Do  I  need  to start  a poll  ??
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 9:33:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 9:43:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Hahn
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 9:44:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd say VM-Hytech for swap & go, plug & play, mag availability (Uzi).

But not if you want a last round BHO, or if you wanna rock 32s.

Whoever invents the Hytech-style block that readily accepts flat backs and 32s, AND incorporates a last round BHO (perhaps w/ a follower swap) will be a rich man...

Maybe I should... when does their patent expire???
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 10:50:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So where's  the thread  that  answers  this  question  

Have you tried the 6+ year old FAQ?

Quoted:
Is  there a  consensus  ?

There isn't even a consensus on which brand 9mm AR mags are "the best".

Quoted:
Do  I  need  to start  a poll  ??

Are you asking or threatening?  Either way I say yes, start a poll.
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 12:22:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually the best Block is the one that works in "your" rifle.
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 12:40:30 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 Add a poll.
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Hahn dedicated and like it very much.  

CProducts is (has?) come out with a block that is supposed to work with damn near everything...  Don't know as I haven't really read anything except what CProducts has said about it.  Don't know if it's even available yet.
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 1:31:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have a Hahn dedicated and like it very much.  

CProducts is (has?) come out with a block that is supposed to work with damn near everything...  Don't know as I haven't really read anything except what CProducts has said about it.  Don't know if it's even available yet.

last i heard they are starting to ship this week.
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 2:27:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'd say VM-Hytech for swap & go, plug & play, mag availability (Uzi).

But not if you want a last round BHO, or if you wanna rock 32s.

If I'm reading correctly, in the Hy-Tech sticky, the newest version of the block accepts 32's just fine.

Link Posted: 10/7/2008 4:02:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you tried the 6+ year old FAQ?

YEP !!!

went  through  search  too,  not  any  extensive  archive search though
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 4:03:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is  there a  consensus  ?

There isn't even a consensus on which brand 9mm AR mags are "the best".

Link Posted: 10/7/2008 4:03:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
+1 Add a poll.

OK,  here  comes  the poll  ................................

Link Posted: 10/7/2008 7:50:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 8:42:51 PM EDT
[#14]
CProducts' new block, because it comes with 5 32-rd mags for $179.   I haven't bought it yet, but the testers seem to have liked it, and it is guaranteed to work by CProducts.

You can order one by calling them, but they aren't on the website yet.  I'm waiting until 44mag.com gets it in stock, so I can pick up other magazines and stuff I need as well in the same order.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
CProducts' new block, because it comes with 5 32-rd mags for $179.   I haven't bought it yet, but the testers seem to have liked it, and it is guaranteed to work by CProducts.

You can order one by calling them, but they aren't on the website yet.  I'm waiting until 44mag.com gets it in stock, so I can pick up other magazines and stuff I need as well in the same order.

I can't wait!    My .22 AR is great but man do i want to shoot my 9mm AR more.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 6:14:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Is there a big difference in the hahn dedicated and the regular hahn block? I want to use the pro mag mags, dont like the colt or uzi mags too much.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 8:34:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Is there a big difference in the hahn dedicated and the regular hahn block? I want to use the pro mag mags, dont like the colt or uzi mags too much.

The dedicated is installed by way of taking out your AR's bolt catch, inserting the block, and reinstalling the catch.  The 2 other Hahn blocks are top load, and bottom load.

Check here to see exactly what the differences are.  I know at least one doesn't have the bolt hold open feature.

www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop%2Fmanufacturer&manufacturer=47

Link Posted: 10/8/2008 8:51:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice!!!!!! thanks for the info!!
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 4:49:30 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Colt 1pc and the RRA, one in the same. Best on the market IMO.

+1 and I own all of the blocks in the survey. I am very interested in seeing how the new Cproducts block performs.
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 7:55:27 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 and I own all of the blocks in the survey. I am very interested in seeing how the new Cproducts block performs.

anyone  have a pic  or a link to  a  pic  of  the  Colt  ,  RRA style block  ?

how does  it  differ  from  the   Hahn   ??

Link Posted: 10/10/2008 8:12:14 AM EDT
[#21]
I love my Hahn dedicated. Works flawlessly with my COLT mags and the COLT Beta mag.
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 8:15:58 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I love my Hahn dedicated. Works flawlessly with my C-products mags

+1  
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 12:07:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

RRA block:

Hahn block:

Link Posted: 10/10/2008 12:12:16 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

RRA block:
www.rainierarms.com/img/shop/product/c178217307207bf479ddb1faf024d233.jpg
Hahn block:
www.rainierarms.com/img/shop/product/926810acf90c960fc05b157c86259fdd.jpg

THANKS!!
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#25]
bump  for  weekend feedback
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 2:34:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Crossfire - Hard to find, but well worth the effort!

Larry
Link Posted: 11/2/2008 12:32:58 PM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 11/2/2008 12:59:19 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a hahn dedicated block and it works extremely well. All I use are CProducts 32 round mags and I haven't had any problems.
Link Posted: 11/2/2008 1:52:14 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd bet that at least half the people that voted don't even own 9mm AR's and are just posers..... just more internet rhetoric....

I have owned a RRA 9mm for years and it has always worked flawlessly with Colt and modified Uzi mags.... I don't really care if the bolt holds open on the last round.....My MP5 clones don't nor does my HK 91....if you shoot a lot you get to know the sounds that your weapon makes...and you can surely tell when your out of ammo...... and I don't really care about another style mag just because it's a few bucks cheaper.... remember you get what you pay for.............
Link Posted: 11/2/2008 2:17:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:...if you shoot a lot you get to know the sounds that your weapon makes...and you can surely tell when your out of ammo...

I'm not disputing what you say, but how does it make a different sound when the last round is fired if you have no BHO feature?  My AK (only semi-auto weapon with no BHO I own) doesn't sound any different on round 30 than on any of the rest.  I hear the "click" obviously, instead of a "bang" on the non-existent 31st round.  Other than that click, how does a 9mm AR with no BHO sound like it is out of ammo?

Link Posted: 11/2/2008 4:17:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:...if you shoot a lot you get to know the sounds that your weapon makes...and you can surely tell when your out of ammo...

I'm not disputing what you say, but how does it make a different sound when the last round is fired if you have no BHO feature?  My AK (only semi-auto weapon with no BHO I own) doesn't sound any different on round 30 than on any of the rest.  I hear the "click" obviously, instead of a "bang" on the non-existent 31st round.  Other than that click, how does a 9mm AR with no BHO sound like it is out of ammo?

sorry I can't explain it....but it's sort of a hollow sound....

Link Posted: 11/8/2008 3:22:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Hahn dedicated.

+1

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:05:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

sorry I can't explain it....but it's sort of a hollow sound....

I am currently shopping for a mag block and this seems like and important feature, and I just want to make sure I am not missing anything.  If you get a block without last round BHO feature, you most likely won't know you just fired your last round and drop the hammer on an empty chamber, then you will change mags and use the charging handle to reset everything.  In my mind that really sucks!!  The stupid design and location of the charging handle on an AR makes it inconvenient to manually cycle every new mag.  But If you get the BHO feature you just hit the bolt release and you GTG.

Right??

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 12:33:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I am currently shopping for a mag block and this seems like and important feature, and I just want to make sure I am not missing anything.  If you get a block without last round BHO feature, you most likely won't know you just fired your last round and drop the hammer on an empty chamber, then you will change mags and use the charging handle to reset everything.  In my mind that really sucks!!  The stupid design and location of the charging handle on an AR makes it inconvenient to manually cycle every new mag.  But If you get the BHO feature you just hit the bolt release and you GTG.

Right??

The block itself doesn't determine LRBHO capability.

LRBHO can be had with pretty much any Colt style block that uses Colt style mags - do not worry about how the block is MARKETED by the mfr. or whether they SAY it has LRBHO or not.

If the block you are buying has a built in actuator, LRBHO is typically achieved by using a std bolt catch.  A good example of this kind of block is the Hahn DEDICATED top loader.

If the block you are buying does NOT have a built in actuator (like the Colt 2 piece block pictured below, or a Hahn std top loader, or other older blocks out there), LRBHO can only be achieved by using a $9 RRA long finger 9mm bolt catch (also as pictured below).

If you want LRBHO and caliber quick change capability, then your only option is a bottom load block with a built in actuator.

There is no LRBHO option with Uzi mags, unless you want to have each mag follower specially modded - see M60Joe website for more details.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:35:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right??

The block itself doesn't determine LRBHO capability.

LRBHO can be had with pretty much any Colt style block that uses Colt style mags - do not worry about how the block is MARKETED by the mfr. or whether they SAY it has LRBHO or not.

If the block you are buying has a built in actuator, LRBHO is typically achieved by using a std bolt catch.  A good example of this kind of block is the Hahn DEDICATED top loader.

If the block you are buying does NOT have a built in actuator (like the Colt 2 piece block pictured below, or a Hahn std top loader, or other older blocks out there), LRBHO can only be achieved by using a $9 RRA long finger 9mm bolt catch (also as pictured below).

http://users.zoominternet.net/~picplace/Picthumb/2pcsmbbho.JPG

If you want LRBHO and caliber quick change capability, then your only option is a bottom load block with a built in actuator.

There is no LRBHO option with Uzi mags, unless you want to have each mag follower specially modded - see M60Joe website for more details.

Thanks Kevin, that helps alot.

One question though, Im confused with this actuator business.  Which part is that and what does it do?  
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:48:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
One question though, Im confused with this actuator business.  Which part is that and what does it do?  

It is a piece of metal at the back of the mag block that the follower pushes up when the magazine is empty.  The actuator, in turn, pushes up the bolt catch and holds the bolt back on the last shot (when the mag is empty).  

In a 5.56/.223 AR15, there is no need for an actuator, as the follower itself pushes up the bolt catch when the mag is empty.  With 9mm, the magazine is too far forward to use the normal 5.56 AR bolt catch unless an actuator is used as a go-between for the follower and the bolt catch.  That's why the pic Kevin posted above shows the long-finger "9mm" bolt catch sticking into the mag well so far.  It hits the follower directly, so no actuator is needed in that case.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:42:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a piece of metal at the back of the mag block that the follower pushes up when the magazine is empty.  The actuator, in turn, pushes up the bolt catch and holds the bolt back on the last shot (when the mag is empty).  

In a 5.56/.223 AR15, there is no need for an actuator, as the follower itself pushes up the bolt catch when the mag is empty.  With 9mm, the magazine is too far forward to use the normal 5.56 AR bolt catch unless an actuator is used as a go-between for the follower and the bolt catch.  That's why the pic Kevin posted above shows the long-finger "9mm" bolt catch sticking into the mag well so far.  It hits the follower directly, so no actuator is needed in that case.

Thanks for the info!!  that cleared my questions up.  

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:21:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the info!!  that cleared my questions up.  

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top