Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2004 8:54:35 PM EDT
Im getting my Beta-Mag for my AR-15 and my SW-5 in soon. How many rounds max should I shoot/load through/on the C-Mag on the AR-15 without overheating, cooking off, or losing accuracy because of overheating? How long should I wait after firing this string. I will be shooting 1 shot a second. I have a 11.5 w/ 5" hider perm. attached and another 20".

How many rounds can I shoot/load through my SW-5 without it overheating or cooking off? How long should it cool off? I will be shooting two shots a second and one shot a second. Please give me an estimate for each.

How can I tell when I need to stop shooting other than when the gun is smoking? Should I stop before I get to that point. Isn't that just oil burning off?

Thanks,
HK_Shooter
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:59:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd pay attention to the heat from the hand guards...when you start to notice it more so than normal, let'er chill till to room temp.....that's how I'd do it personally, but I may be wrong or just too babyish on my rifles
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:26:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Just figure on having a beater barrel/ upper, then you won't have to worry about it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:43:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Before I swaped out my "post ban" barrel, I put 120 rounds through it as fast as possible. The barrel was so hot that I still could not hold on to it  a half hour later, it didn't seem to be damaged or anything. Someone had a post on here about testing M4 barrels to destuction, I think they basicly got to 400 rounds then burst. The barrel warped and droped an inch at the muzzle before bursting, I think the guy said the hand guard was like 1200 degrees f. or some crazy thing!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:08:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a bushy Chrome lined, not sure how many rounds you can actually run through it without cooking off.... and would hate to find out first hand. but according to the Oly manual ... "firing 140 rounds , rapidly and continuously, will raise the temperatur of the barrel to COOKOFF POINT"

www.ar15.com/content/manuals/manual_olyarms_ar.pdf

Its in the first few paragraphs. Not sure if ... "Rapidly and continously" refers to bumping or just yanking the trigger real fast. I'd wait a few minutes before running a second beta through it IMO.

I read the article too about the testing of the barrels to destruction point. Not sure where i read it at. I think they should have added "don't try this at home boys and girls"
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:39:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Just keep a bottle of ROOM temp water next to your shooting bench; after dumping your c mag, poor it over your barrel.... it will sufficiently cool down the barrel where you can continue. If it creates a lot of steam, I would wait a couple of minutes before continuing though.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:18:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Im getting my Beta-Mag for my AR-15 and my SW-5 in soon. How many rounds max should I shoot/load through/on the C-Mag on the AR-15 without overheating, cooking off, or losing accuracy because of overheating?

Cook off can occur in as little as 180rds with the 14.5" M4 barrel under full-auto fire. The 11.5" number will be less than that because it has less mass and will heat up quicker (assuming the same diameter).

The maximum sustained rate of fire for the AR (the rate you can continue to fire your AR for an indefinite period of time) is 12-15rpm.

The hotter you get your AR, the more you will contribute to throat erosion and loss of accuracy over time; but you can still be plenty rough with a chrome-lined AR barrel and not see serious throat erosion for some time.

In testing to destruction, both the 14.5" barrel and 20" barrel were able to go past 400 rounds. Handguard temperatures hit the 300F mark and barrel temperatures hit the 1500-1700F mark at time of bursting, so you will probably let go of the rifle long before you shoot a barrel to destruction.

How can I tell when I need to stop shooting other than when the gun is smoking? Should I stop before I get to that point. Isn't that just oil burning off?

White smoke is the CLP cooking off and is no big deal. Even semi-auto shooters see that... black smoke from the handguards area is the glue that holds the heat shields catching fire. You should probably stop if you see that happen.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:25:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Обезьяны всех стран, соединитесь!

I ran your sig through Babelfish and I get this: The monkeys of all countries, you will be connected!

OK now what's it really supposed to mean?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:47:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Обезьяны всех стран, соединитесь!

I ran your sig through Babelfish and I get this: The monkeys of all countries, you will be connected!

OK now what's it really supposed to mean?

It says "Monkeys of the world, unite!" (actual literal translation would be closer to "Monkeys of all countries, incorporate!" but I couldn't find soedinyaites' in Cyrillic to paste it in. It is an inside joke involving a play on the old Soviet slogan "Proletarians of the world, unite!". I could explain the joke; but it really isn't all that funny. People who know the joke will immediately know who is on the other end of the line. People who don't will just think I'm strange
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:55:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

In testing to destruction, both the 14.5" barrel and 20" barrel were able to go past 400 rounds. Handguard temperatures hit the 300F mark and barrel temperatures hit the 1500-1700F mark at time of bursting, so you will probably let go of the rifle long before you shoot a barrel to destruction.

Pretty sure the rounds were fired non stop as well, full auto.

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:58:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Just keep a bottle of ROOM temp water next to your shooting bench; after dumping your c mag, poor it over your barrel.... it will sufficiently cool down the barrel where you can continue. If it creates a lot of steam, I would wait a couple of minutes before continuing though.

Doesn't quenching the barrel change the steel?

Like I said earlier, get a beater barrel and don't worry about it.  You can't expect to blast a Beta mag and then do precision work with the same barrel.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:29:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

WOW!  that sounds like a REALLY bad idea.  have you ever had a weapon survive this?  i have no experience pouring water on my smoking gun, but having warped a few brake rotors, i can speak of the catastophic results a rapid temp change can have on steel.  joke, right?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:13:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WOW!  that sounds like a REALLY bad idea.  have you ever had a weapon survive this?  i have no experience pouring water on my smoking gun, but having warped a few brake rotors, i can speak of the catastophic results a rapid temp change can have on steel.  joke, right?

He probably wasn't joking.  There was a very heated thread some months ago arguing that very topic.  I think it is a very bad idea myself.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:26:11 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He probably wasn't joking.  There was a very heated thread some months ago arguing that very topic.  I think it is a very bad idea myself.

+1
You would not want to do that as it will change the heat treatment of the barrel.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top