Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2012 6:58:42 AM EDT
I'm looking at buying a Palmetto State Armory lower receiver for my new AR build. My FFL guy says they have had a bad reputation in the past for low quality. What about the new lower units? I've read good things about them and PSA talks about the new manufacturing facility. Anyone have a new PSA lower or opinions? Thanks for any help. PK
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:00:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I have four of them.  No problems whatsoever.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:23:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I own both a Palmetto State lower and a Bravo Company lower, the PSA was built by me with a Daniel Defense LPK, BCM is a complete blem I purchased. Both function exactly the same so far. Was your FFL guy recommending a different lower? Maybe one he already has in stock?
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:25:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Your ffl is full of shit.  I have 4 no problems quality is there.  Your ffl wants you buying from him and not online.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:47:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I just got my first two PSA lowers and from looking them both over I see no issues with them. The FFL that did the transfer for me (local guy who only does transfers) said PSA is one of his favorites. Their lowers work well and match up well with every upper he has put on them.

Perhaps your FFL is just biased and wants you to buy something he already has. I've seen it happen many times before at gun stores up here. One guy brought in a BCM for some work and the guy behind the desk said "BCM? Never heard of them. Bushmaster is where it's at; your rifle isn't really mil spec like these".

I'd wager he is probably looking to make a sale on something else; or he is a snob who won't accept anything other than HIS favorite brand.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 9:19:33 AM EDT
[#5]
The 5 or so I have built have been fine.  What lower is your FFL dealer pushing?
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 10:05:16 AM EDT
[#6]
i have one and i love it
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 10:39:29 AM EDT
[#7]
He didn't recommend any other, he said I should ask around. From what I have found on other forums and here the striped PSA lower sounds like a top notch unit. Just double checking with those in the know before ordering. PK
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 10:47:34 AM EDT
[#8]
A lower is a lower is a lower. If you find something to complain about on an $80 lower, maybe you should be buying some of the higher dollar lowers.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 1:14:11 PM EDT
[#9]
My PSA lower is excellent quality.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 1:37:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm also a fan of PSA, good stuff.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 2:53:22 PM EDT
[#11]
3 builds on PSAs, 4 on Essential Arms, 1 MEGA and 3 Cav Arms.  All with no hitch, 0 problems and good to go.  LPKs used were EA, Stag and RR.  Upper receivers were Spikes, DSA, Bravo Co, DPMS and EA.  Doesn't get much more mixmaster than that.  
Thaine
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 3:16:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I believe there was a company many years ago called palmetto armory. Maybe this is what he its thinking of.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I SBR'ed one and I'm building the other for the wife.  Both are $2000+ AR's.  I wouldn't have cheaped out on junk lowers if I were spending that much on the rest of the rifle.  A lower is a lower is a lower as long as it's in spec.

CMS
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 5:51:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll chime in.

Bought a PSA lower just a couple of months ago. Nice finish and mags drop free. It had a REALLY tight fit to the Rainier Arms upper I bought for this lightweight build. Took a dremel to the inside of the rear takedown lug (on the upper) and the takedown pin closes fine now. This could have been from the upper or the lower, I'm not sure (leaning toward the upper).

I will say that the trigger that comes with the PSA lower parts kit has quite a bit of grit to it. I'm hoping this will smooth out as I shoot more.

-Mark
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:07:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Every lower is pretty much the same, order whatever one has the best picture on the side.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:10:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought a PSA MOE pistol kit a few weeks ago.  Shipping was a few days longer than I'm used to but I read somewhere PSA ships a little slower than some dealers.  The lower parts came in several individual zip lock baggies and nicely oiled.  It seemed the parts were split up so the end user can visualize which part goes where.  All of the parts had a nice deep rich color.  The parts went in nicely.

I bought an AR pistol kit from another dealer years ago and it never quite worked right.  This was my second attempt building an AR pistol.  I made my own barrel with a Green Mountain 1x7 blank and used a PTR 556 chamber reamer.  I fired yesterday at the range and the gun ran great.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:30:03 AM EDT
[#17]
3 spikes, 2 Surplus Arms, 1 Aero and 1 Psa. No complaints out of any of them. They all run the same, great!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top