Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/30/2009 7:58:01 AM EDT

That could be placed on a .22lr upper that would allow the shooter to not need hearing protection.    I live in MN and suppressors are a NO-NO but was wondering if any compensator or other attachment would direct enough noise away from the shooter to fire it with out hearing protection.  

I don't want anything that will get myself or anyone else shooting it in legal trouble just trying to make life a little more convient.

Any suggestions?

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:09:43 AM EDT
[#1]
A Noveske KX3 flash suppressor is used by AR15 SBR and pistol shooters to direct the 556 blast down range.  I would assume it would help with a 22lr.

Craig
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:20:35 AM EDT
[#2]
shoot thought a pillow
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:23:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Try sub-sonic rounds... I doubt they'll cycle though...
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:34:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
shoot thought a pillow po-ta-to

Seriously though, Aguila makes a heavy .22 (60grn?) called SSS that is quiet, and may cycle the action.  Problem is, it emits a lot of smoke and sparks.  Give it a try if you can find any.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:59:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Just get your bolt good and broken in....maybe do a little polishing to help out......then try shooting subsonic rounds.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 10:14:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Compensators all INCREASE  noise to the shooter, So called quiet ones are only less loud than traditional ones, not quieter than a plain barrel.

Try CCI standards and other match and subsonic ammo. Consider a longer barrel, like a 20".

These things can be tuned to run on nearly anything.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 10:43:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Subsonic ammo and a 24" barrel.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:01:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I will try the subsonic rounds.   It will have to be after I get my upper back,,,, it got home sick.   It may come back with a different bolt.   I was hoping for a solution that would work with federal bulk ammo I have.  I dont have as much as some of the ammo horders here do but it is a lot of ammo for me.  

Anyone got any suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:12:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Short answer. Anything that "muffles" the sound is a suppressor, and as such it appears you can't have it.

Now having said that. Subsonic ammo is proably your best bet. The Aguila SSS is nice decent power too with all that weight. The Aguila Colibri is even more stealthy, but since it only has a primer not enough power to cycle.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:52:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Get a can and be done with it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:04:04 PM EDT
[#11]
move  
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:21:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Get a can and be done with it.

He's in MN where cans are not allowed...Said so in his original post.  I got the feeling he REALLY wants one though, even if he can't have one there.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:44:34 PM EDT
[#13]
To cycle subsonics do the 15 Minute Practical Trigger Job for the AR-15. Then polish the rails on the Ciener kit and the front of the hammer.

I am able to shoot just about any subs without issue.

Also, I have fired all kinds of full power loads and never had a light strike with this mod to the trigger/hammer.

KX3's are great. I had one on a 13.5" AR and it made a huge difference. I was just thinking of buying another one to see if it will work on a few other calibers.

Dolomite
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top