BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2017 4:09:18 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 5:40:45 PM EDT
[#1]
From what a few of us have been able to piece together, the new PSA bolts hang lower up near the bolt face and will hit Colt feed ramps.  The old PSA bolts will clear.  So, if you replace your current bolt with a PSA one, chances are you'll have the same problem.

I don't have any answers as to why your bolt would hit the PSA feed ramp, unless the ramps were built up higher than standard and the old PSA bolts had extra clearance for them?
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 6:22:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I specifically bought the spinta bolt after reading about these issues.

http://www.spintaprecision.com/9mm-angle-cut-nitride-bolt-carrier-group-blem-2-black-friday/

No issues. I have the 4 inch upper and billet 9mm lower from PSA.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 7:12:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I recently purchased a dedicated Colt pattern receiver set by Gun Point which has a Faxon Gen 2 bolt sitting in it. Absolutely no fitment or cycling issues on my end. Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 11:10:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I had something similar when I built mine using a CMMG bolt. It was caused by the charging handle. Basically one charging handle I had was angle cut on the underside at the nose. Drop it in a 5.56 and it cycled no problem, but jammed in my 9mm. I grabbed an older charging handle that was radiused rounded in that area and it solved all my problems. I know you said you tried different charging handles, but you might want to check how they are milled at the nose.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 12:15:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 12:20:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 12:35:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unfortunately I'm not sure with regards to the height of the feed ramp.  I know with the upper off of the lower, I can set the bolt in place in the spot/area where it would normally ride, and the cut outs in the underside of the bolt correspond with the ears on the feed ramp.  Just eyeballing things, it all looks okay and in alignment, and I can push the bolt by hand backwards against the buffer as if the rifle were cycling, and everything moves freely (obviously).  The bolt catch comes up and attempts to lock the bolt back even.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unfortunately I'm not sure with regards to the height of the feed ramp.  I know with the upper off of the lower, I can set the bolt in place in the spot/area where it would normally ride, and the cut outs in the underside of the bolt correspond with the ears on the feed ramp.  Just eyeballing things, it all looks okay and in alignment, and I can push the bolt by hand backwards against the buffer as if the rifle were cycling, and everything moves freely (obviously).  The bolt catch comes up and attempts to lock the bolt back even.
My PSA bolt was the same, functioning properly by hand  without the upper.  But, that 1/32" or whatever of overlap with the feed ramp is just enough to gum things up once fully assembled.  I couldn't close it enough to insert the front pivot pin.

I believe the underside cutouts you're referring to are for clearing the magazine lips, not the feed ramp's side guides.

I wasn't aware of a new/old PSA bolt, but based off snake's post above and being it was on a Black Friday sale anyways, I picked up a Sprinta bolt to try.  Will report more as soon as I get it in my hands.
I've been very pleased with my Spinta bolt so far.  The BF sale is only for the angle cut version -- not sure why I don't like it; should perform exactly the same -- but I almost picked up one just as a spare at that price.  Hopefully, it solves your problem.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:51:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the same set up, psa colt lower and the faxon 2 gen bolt, and had the same problem

Mine was rubbing on outside top corners of the feed ramp
The bottom of feed ramp
And the top of the bolt catch
I used a Swiss cut needle file and slowly removed metal in those areas until the bolt moved freely
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 7:39:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 8:09:40 PM EDT
[#10]
faxon is part of the industry forum, post over there and they can help
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top