Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2005 10:42:45 AM EDT
Other than Cabella's and Georgia Precision, where would someone be able to find MK262?
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 10:57:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Forget you ever heard of Georgia Precision.

Try Fulton Armory, they might be in the industry forum.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 3:56:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Fulton Armory is the only one I know, but if there are any others out there I'm also interested.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 5:08:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Cabellas just sent me notice that mine was shipped so they may have some in stock now
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 6:25:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Cabellas just sent me notice that mine was shipped so they may have some in stock now

I received a e-mail Saturday, and UPS shows mine is on the road. But they only shipped me HALF of my order. Rest is Backorder .Well over 6 weeks now, and they said another 4 weeks or so for the rest.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 7:44:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I only ordered 5 boxes, How much did you order
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 8:01:20 PM EDT
[#6]
You're talking about Black Hills 77gr SMK stuff, not actual issue Mk262?
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 8:50:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I had some up for sale on the AR Accessories & Misc. Board. It sold quickly. Then again, it was the real military ammo.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 7:03:53 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I only ordered 5 boxes, How much did you order

4 boxes. They sent out 2 for now.
Funny, that will  keep my CC bill down and off the radar.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 9:16:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I sell a little BH on the side and when I contacted them about purchasing some MK262 for resale they told me that they only sell it to Fulton Armory and Cabelas.

This makes me a little angry at Fultons, Cabelas, and Blackhils. It's not as though we don't already have enough restrictions with our right to keep and bear arms that these companies would limit the sale of one of the hottest and newest rounds available.

I don't know all the details behind this limitation other than this but I guess money talks.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 10:28:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I sell a little BH on the side and when I contacted them about purchasing some MK262 for resale they told me that they only sell it to Fulton Armory and Cabelas.

My local dealer was told the same thing when I asked him if he could get some in stock.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 11:04:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Damn, I guess the fact that it's being used probably as fast as it is being made by the military doesn't matter to anyone.  What Cabelas and Fulton get are blemished rounds, not grade 1 stuff.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 7:47:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Damn, I guess the fact that it's being used probably as fast as it is being made by the military doesn't matter to anyone.  What Cabelas and Fulton get are blemished rounds, not grade 1 stuff.

BH didn't tell lme that they only sell blem'd rounds to Cabelas and Fulton...but if this is fact then it still doesn't explain why BH would refuse to sell the same ammo to cicilians. I'm not a fan of prejudices concerning our right to keep and bear arms by providing inferior product to the civi's.

Still, concerning selling blems...why still limit it to only these two dealers?

BH would produce where the demand is...if the market demands more MK262 they would reduce production of a lesser selling product and produce more MK262...that is if they were willing to sell it to the civi's at all.

Competition drives down prices and increases demand. Thus not only would BH want to produce more but competitors would come in with their alternatives.

restricting sales to certain dealers and to the civi market drives prices up and reduces demand.

The same driving factor behind incremental gun control...drive prices up, availability down and price the right to keep and bear arms out of reach of the people.

Now I'm afraid I may be hijacking this post.

William
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 7:51:55 AM EDT
[#13]
As "Phobia" posted, the ammo that Cabela's and Fulton Armory get are Factory Seconds "blems". If we have these on the shelf and they are not spoken for they are available to gunshops or sporting goods retailers that ask for them.

We have been out of these for quite some time now and Cabela's has asked for the next 30,000 rounds or so that may become available.

FYI, for those that have this ammo on order from Cabela's, you should see them starting to be filled next week.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 8:59:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't think that BH refuses to sell it to civilians, I beieive that they don't do direct sales.  If you want real MK 262, you would need a minumum amount, say 50k.  No one person is going to buy that so you would need a dealer to handle it for you and since it's expensive not many would be willing to shell out a ton of money for it and then have it sit.  It's expensive because the SMK bullet is not an easily constucted round like your regular 55 grain FMJ bullet.  

There was a group but here a few years ago, run thru GPSS, the first batch was made and then all went to hell, people are still waiting for there money back.

If I ever won Lotto, I would find somehow to order 100k and sell it cheap to Arfcomers only, heck, I can dream can't I.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 9:21:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Remember that there's limited supply...

When there's a limited supply, ALL of that supply might be 'gobbled up' by a relatively small number of suppliers... It may APPEAR that they're only selling it to a few companies, they may even say that, but what's really going on is that they're sold out so far into the future that it just doesn't matter.  They don't have any to sell you.

Remember, every company has priorities in their customers, and Cabela's is going to be a lot farther up that list than Billy Bob's Firearms and Liquor store...
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 12:06:13 PM EDT
[#16]
It sounds like as far as the blems and availablity goes I was only given about half the information, no fault of the BH rep I spoke to they probably just didn't feel elaboration was necessary. Glad to hear that blems can go to anyone and cabelas just probably spoke for more blems than BH can produce in 10 years and they want to keep their biggest customer happy.

But as for a minumum purchase of 50k rounds or so for new ammo...this is not true...the minimum purchase for all their other ammo is a case. I called back and spoke with someone else who sounded better informed and they told me that they will not sell the new 5.56 ammo to anyone but the military regardless of purchase quantity and will not release it to the commercial market period.

Link Posted: 7/20/2005 1:59:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Fulton did me right, I'd reccomend them.  Bought quite a bit solely on Wes' indication that something he built for me shot it exceptionally well with it. But, if you dont hafta have the cannelure etc, you may find something less esoteric works. Im finding the Bluebox 77 SMK shoots as well, regardless of lot, so Im holding the MK262.

As far as the available MK262 being "blems", perhaps Ive gotten a lucky batch, but Ive only seen a few minor imperfections on the brass.

Luck
Alac

Link Posted: 7/20/2005 3:48:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Mine arives tomarroe.
What exactly is the cannelure ??
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 5:36:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I received a e-mail Saturday, and UPS shows mine is on the road. But they only shipped me HALF of my order. Rest is Backorder .Well over 6 weeks now, and they said another 4 weeks or so for the rest.

Same here.  Was emailed that my 5 boxes were shipped but the other 5 boxes were backordered.  When I called I was told they should be shipping the next round August 15th.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 8:06:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Possible Source...

http://www.gizmosguns.com/product.asp?ProductID=17318

Link Posted: 7/21/2005 9:09:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 9:11:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Mine arives tomarroe.
What exactly is the cannelure ??

Mountain:

A cannelure is basically just a groove in a bullet. Does 2 things - keeps the bullet from setting back and contributes to fragmentation. Mk262 is also loaded to NATO pressures, bullet and primer are crimped and sealed. There used to be an ammo oracle linked above, but its no longer there, might try googling. Tat Brou and Troy  did a helluva job, hope it didnt go poof.  

Luck
Alac
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 10:01:58 AM EDT
[#24]
The MK262 has been discussed a lot here recently in the Ammunition Forum and in the Ammo Oracle, but I'm still not completely clear on the specs.  

Black Hills manufactures the MK262 and the BH Red and Blue Box 77gr Sierra Match King, but is the BH 77gr SMK bullet cannelured and crimped, is the primer crimped and sealed, and is it SAAMI spec (probably) or MilSpec?  And, although the MK262 Mod1 is cannelured, is it also crimped (or is it a given that since it is cannelured it is always crimped)?

Cartridge        Bullet                  Primer            Pressure
MK262 Mod 0      No Cann/No Crimp        Crimp/Seal        MilSpec
MK262 Mod 1      Cann/??                 Crimp/Seal        MilSpec
BH 77gr SMK      ??                      ??                ??

Link Posted: 7/21/2005 8:32:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 4:07:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:54:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Necropost - where is the Mk262 located at on Cabelas? Is it the Black Hills ammo they are selling as 5.56mm MKCL?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:25:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Bartholomew_Roberts;  You are correct. The MK262 Mod 1 "blems" are listed as 5.56MM MKCL.

The MKCL stands for: MatchKing Cannelured  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:47:46 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BH didn't tell lme that they only sell blem'd rounds to Cabelas and Fulton...but if this is fact then it still doesn't explain why BH would refuse to sell the same ammo to cicilians. I'm not a fan of prejudices concerning our right to keep and bear arms by providing inferior product to the civi's.
they don't refuse to sell it to us civies, it's just that all the first quality stuff goes straight to uncle sam, and legaly they can not sell us "military surplus" ammo, thanks to BillyboyClinton. There is no better ammo company in the world then Black hills ammo. And they do what they can for us non .gov shooters. This is one of those things where we should be happy we can even get the seconds, which in most cases are still better then most places firsts. i'd rather that the guys who use it in Iraq and Astan get it before I have the option to get it, they need it more. You also have liability issues to think about. This ammo is intened for use in 5.56 chambers, it's a higher pressure round, you have to take into account that someone will be stupid and fire it in a .223 chambered gun, and ther ecan be potential problems with that.

Still, concerning selling blems...why still limit it to only these two dealers? because it's easier that way, and the supply is not constant.

BH would produce where the demand is...if the market demands more MK262 they would reduce production of a lesser selling product and produce more MK262...that is if they were willing to sell it to the civi's at all. I'll let Jeff or Carl handle that one.

Competition drives down prices and increases demand. Thus not only would BH want to produce more but competitors would come in with their alternatives.

restricting sales to certain dealers and to the civi market drives prices up and reduces demand. I have yet to see a reduction in demand for Mk262 mod 1 seconds simply because only two places are carrying it. Adn the prices I see at other places when they do manage to get it in are actually higher then  cabelas.

The same driving factor behind incremental gun control...drive prices up, availability down and price the right to keep and bear arms out of reach of the people.

Now I'm afraid I may be hijacking this post.

William

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:42:43 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Necropost - where is the Mk262 located at on Cabelas? Is it the Black Hills ammo they are selling as 5.56mm MKCL?

I am trying, but I can't find these.  Only the BH red, blue and black box.  Any way to get someone to them?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:04:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Black Hills

The only one listed as 5.56mm...
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:26:04 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Black Hills

Thanks, I found it.  But I am a bit confused.  Why is the "reject" MK262 (assuming that is what it is) $9 cheaper per box than the BH red box .223 moly?  I have been told the .223 is at least 100 fps slower than the 5.56 version and I know it is easier to get.  I guess I just expect MK262, even the rejects, to be expensive since no one can even seem to find them.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:46:22 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Black Hills

Thanks, I found it.  But I am a bit confused.  Why is the "reject" MK262 (assuming that is what it is) $9 cheaper per box than the BH red box .223 moly?  I have been told the .223 is at least 100 fps slower than the 5.56 version and I know it is easier to get.  I guess I just expect MK262, even the rejects, to be expensive since no one can even seem to find them.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth...
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:49:42 PM EDT
[#34]
[jedi mind trick]This isn't the ammo you're looking for.  

You can go about your business.[/jedi mind trick]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top