Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2016 6:31:43 PM EDT
Building a mk12 clone.  Won't be perfect, as I can't afford the correct scope.  I just orchard the Arms #22 rings (30mm I believe). I'm looking for a scope that will suit my needs and my budget. Only range around here that goes beyond 100 yds is 300yds. Ideally, I'd like to be able to hit further out then that. But that would be rare.

I've been looking at offerings on optics planet and a few sights,  and I realized I know nothing about this part of the shooting world. My other AR and my work platforms are both AimPoints.

What would be the optimal magnification?  

Thanks

ETA: Chambered in .223 Wylde, but would probably see a mix of 5.56 and .223, and budget would be conservative $300. But could bump it up a bit if needed/worth it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're on a budget, the 2.5-10 FFP Viper PST is the way to go.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:03:24 PM EDT
[#2]
One of my favorite scopes here. Have it on my SPR, the BDC reticle and illumination are really nice. Similar scopes in higher tier categories start off at almost $300 more.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:41:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Building a mk12 clone.  Won't be perfect, as I can't afford the correct scope.  I just orchard the Arms #22 rings (30mm I believe). I'm looking for a scope that will suit my needs and my budget. Only range around here that goes beyond 100 yds is 300yds. Ideally, I'd like to be able to hit further out then that. But that would be rare.

I've been looking at offerings on optics planet and a few sights,  and I realized I know nothing about this part of the shooting world. My other AR and my work platforms are both AimPoints.

What would be the optimal magnification?  

Thanks

ETA: Chambered in .223 Wylde, but would probably see a mix of 5.56 and .223, and budget would be conservative $300. But could bump it up a bit if needed/worth it.
View Quote

I'm running a Sig Tango 4 on my MK12 for the moment while I save up. The Vortex option is a great one as well. If you give us your budget we can probably help you a bit better.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:55:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:25:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
On a 300 dollar budget I would go with the Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40.  Completely satisfied with mine.  mil turrets, good glass.

https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/mark-ar-riflescopes/mark-ar-mod-1-3-9x40mm/
View Quote

I got to go over to field and stream today and look through this option. I was impressed. They had a very similar model from leupold, for about 150 less,  that was also a 3-9x40 and the turrets seemed a but more tactile. It had increments of .1m @100m per click,  and was a duplex (I think that was the word).

Considering I know nothing,  why would I go with the AR over the other one.  They seemed the same to me. And the cheaper one had mil-dots on all 4 cross hairs, as opposed to only the bottom on the AR.

Sorry for probably the most basic questions. I'm still learning.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:07:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Duplex? Heavy or fine? I like fine cross hairs and hash marks for grouping with illumination for low light.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:13:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
On a 300 dollar budget I would go with the Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40.  Completely satisfied with mine.  mil turrets, good glass.

https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/mark-ar-riflescopes/mark-ar-mod-1-3-9x40mm/
View Quote

This, or perhaps even better would be what I consider to be the greatest value on the planet in a mid-powered tactical scope:

Weaver Grand Slam Tactical 3-10x40.  It has .1 mil per click turrets that are accurate and repeatable and a mil dot reticle that matches the turrets, all for $299 when on sale.  It is a MidwayUSA exclusive they have worked out with Weaver.  The scope, its glass and its construction are all Japanese, which means very good.  In fact, incredible at its price point.

I often recommend Leupold, but unless you can move up to the VX-R line (I also have a 3-9x40 Leupold Patrol), the Weaver has demonstrable better glass than the Mark AR.  While the Mark AR is a great scope, the GST is better in every way.  I don't know how they do it.  It is not illuminated. No gimmicks.   You are paying for the very good Japanese glass, excellent tracking and built quality.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:30:23 PM EDT
[#8]
The last Weaver 30mm scope (1-4) I ordered online showed up marked "Made in the Philippines", that may be "how they do it".
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:46:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This, or perhaps even better would be what I consider to be the greatest value on the planet in a mid-powered tactical scope:

Weaver Grand Slam Tactical 3-10x40.  It has .1 mil per click turrets that are accurate and repeatable and a mil dot reticle that matches the turrets, all for $299 when on sale.  It is a MidwayUSA exclusive they have worked out with Weaver.  The scope, its glass and its construction are all Japanese, which means very good.  In fact, incredible at its price point.

I often recommend Leupold, but unless you can move up to the VX-R line (I also have a 3-9x40 Leupold Patrol), the Weaver has demonstrable better glass than the Mark AR.  While the Mark AR is a great scope, the GST is better in every way.  I don't know how they do it.  It is not illuminated. No gimmicks.   You are paying for the very good Japanese glass, excellent tracking and built quality.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have this same scope of my Grendel. It's the shit and made in Japan.

The 1" tube is why it's priced at $299 vs comparable 30mm scopes.

It's an awesome scope.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:58:00 PM EDT
[#10]
For 100 - 300+ yards, check out the SWFA SS 10x42 tactial there are lots of great reviews.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:01:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The last Weaver 30mm scope (1-4) I ordered online showed up marked "Made in the Philippines", that may be "how they do it".
View Quote

The GST is clearly labeled "Made in Japan". The only criticism I have of it is that you can't shoot to 1,000 yards with it without putting it on a MOA sloped base.  It has a 1" main tube which necessarily limits elevation range to about 750-800 yards.  Put a 20 MOA base under it and its golden to 1,000.

Most people will not shoot out that far, so it's no issue for them.  Mine is sitting atop a Sako action long range bolt gun that is 1,000 capable.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:34:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Primary Arms 4-14x 5.56 FFP scope should fit your bill nicely
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top