BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/10/2009 10:17:53 AM EDT
Anybody wrapped a quad rail with paracord? Any photos????
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 11:37:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Why would you do that? Just get rail covers...
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 12:16:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Para cord is cheaper and I hate rail covers, think they look cheap and they are too expensive for what you get. I sell molded plastic products so I know the margins, rail covers are high profit and I am not paying the price, I bet they cost less than a dollar to produce...I am doing my varmint rifle, just think the feel will be good, even in the rain...bonus is if I am stuck in the boonies and need some rope..hey, it's on my rail...
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 12:26:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Fuck it, fo for it and post pics.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 12:32:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Para cord is cheaper and I hate rail covers, think they look cheap and they are too expensive for what you get. I sell molded plastic products so I know the margins, rail covers are high profit and I am not paying the price, I bet they cost less than a dollar to produce...I am doing my varmint rifle, just think the feel will be good, even in the rain...bonus is if I am stuck in the boonies and need some rope..hey, it's on my rail...

USE WHAT YA WANT

Hell I live in SWFL I really dont even need covers unless I shoot lots of ammo
Plus I civi aint going to be shooting several mags at a BG
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I am off to Cabelas for 100 feet at like 7 bucks...It works for knives and axe handles right??? will post pics when done. I know this isn't  new there are posts out there just can't find them..
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 12:36:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I've seen some AKs wrapped, but not ARs.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 12:41:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I am going to the DD rail and my mags
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 12:43:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I swear I saw a pic around here somewhere of someone with their front stock wrapped in paracord. I think it might of been an aluminum free float tube on varmint type rifle but it looked good.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 12:45:11 PM EDT
[#9]
If you're going to wrap up rails why not save a lot more money and just get plastic hand guards?
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 12:55:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Para cord is cheaper and I hate rail covers, think they look cheap

yeah cause paracord looks so much classier and gives you that high dollar look.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 12:56:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because AR15s are about the high dollar look.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 1:24:22 PM EDT
[#12]
tag for pics
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 1:30:28 PM EDT
[#13]
That stuff is a mess when it melts.
Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 1:35:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah,  high dollar..far from me..I'll take function any day over looks. Nice try on the sarcasm.. Go back to your airsoft look...If you have nothing to add go back to the GD..If this is a harsh reply  and you meant no insult I apologize. I just get tired from posts that add nothing to the content and questions of the OP. I ask a legitimate question and expect legitimate answers.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 1:37:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I've seen some pics, but no idea where -
I think it's a pretty neat idea.  Bonus rope if you need it.

ETA  PHOTS http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65625
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 2:18:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've seen some pics, but no idea where -
I think it's a pretty neat idea.  Bonus rope if you need it.

ETA  PHOTS http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65625

Thanks thats exactly the photos I am looking for..I knew someone would come through....
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 2:22:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah,  high dollar..far from me..I'll take function any day over looks. Nice try on the sarcasm.. Go back to your airsoft look...If you have nothing to add go back to the GD..If this is a harsh reply  and you meant no insult I apologize. I just get tired from posts that add nothing to the content and questions of the OP. I ask a legitimate question and expect legitimate answers.

I've seen a pic once and it looked pretty cool but it was in the sandbox in a real war where para cord might be needed.
For a weekend warrior I think it would look pretty fucking stupid, right next to painting your face with camo. I know I won't be able to rapel down a cliff with them but I'll stick with my cheap looking but functional rail ladders. Is that a legitimate answer?

Tell you what, instead of getting nasty with people that take the time to give their honest opinion and unless you're on a two week survival campout, without looking in your SOF magazines, list the reasons why a person would need to wrap rope around their AR.  

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 2:26:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I have seen it before.
It doesn't look too bad.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 2:30:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen a pic once and it looked pretty cool but it was in the sandbox in a real war where para cord might be needed.
For a weekend warrior I think it would look pretty fucking stupid, right next to painting your face with camo. I know I won't be able to rapel down a cliff with them but I'll stick with my cheap looking but functional rail ladders. Is that a legitimate answer?

Tell you what, instead of getting nasty with people that take the time to give their honest opinion and unless you're on a two week survival campout, without looking in your SOF magazines, list the reasons why a person would need to wrap rope around their AR.  

Other people were getting nasty with him.  What is the big fucking deal with a guy who wants something other than rail covers?  Did you get your feelings hurt?
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 2:36:40 PM EDT
[#20]
What is the melting/flash point of Pcord?
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 2:38:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Other people were getting nasty with him.  What is the big fucking deal with a guy who wants something other than rail covers?  Did you get your feelings hurt?

No big deal and no I didn't.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 2:39:58 PM EDT
[#22]
list the reasons why a person would need to wrap rope around their AR.  

How about listing the reasons why a person shouldn't?
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 2:44:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn you proved my point, You can't give a legit answer either...I have owned Ar's since before you could probably piss standing up..I want something different, I don't like the feel of the plastic crap. Once again people like you prove you can't get a straight answer without someone thinking they know everything there is to know about everything....

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 2:56:05 PM EDT
[#24]
to many nasty answers to the op, this is why a lot of people don't like to post, for my self i just sort out the ass-hole answers.it's his rifle ,if that is what he wants,fine, don't bash him. might be some of the shit you bashers do look dumb to someone else.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 3:05:00 PM EDT
[#25]
not to keep the thread on topic, but are you putting the cord on a railed handguard?

I know most folks that do it put it on a FF tube, I'm thinking about going that route,
before I put together my recce-ish build.

Just wondering how it would look on the rails, which I haven't seen.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 3:11:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
not to keep the thread on topic, but are you putting the cord on a railed handguard?

I know most folks that do it put it on a FF tube, I'm thinking about going that route,

Zippo that was my op. I have a DD rail I want to paracord. Just the back 6' for a better grip. I don't like the plastic feel or the price. One poster said he saw "pictures" of rifle overseas with it. The reason that is done is because of the heat and sweat involved in full combat gear, which I am sure the poster has never had the chance to experience. We will know what it looks like this weekend...

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 3:26:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes 80% of AR15.com buy there AR for looks only and to play with while on the PC
hell theres guys here you tell ya  you must FF if shooting 50M ?

I see nothing wrong with para cord and your Rail

As far as the one reply??? JUST BUY Plastic HANDGUARDS ?

Its nice to run a light and FVG is a good thing

# 1 RULE KISS

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 3:29:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What is the melting/flash point of Pcord?

like it matters with a CIVI / SHTF

what BG comes  ya dump  a mag /  Double TAP

whats 20rd/30rds at the max

Ive carreid / held a CCW permit for 20+ years
shooting several mags  just aint going to happen

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 3:48:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Here's the rifle I am going to do this to. WOA upper, DD rail , Burris Fast fire at 0100, zeroed at 50 yds, Sabre lower WOA/RRA trigger. Just a nice KISS varmint rifle.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 3:50:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Good luck!

Got that right! and well said.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 3:58:03 PM EDT
[#31]
No semi auto rifle will ever get hot enough to melt para cord or any kinda nylon based rope.!
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:04:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good luck!

Got that right! and well said.

Like in a real situation in the real world

You would have to get the rail smoken hot

and if you are fireing that much ammo your in trouble
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:05:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
No semi auto rifle will ever get hot enough to melt para cord or any kinda nylon based rope.!

It will on the barrel

I have para cord on FSB

but the rail ??

ya have to fire lots to get it hot as barrel

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:21:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Zippo that was my op. I have a DD rail I want to paracord. Just the back 6' for a better grip. I don't like the plastic feel or the price. One poster said he saw "pictures" of rifle overseas with it. The reason that is done is because of the heat and sweat involved in full combat gear, which I am sure the poster has never had the chance to experience. We will know what it looks like this weekend...

Hell, I don't think there is much room for paracord on my .mil M4.  VFG, PEQ-2a and weaponlight= no room for sh*t!
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 7:16:31 PM EDT
[#35]
not to go off track but i like the vets use  of paracord to make cheap magpuls. paracord and duck tape, i'll be using that for my mags
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 8:18:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
to many nasty answers to the op, this is why a lot of people don't like to post, for my self i just sort out the ass-hole answers.it's his rifle ,if that is what he wants,fine, don't bash him. might be some of the shit you bashers do look dumb to someone else.

I too get sick of the people downing on others for simple questions and suggestions- it really is ridiculous how some on here can really be just plain snobby jerks- thats right, I called them snobby jerks
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 8:28:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn you proved my point, You can't give a legit answer either...I have owned Ar's since before you could probably piss standing up..I want something different, I don't like the feel of the plastic crap. Once again people like you prove you can't get a straight answer without someone thinking they know everything there is to know about everything....

After recovering from a 95 + degree day pouring concrete I'll be honest with you OP, awhile back I considered the same thing
when I couldn't find rail covers I liked. I pondered using Pcord pulled very tight to fill in the rail notches flush with a half hitch at the bottom and the top. I finally found some Surefire ladders that I couldn't be happier with.

caveat: As far as covering rail notches, there is nothing Pcord will do that rail covers won't do better. If you're in the boonies and need a rope, walk back to your truck and get one. Lets keep it real.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 8:55:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

your first complaint about rail covers was that "they look cheap". if you prefer function over looks then what does it matter if they look cheap, they function , and they won't fray and unravel like paracord. rail covers also snap right off in the field if you have some reason to change your rail layout. with paracord you'd have to unwrap all that, shift your gear around, then coil and stow all the cord. sounds like a bigger pain in the ass than it's worth to me. is that a big IF, yes it is but it's no bigger than your IF where you might need rope out in the field.

now i'd like to address the airsoft insult. you're the one jury rigging your weapon with rope, so you might want to be careful with the airsoft comments.

now my last issue with your response, and for some reason this in particular rubbed me the wrong way.

"I ask a legitimate question and expect legitimate answers."

what you expect means approximately squat. this is the internet and some folks are jokers, some are assholes, some are smartasses, and some are sometimes just taken the wrong way. you'll be alot better off if you lower your expectations of a public internet forum.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 10:31:18 PM EDT
[#39]
i didn't read most of this, but maybe try this? wrap the hand guards in med tape, shoot the shit out of it so it shrinks, then paint it. as far as the pcord goes, double wrap the stock. find a position on it you like, then wrap it in para cord. that way, the black plastic doesn't burn your face on the roof, and wrap the end of the pcord in tape so you can pul some of as needed and then re tape it instead of tying knots.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 12:15:53 AM EDT
[#40]
This is something I have done.

That's a YHM mid-length lightweight 4-rail.

I wasn't happy with it for long, and went with ladder style covers.

This was better, but still didn't suit me.
I am finally satisfied with a LaRue rail and Magpul XTM covers.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 3:05:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

yea...handguards wrapped in string won't ever look cheap. just ghetto.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:17:21 AM EDT
[#42]

Pic is of a care package sent to me by some members of the forum and fellow Larue fans.

Para Cord wrapping was done out of boredom.  The pistol grip wrap is an improvement when waring gloves.  The rail wrap will not melt even under heavy use.

I'm about 55/45 on it.  I don't really care if its there or not but I like the narrow smoother feel of the wrapped rail and the wider less slippery feel of the wrapped pistol grip.

Para Cord is made from Nylon the same material used in most grip panels.  If your not melting regular grip panels your not going to melt the Para Cord.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:43:04 AM EDT
[#43]
if you dont like polymer covers: ladder rail covers > paracord
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:11:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
http://i42.tinypic.com/344rrdk.jpg

Pic is of a care package sent to me by some members of the forum and fellow Larue fans.

Para Cord wrapping was done out of boredom.  The pistol grip wrap is an improvement when waring gloves.  The rail wrap will not melt even under heavy use.

I'm about 55/45 on it.  I don't really care if its there or not but I like the narrow smoother feel of the wrapped rail and the wider less slippery feel of the wrapped pistol grip.

Para Cord is made from Nylon the same material used in most grip panels.  If your not melting regular grip panels your not going to melt the Para Cord.

WOW A GI  who is there !

I agree paracord aint no problem on a rail
you would have to due several Mag dumps and by then the Gas tube is FRIED

I dont know about SOME of the Newer Members here

Its seems to be all about  BRAND VS BRAND   Bashing

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:14:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yea...handguards wrapped in string won't ever look cheap. just ghetto.

This is what I mean

Its all about FUNTION  
Not LOOKS

BTW
There are some guys here who dont give a crap how it looks

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:14:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
if you dont like polymer covers: ladder rail covers > paracord

+1 but I don't have any Ladder covers.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:18:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
i didn't read most of this, but maybe try this? wrap the hand guards in med tape, shoot the shit out of it so it shrinks, then paint it. as far as the pcord goes, double wrap the stock. find a position on it you like, then wrap it in para cord. that way, the black plastic doesn't burn your face on the roof, and wrap the end of the pcord in tape so you can pul some of as needed and then re tape it instead of tying knots.

Shooting  my VLTOR/Bushy lower with LMT M4

Here in SWFL it gets HOT

The EXTN / Buffer Tube  does get hot just sitting in the sun
1 reason I like my LMT D2000 SOPMOD it has a longer /better check weld than MY VLTOR Carbine/M4
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:04:35 AM EDT
[#48]
OP requested a detail pic of my wrap.  Here it is.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:33:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Thanks SOC...you have my e-mail, if you need more Skittles or anything, let me know...my generation it was Kool Aid and Hot Sauce..Godspeed...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:48:33 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm more into function than looks, but that looks fine to me.

SOC, is the cord touching the gas tube under the delta ring?
If it is, that would be the only place where I'd believe it could melt.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top