Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2006 3:52:11 PM EDT
The point so far is to show the painted AR, not the cool gadgets on it. I wasn't sure if I should just post it in the AR pictures sticky thread, but I thought since the paintjob was so good and it's being improved upon now, I'll just make a thread so I can throw updates on later. I was supposed to wait till' I had pictures of the updates, but I can't. I'm pretty bored and my AR is looking pretty cool.

These two pictures are early shots, when my AR was first paintd (not by me) and I just had to.. HAD TO go shooting, even though it was so new there wasn't a BUIS or vertical grip on it. Let me mention, I did pretty good for no BUIS within 50-60 yards. The paint is DuraCoat, and the color is slightly off the MultiCam pattern we tried to recreate, because we were misinformed by the company on what colors would best match MultiCam. The colors may be off, but it's one hell of a paintjob. It'll be improved and posted later.

Pre-Paintjob

Post-First Version Paintjob (MID-RELOAD):

Still First go at the Paintjob (A friend of mine):

In the pictures, it's Ameetec lower and upper with the simple cromoly barrel, Ergo grip (I like it!), Magpul M93b stock w/ Strike plate and Casv-El from MSTN on here. On it now is all that and Troy Industries BUIS and Tango Down foregrip. I'll consider it complete as I want it for a while when I get the BH Gladius flashlight for it so we can all have a rave at the range.

I intend to get an Aimpoint and Larue mount for it later, but when I first started, I started using optics. I'll take a stab at just irons for a while, then get some glass later.

Updates to come!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:56:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks great.
I sure do miss the desert.

Gene
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I like that....reminds me of WWII German Camo....

I like that better than Digi-camo
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:12:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool rifle!!!!

Now get yourself a rear sight or scope to better your POI.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:15:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I really like that rifle, and that paint job. But before you do anything else, yeah I'd get a rear sight.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:26:50 PM EDT
[#5]
sweet rifle and paint job. what kind of hand guard rail system is that? I like it
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:30:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Do not do anything else until you get a BUIS
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:36:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Does anyone read the text?

Edit: Another picture found taken before the shoot:

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:08:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Does anyone read the text?

Edit: Another picture found taken before the shoot:

i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/coyotetac/P1130002.jpg

People read the text, but can't figure out why you would paint a weapon before you would make it functional.  

Regardless, the refinishing work is nice.

ETA-  The work is good enough where I would if it would be considered a copyright issue, and I mean that as a compliment.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:12:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice paint scheme.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:18:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Very nice !!!    Some nice parts there also.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:18:22 PM EDT
[#11]
But like I said, it IS functional now, so there's no need to say that I need a BUIS, because I have one .

But I get what you're saying. And thanks for the compliments guys. I'll be sure to add pictures with brass and all soon!

GENESMITH
, I Forgot to say.. it was so cold that day, I had to wear a T-Shirt. And I'm not joking!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:46:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Dude....

I want that rifle

Name your price.

I need that rifle badly.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:20:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice paint. I have an old shotty that would look sweet like that!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#14]
That looks like Table Mesa.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:58:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Camo is great. It's especially effective on your rear sight.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:03:15 PM EDT
[#16]
That's multicam for you ;).

And you can buy my gun off of me when it's done, for twice as much as it's worth!

Also, if you seriously wanted your gun painted like this, you should wait till' it's redone, sometime next week with an ACTUAL BUIS and foregrip on it!

I just got a Troy Industries BUIS, as I've stated a few times, but I'm not sure I like it. I think I'll be heading in the direction of the LaRue BUIS soon. Although, right now, so close to the Shot Show.. money is an issue.

Quickly edited to add: Yep, Table Mesa. Great spot.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:38:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice! Glad to see another dude with a VLTOR Handguard system!

Nathan
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:02:57 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
But like I said, it IS functional now, so there's no need to say that I need a BUIS, because I have one .

But I get what you're saying. And thanks for the compliments guys. I'll be sure to add pictures with brass and all soon!

GENESMITH
, I Forgot to say.. it was so cold that day, I had to wear a T-Shirt. And I'm not joking!

When I was a kid, I spent every weekend in the Mojave desert (California). Best times of my youth were spent there. When I saw your pics I had to look and see what state you were in. One of the few things I miss about Komifornia.

Your custom painted hearing protection is pretty cool too.

Gene
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:28:46 AM EDT
[#19]

People read the text, but can't figure out why you would paint a weapon before you would make it functional.

Shit happens, and happened to me, too.   I painted my rifle weeks ago.   It's been complete, sans BUIS, for a couple of months now; I had a BUIS on order for a couple months, canceled that order to get one off the EE, only to have the person tell me it was sold; I tried to buy another, and had the same thing happen.   So I still don't have a BUIS, but I'm also not going to spend the money on something else like a Troy rear folding sight until I've finished moving into and furnishing my new apartment.

I'd say your colors are a case of "close enough" - only one of them doesn't really match.

That rifle looks quite a bit like mine.    

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:35:21 AM EDT
[#20]
beautiful
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:10:45 AM EDT
[#21]
I know it looks like yours, when I saw it I had to judge what was better. Your colors match more, but I like the design on mine, more squared off on parts where it should be and faded on parts that it needs to be. And what is yours painted with? DuraCoat? Also, let me add that they match almost perfect, just not too great taken on a cloudy day outside. But, the brown is on the way, and it'll be fucking awesome soon enough, with painted BUIS and foregrip, too!

I'm debating between Flashlight mount, more mags and a Night-Ops Gladius or a Sailrite LS-1 and churn the gear better than before. I think I'll hold the gun off for a bit after the new paintjob.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:06:21 PM EDT
[#22]
great paint job and a very nice looking rifle.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:52:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:49:55 AM EDT
[#24]
I like the pattern you used, did you overlap the colors and repeat or use a stencil?

Did you hit it with an abrasive before you painted it?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:41:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Mine is just bowflage; leaf green, OD, mud brown, marsh grass.  It isn't applied as nicely as Stuffermonkey's, but my rifles see a lot of use year round so even krylon doesn't last all that great.  I'll likely have to repaint once a year.  I was a bit sloppy with masking the EOTech and a few other places.  

It already has a few bits of wear here and there, as well as a new barrel in it (long story).  Looks pretty funny to have a parked barrel/FSB and a camo birdcage on the end.  

It's fairly green - the leaf green sometimes looks almost neon - but it actually blends in very well pretty much anywhere around here.

Luckily, besides a BUIS, I'm set for AR related stuff for quite a while.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:39:27 PM EDT
[#26]
eh my first thought was Sycamore creek... guess i need to wheel at Table Mesa more often!  that paint is wicked.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:52:57 PM EDT
[#27]
gawd multicam is hot...   did u just cut templates out of cardstock?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:54:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Studdermonkey, what duracoat colors did you use?

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:10:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Krylon wurks fur me!

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:10:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Studdermonkey, you are missing one color in your Multicam scheme: the Dark Brown

Krylon makes one which is an exact match: It is in thier "Camoflauge" line and is called Camouflage Brown 8142.

link
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:56:06 PM EDT
[#31]
AZ-K9, what krylon colors are those?   I've never found anything in the "ultra-flat" camo colors other than OD, khaki, brown, and black.     The khaki is mostly too light to use around here.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:42:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Must have been the khaki then. I only remember it being a standard Krylon camo edition color....might be the lighting of the pic....

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:55:36 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
AZ-K9, what krylon colors are those?   I've never found anything in the "ultra-flat" camo colors other than OD, khaki, brown, and black.     The khaki is mostly too light to use around here.

I believe that is the medium brown. Its like dark earth. I always find it at O'Reillys auto parts.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:37:52 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Studdermonkey, you are missing one color in your Multicam scheme: the Dark Brown

Krylon makes one which is an exact match: It is in thier "Camoflauge" line and is called Camouflage Brown 8142.

link

I know, I mentioned Chocolate Brown was gone. We were misinformed on what would work best, or what they called chocolate brown. And no krylon is going on this. I'm not going to Iraq, nor am I doing anything crazy with my gun except plinking at the range. So, it doesn't need to just work.. it needs to look awesome, and stay awesome. So, Duracoat!

AZ-K9, it's not something I would do, but damn.. that looks just downright badass.

Maybe there should be a painted gat thread! Or.. is this it?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:20:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Looks sweet to me!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top