted: 6/21/2005 6:50:10 AM EDT
[#1]
if you have a fixed carry handle you should go with a compact acog..they fits better and are more easy to use than full size acog IMHO. in the sandbox a 3x should work well.

stay safe!
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 7:12:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
if you have a fixed carry handle you should go with a compact acog..they fits better and are more easy to use than full size acog IMHO. in the sandbox a 3x should work well.

stay safe!

acually most likely i will have an m4 issued... theres a small chance that i may get the trusty o' m16a2... but i'm betting on an m4.

See I like the 2x compact acog... with the eye relief around 2.1... and the field of view is around 29"...   i think even 2x would be enough...

at this point i seem to be battling the ta11F and the TA47R-4 2x20 with M16 Base, Red Crosshair Reticle and BAC.  

Thanks for your input!
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 8:24:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 8:32:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
at this point i seem to be battling the ta11F and the TA47R-4 2x20 with M16 Base, Red Crosshair Reticle and BAC.  

If the battle is down to these two, smaller/lighter is better.

Just be sure to get a LaRue mount.
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 9:05:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I currently run a 1.5x16 red triangle on the carry handle. The Larue compact acog mounts are tough, but seem to sit a little too low for my tastes. With the low power acog, the front sight base was just way too much of a distraction and I tried two of the mounts on two different compact acogs. See if you can try a compact on a Larue compact mount before you order it. On the carry handle they are a dream to use. Light weight and with the 1.5x16 you have a 39ft FOV which is huge. I think that the 2x has a 29ft FOV.
Last year while deployed to Iraq the 4x TA31 F's were in great use by the Grunt Marines, but we as a Air unit did not use them. They were great for looking at a distance, but most of the fighting was done at close range and the 1.5 and 2x compact acogs would be great for that. By the way, I was in a hummer  hit by an IED, and the people who set if off were so close that the 1.5 or 2x would have been a great asset. We didn't kill the bastards but we did catch them.

USNCORPSMAN
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 9:51:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Why not just run an Aimpoint 3x Magnifier on a Samson quick-flip mount with your ML2?

+1
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 10:06:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I really like my mini on a carry handle.  If you go for the compact ACOG and plan to use it on a carry handle then I'd get the tumbscrew so that it is easier to install or remove if necessary.
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 1:41:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Why not just run an Aimpoint 3x Magnifier on a Samson quick-flip mount with your ML2?

+1

Perhaps to knock off the extra .5-.7 pound that would weigh over the compact ACOG?
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 7:33:40 PM EDT
[#9]
have a TA47-6 on my M4gergy carry handle. Love it. Light, quick, 2X and good eye relief. I know others here like the 2X20's as well. A popular choice.
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 9:10:09 PM EDT
[#10]
 Do the Compact ACOGS. use tritium also?
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 9:28:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
have a TA47-6 on my M4gergy carry handle. Love it. Light, quick, 2X and good eye relief. I know others here like the 2X20's as well. A popular choice.

do you think that the 2x20 would have problems with allowing the fixed front sight post to be too easily visible...  i tried out a 3x compact acog and i was seeing quite a large fuzz...  i love the 3x though...

what reticle do you have on your comp. acog?
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 9:29:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

they sure do... fiber optics and tritium...
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 4:25:28 AM EDT
[#13]
It seems that most people prefer the Chevron reticle on their ACOGs. My only acog-shooting experience was with Fight4yourrights's TA50 with an Amber triangle. It was a natural step up from the Reflexes I use, and at 3X wasn't hard to shoot with two eyes at all.

Crosshairs on a compact Acog are just too coarse for distance shooting and too small/busy for putting quickly on a torso. Again, I've never shot an ACOG with anything but a Triangle reticle, but the two X-hair compacts I've finger fucked left me asking 'What where they thinking?'.

Dave
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:23:09 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm leaning toward the TA47R-2, but I just found about the TA45s.  Any significant advantages to the low-power, wide objective?

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:46:58 AM EDT
[#15]
i chose the ta47r-2

i felt it was more than enough mag for a compact, though 1.5 was not enough since its just .5 more than my aimpoint but cost much more.

i compared all the specs and felt that the this one was best suited for my needs.

also was able to compare the specs to ta31x that i own so it was a bit easier for me to pick.

the triangle is fast and thought the crosshairs where a bit too much for a 2x scope along with mounting it on the carry handle(which was how i wanted to mount it) and the point of the triangle could still be used for more precise shooting if needed.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:45:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yes!

Tack
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:47:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

do you think that the 2x20 would have problems with allowing the fixed front sight post to be too easily visible...  i tried out a 3x compact acog and i was seeing quite a large fuzz...  i love the 3x though...

what reticle do you have on your comp. acog?

I have a 2X Compact ACOG with an Amber Triangle and love it, but many prefer the red reticle.

I have had mine on the carry handle as well as mounted in the LaRue Compact ACOG mount, which I prefer. It gives a better "CheeK Weld" in that lower position.

You can't go wrong with this scope, just try some before you buy as personal preference plays a part.

Tack
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:50:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Can the reticles wash out when shooting under cover like the Reflex?

What about when using a weapon mounted light?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:58:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Can the reticles wash out when shooting under cover like the Reflex?

What about when using a weapon mounted light?

No, they turn black like a full sized ACOG.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:32:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:37:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:46:46 AM EDT
[#22]
I've shot the Amber crosshair 3x compact quite a bit.

I've run 4 training courses through it including at Frontsight.  I've also used it while doing "contract work."

I don't know why people seem to think the crosshair is not an ideal combination.  I have drilled snap headshots in CQB - 25 meters with it and had no issues at all.  It's a brilliant setup.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:55:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:08:02 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I've shot the Amber crosshair 3x compact quite a bit.

I've run 4 training courses through it including at Frontsight.  I've also used it while doing "contract work."

A practicing attorney AND a contractor doing gun work. Quite the renaissance man!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:05:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Why do some people use Compact ACOGs instead of full sized ones on flattop rifles?  Does the lower power/smaller size make a significant speed or comfort difference, or is it simply cost?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:30:04 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Why do some people use Compact ACOGs instead of full sized ones on flattop rifles?  Does the lower power/smaller size make a significant speed or comfort difference, or is it simply cost?

cost
weight
eye relief
cost
magnification
speed
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:05:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:47:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Interesting.  I originally thought there would be a slight speed advantage with the lower power.  However, I got the impression from a few other threads that since I have a flattop, I may be better off with a full sized one.

The price difference is considerable between the two sizes and I'm debating if it's worth it.

ETA:  A few months ago I met a soldier back from the sandbox who said that he did not care for the TA31 for the same reasons that usncorpsman1 mentioned.  That was when I started leaning toward the compact.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:41:52 PM EDT
[#29]
imo there is a slight speed advantage over the full size acogs but mainly due to the magnification choice.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:40:42 AM EDT
[#30]
I have a TA40-4 on one of my FAL's.  It is a great optic.  It is very fast and precise enough for long range stuff.  I like the crosshair the most.  It allows for accurate hold-overs and wind calls.  

Its light weight is important with a full size rifle.  

I am going to get a TA11E for another FAL as soon as I can afford it.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:11:37 PM EDT
[#31]

I love my compact. It is by far my favorite.

ACOG TA50-4
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 12:00:02 AM EDT
[#32]
I thought from reading this and other threads that there would be only a moderate difference in speed between the full sized and the compact.  However, I finally got a chance to try a TA31-F and a TA44-2 side by side this weekend and I was much faster with the compact, a lot faster.  The triangle reticle combined with the BAC and low magnification was almost as fast as the EOTechs I've tried, and very natural to use.

Granted that was only one session, but the compact made much better impression.  Still, this is a big chunk of change for me and I can't help but think that I should give the TA31 another try as there must be a reason they are so popular.  Does it just take more practice?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:11:01 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I thought from reading this and other threads that there would be only a moderate difference in speed between the full sized and the compact.  However, I finally got a chance to try a TA31-F and a TA44-2 side by side this weekend and I was much faster with the compact, a lot faster.  The triangle reticle combined with the BAC and low magnification was almost as fast as the EOTechs I've tried, and very natural to use.

Granted that was only one session, but the compact made much better impression.  Still, this is a big chunk of change for me and I can't help but think that I should give the TA31 another try as there must be a reason they are so popular.  Does it just take more practice?

the ta31 is still fast but with the higher magnification compared to the compacts its slower out of the two.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:20:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Another big fan of the 2x20 amber reticle here.  My TA 47-2 is mounted in the carry handle and it is the perfect setup for me.  Lots of performance from such a small package and it is by far the smartest purchase I have made for my weapons to date...  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top