Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2008 7:57:22 AM EDT
The PMags I've bought so far have the transparent windows in the side, to show the number of rounds remaining.  Nice feature at the range, but I've started to wonder if sunlight flashing off the exposed brass might be undesirable in a SHTF situation.

How many of you PMag users out there buy the windowed vs. non-windowed versions?

Link Posted: 6/26/2008 8:14:58 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
The PMags I've bought so far have the transparent windows in the side, to show the number of rounds remaining.  Nice feature at the range, but I've started to wonder if sunlight flashing off the exposed brass might be undesirable in a SHTF situation.

How many of you PMag users out there buy the windowed vs. non-windowed versions?

Seriously?
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 10:45:50 AM EDT
[#2]
This could be a serious issue in my opinion. Along with gold caps on your teeth. Do you have gold caps on your teeth?
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 10:58:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Is a magnifying glass involved?
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 11:02:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Have a flashlight or optic without a killflash? Wear a watch?  Wedding band? MUCH less of a worry.
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 11:19:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I think you need to remove at least 87 layers of tinfoil.
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 1:00:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I get windowless myself because I don't have the desire to look in the side of my mags. The window is not large enough to be an issue of anti-camo. The brass won't flash light reflections, I expect the window won't either, Magpul thinks of things like that.  

If you are concerned about what will attract the eye and what will not research german camo helmets of WW-1.  Up close you would think it would be the opposite of camo.  I guess it really worked, although i wasn't there myself.
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#7]

If you like them there are fine, never saw the utility in them for my use. I don't use the witness holes in my subgun mags except when loading them. At $2.00 -$3.00  price differece it's just more mags for the same money to me.
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 8:31:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got a few and it's a neat feature, but most of mine are plain; if I'm busy I reload at the click. If I'm not busy, I reload when the gun starts to feel empty. Much easier than looking for a little red mark on a spring.
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 9:17:43 PM EDT
[#9]
  I haven't tried the "windowed" Pmags yet.

My rounds are pretty, nice and shiny, but I don't feel the need to be checking on them when they're in the magazines.
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 9:25:49 PM EDT
[#10]
i am happy with the non window mags.
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 9:41:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I have both.  Knowing what I do now after training with them, I wouldn't have bothered with getting the windows.  On the range, I don't bother ever looking down to check my round count and during the stress of a real gunfight, suspect I never will either.

Windowless is the way to go for me for all future mags.
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 10:11:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I've started to wonder if sunlight flashing off the exposed brass might be undesirable in a SHTF situation.

I really wouldnt spend too much time worrying about that.

Link Posted: 6/27/2008 7:08:49 AM EDT
[#13]
It all comes down to personal preference.  There is no tactical advantage of having one over the other.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 6:01:50 PM EDT
[#14]
no window.  save your money.
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Mitt out dem Vindow.  I can't count anyway.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 6:32:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I buy the windowed version but I paint all of my SHTF ammo with camo krylon
Link Posted: 6/28/2008 9:35:34 AM EDT
[#17]
I buy the plain version, as the 22nd round (I think) is the last round in the mag that it shows. That's only one set of targets for me most likely. For my training purposes I like to know when its in the teens.

If its not training purposes and I have a lull in the fight I will be tacloading anyways to make sure I have a full mag until I know there aren't any additional targets.
Link Posted: 6/28/2008 10:00:47 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I buy the plain version, as the 22nd round (I think) is the last round in the mag that it shows.

That would be why there is an orange painted coil on the magazine spring that marks the remander of the ammunition not visible in the window or covered by the magwell.
Link Posted: 6/28/2008 12:40:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 8:09:07 AM EDT
[#20]
+1 for saving your money, by the non-window version. It is like getting a free PMag every time you buy 3 non-window versions....

(You'll save money and it will keep you from having to start threads where folks are gonna flame you for thinking a bit farther out there than they do.....)

Seriously, how often in practice (or battle) are you gonna need to look down and see "how many rounds are left".....

Personally, my process is shoot until I hear a click when I'm expecting a "bang", I summarily drop the mag, then insert a fresh (read "heavy") mag into the well, then release the bolt, good to go again..... Here's the cool part: ALL the mags on the ground are empty, the mags in my pouch/on my belt are fully charged....pretty simple "round indicator" system and it costs you nothing extra!
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 10:34:32 AM EDT
[#21]
height=8
Quoted:
Seriously, how often in practice (or battle) are you gonna need to look down and see "how many rounds are left".....

Practice counting down from 30.  http://www.tk560.com/studioprops/studioprops-Images/29.jpg
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 10:47:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Practice counting down from 30.  
www.tk560.com/studioprops/studioprops-Images/29.jpg

What'd you do to your Tommy Gun
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#23]

I use both windowed and non-windowed PMAG versions, I've got more windowed mags about 3 to 1 ratio.

I prefer to use windowed PMAGs and non-windowed for spares.
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 2:35:07 PM EDT
[#24]
I bought both to try.

I'll buy non-window ones in the future.

More for the $.
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 6:51:03 PM EDT
[#25]
IMO, the window verson are a waste of money.
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 9:42:06 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
It all comes down to personal preference.  There is no tactical advantage of having one over the other.  

I disagree there is an advantage to knowing with a quick glance how many rounds you have left in your mag. I use windowed mags for serious use. My non windowed mags are just range mags that I got before the windowed mags came out.
Pat
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 10:19:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I'm sorry but
Link Posted: 6/30/2008 7:52:18 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm a little embarrassed by a few of the responses to a valid question from a fairly new member.  Let's try to offer our experiences instead of ridicule.

I also had a concern about the window, though not for the same reason.  I wondered if the window would be as durable as the rest of the mag in the long term.  It's obviously not made from the same material.  I wondered if it would crack or pop out under stress allowing the inside of the mag more exposed to the elements.

Like the OP's question, it's highly unlikely.  But a valid question none-the-less.

I ended up buying a couple of the windowed mags for the novelty of it.  The rest are no-windowed.

Link Posted: 6/30/2008 10:59:41 AM EDT
[#29]
All my PMAGs are non-window.

But I've decided all my future PMAG's will be in OD green.
Link Posted: 6/30/2008 11:04:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/30/2008 11:45:18 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
All my PMAGs are non-window.

But I've decided all my future PMAG's will be in OD green.

Why OD?

I like them.

And I'm in appalachian southeast ohio. There's not a desert anywhere around here.

In other words, a lot of it is for the same reason some of you guys in Nevada really like FDE pmags.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:22:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Just load your PMags with the flat gray polymer coated Wolf or the old green lacquered version.  Voila, instant ammo cammo!  
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top