Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2006 3:29:08 PM EDT
I saw a Otis Delux Cleaning kit today in a local gun shop.  Do these kits have everything to clean an ar or would I have to seperately purchase the chamber brushes etc...  I didn't have much time to look at it, but didn't look like it had chamber brushes with it.  Looked like a good kit to clean all of my guns instead of having a kit for every caliber.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:10:13 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I saw a Otis Delux Cleaning kit today in a local gun shop.  Do these kits have everything to clean an ar or would I have to seperately purchase the chamber brushes etc...  I didn't have much time to look at it, but didn't look like it had chamber brushes with it.  Looked like a good kit to clean all of my guns instead of having a kit for every caliber.  

Better served with this one => CLICK HERE

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 6:30:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 7:18:48 PM EDT
[#4]
LOVE my Otis!!
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:02:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I've checked out the links with the cleaning kits, but there are so many.  If not the otis what would be a good delux type kit to buy.  I think the one I saw was for hunting rifles, I think it was the otis elite kit.  I have just a basic ar15 cleaning kit in a green pouch that I bought from cheaper than dirt when I 1st got my ar15.  I want something a little better than that kit.  I do like the idea of standard cleaning rods, but never tried the otis system so I don't know.  I have a drawer full of cleaning kits for this gun and that one.  I would like to get rid of all of those and have one nice kit for my rifle and pistols, but the big thing is for it to have the right equipment for my ar15's.  If I have to buy a seperate kit for my hand guns I guess that would be ok.  Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:12:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
We see a lot of guys here having problems with the OTIS kit. Mainly patches getting stuck in the bore, and if I remember correctly one guy had the swaged cable fitting pull loose in the barrel.

I’m kinda old school, I like to stick to a conventional rod and jag. The OTIS might make a good field kit, and I believe the military uses them, but don’t quote me on that.  

OTIS has swamped supply sergeants with a campaign second only to that of Blackhawk (you should just see there slick full-color glossy brochures.  Cool, until you realzie that your tax dollars have indirectly paid for that stuff) As such, shitloads have been bought with unit funds.  Most folks try them once or twice, then bitch at supply to get them the real cleaning rods and jags.  

I just noticed your avatar - you out there on Butts?
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 2:24:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:09:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I like my OTIS kit. I have a rod, but don't use it. However, I use regular patches in cleaning, not the special OTIS ones.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:52:46 AM EDT
[#9]
How about tipton, do they make a kit for the ar15 with a carbon fiber rod, are they worth the money or not.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:14:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
How about tipton, do they make a kit for the ar15 with a carbon fiber rod, are they worth the money or not.

JDT, you know, if you have a chrome-lined barrel, a USGI kit is < $9 at Brownells if you have  C & R license.  Get some CLP and patches and you're good to go.  

The chrome-lining on your barrel is harder than what the USGI rod and brushes are made of.

I have the OTIS kit, and it's okay, it does work, and I have had stuff come off in the barrel and so forth.  It's nice to have and nice for cleaning the M14 in a hurry, because you can pull-through patches with the bolt in place and not worry about tagging your fingers while you attach a patch.  It is a clever design.  I don't think it's $30 cleverer than the USGI kit.

I have heard the Tipton rod is nice but the handle unscrews sometimes.

My other rod is a Dewey.

Listen to all those guy in the thread; the OTIS works and I think (my opinion) the grip-kit might be nice to have if you've got an M4 or something that has no buttstock storage; it gives you an option stored on the weapon itself.  If you are not shooting a match barrel, you really do not need a high-dollar, sexy, cleaning rod.

Edit:  I re-read your posts about having one kit that does everything. The Otis probably would do that; when I am shooting a bolt-action rifle it is just a little easier for me to have a standard cleaning rod on hand.  I have a solid, fixed, rather heavy 6" or 8" cleaning rod I use for handguns (I got it long enough to clean the Mauser broomhandle barrel through the receiver), the aforementioned Dewey, and the Otis kit.  A variety of brushes, loops and jags that fit the Dewey (w/adapter) and pistol rod (kleenbore? pro-shot?) serve me pretty well.  In conclusion the Otis kit will do what you want it to do but in my opinion you will still want a couple of rifle rods (.22, .30) and a pistol rod for ease of use.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 11:41:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the help,  I think I meant dewey instead of tipton, but anyways I will check out the otis kit more closely the next time I go to the gun shop.  For now based upon what you guys are saying I will just stick with the several kits I have.  Here is what I have nowwww.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR041-3322-2702.html  Main reason I bought it was for the chamber brush, which doesnt even thread on the rod correctly.  The rod doesn't allow the brush to twist with the barrel either so it seems hard to clean.  Anyway as of now I only use the kit to clean the chamber.  Again thanks for the help I will continue to check out several kits and see what I come up with.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:22:56 AM EDT
[#12]
I Have a Otis patch stuck in my barrel right now...I drove a cleaning rod through the barrel, and that only took out the patch puller and a PIECE of the patch..now i have a cleaning rod and a patch stuck in the barrel....on one end of the rod i have a handle and the end sticking out of the barrel is now flattened out from a pair of pliers...i cannot move the rod either way..it its still stuck...even if i could move the rod, it can't come out due to the handle on one end and the flat piece on the other. Before i go to a gunsmith, does anybody out there have any suggestions?
thanks
fred
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:10:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I guess without knowing what your cleaning rod is made of, I'd put the barrel nose
down and dump some oil inside and let sit overnight.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:14:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I Have a Otis patch stuck in my barrel right now...I drove a cleaning rod through the barrel, and that only took out the patch puller and a PIECE of the patch..now i have a cleaning rod and a patch stuck in the barrel....on one end of the rod i have a handle and the end sticking out of the barrel is now flattened out from a pair of pliers...i cannot move the rod either way..it its still stuck...even if i could move the rod, it can't come out due to the handle on one end and the flat piece on the other. Before i go to a gunsmith, does anybody out there have any suggestions?
thanks
fred

This is hard for me to picture, but can't you just pound the thing into a solid floor?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:29:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Over marketed and over Hyped....
Totally Agree With Bohr A's assessment, they jumped on the Military bandwagon hard and everyone things there the greatest thing such sliced bread.

Good luck getting out a stuck casing or worse, A bullet lodged in the barrel. and as far as being able to clean the chamber "effectively".. good luck.

There great for cleaning the bore... to bad the bore is the least critical part of a AR to keep it reliably running...
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:47:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks, guys....guess i'll start the oil down the barrel tonight....

fred

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:01:56 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Over marketed and over Hyped....
Totally Agree With Bohr A's assessment, they jumped on the Military bandwagon hard and everyone things there the greatest thing such sliced bread.

Good luck getting out a stuck casing or worse, A bullet lodged in the barrel. and as far as being able to clean the chamber "effectively".. good luck.

There great for cleaning the bore... to bad the bore is the least critical part of a AR to keep it reliably running...

NEVER MIND A STUCK BULLET, TRY GETTING A STUCK PATCH OUT OF THE BORE.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:50:08 PM EDT
[#18]
height=8
NEVER MIND A STUCK BULLET, TRY GETTING A STUCK PATCH OUT OF THE BORE.

that's what i have been saying, Gregory....it's a bummer....almost like you got a bullet lodged in there....or a piece of steel...my rod is stuck in there also.....

fred

did you get yours out yet? how????????????
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:38:07 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
We see a lot of guys here having problems with the OTIS kit. Mainly patches getting stuck in the bore, and if I remember correctly one guy had the swaged cable fitting pull loose in the barrel.

I’m kinda old school, I like to stick to a conventional rod and jag. The OTIS might make a good field kit, and I believe the military uses them, but don’t quote me on that.  

OTIS has swamped supply sergeants with a campaign second only to that of Blackhawk (you should just see there slick full-color glossy brochures.  Cool, until you realzie that your tax dollars have indirectly paid for that stuff) As such, shitloads have been bought with unit funds.  Most folks try them once or twice, then bitch at supply to get them the real cleaning rods and jags.  

I just noticed your avatar - you out there on Butts?

I'm with you there.  On my first ME tour I was given an OTIS kit.  By the time my third tour rolled around, I collected all the OTIS kits from my guys and gave them back to the supply sgt.  I was tired of stuck patches and bitching PFCs.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:48:47 AM EDT
[#20]
I've used Otis products for many many years and much prefer their system to the standard cleaning rod setup. You're much less likely to mess up your crown, etc, with the otis system. Someone mentioned people getting patches stuck in the bore... It's very easy to adjust the way the patch fits by changing which hole you use in the patch. - Or if you're using the pull-through with a standard patch, just use a pocket knife to put the hole wherever you want/need it to be for a particular caliber/rifle. That's one of the great things about the system. It's easy to adjust the fit of the patch. Of course, that does invite Gomer Pyle types to screw it up and get a patch too tight in the bore, but I can honestly say that in all these years there has never been a time that I have seen one so stuck that a good yank with the t-handle attached to the pull through couldn't get it to come on through.

As with most things, it's personal preference, but I love them. Give 'em a try.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:55:32 PM EDT
[#21]
OTIS and Dewy are my favorites

Otis will fit in a Grip if ya have a Tele stock

Works great if you know how?

I also like the OLd GI kits
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top