Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2019 1:25:07 AM EDT
I hunt with a 1.25-4 non patrol vxr on my 450 bushmaster really like it have a new project been thinking of a 3-9 patrol what's everyone's thoughts on it for a  mostly paper punching/varmint hunting rig
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 5:02:37 AM EDT
[#1]
It is pretty light weight compared to most scopes the same size, glass is really good for the price. I have one on a DMR type rifle and only thing I wish it had was locking turrets, but the turrets are very accurate.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 1:08:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the non-Patrol 3-9 and it’s a total gem. It looks bulky but it’s not. Riding on a 6.5 110 Tactical and Warne rings. I’ve had all manner of Leupold and I’ve yet to be disappointed. It used to be on a 16” Grendel. Illumination is fantastic.

ETA: mine serves the same role that yours will, hunting/paper punching. Check out drgunsupply.com. They have the best deals on Leupold I’ve found.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 7:33:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one and I really like it.  Great glass, everything you would expect from Leupold.

Right now at Midway USA for $389.  I don't know if it's being discontinued or what.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one and I really like it.  Great glass, everything you would expect from Leupold.

Right now at Midway USA for $389.  I don't know if it's being discontinued or what.
View Quote
Thanks for the replies ordered one from midway and that's what I was wondering if it was discontinued like i said really like the non patrol I have

Link Posted: 12/23/2019 7:52:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought the reticle was to thick and I wasn’t a fan of the exposed turrets. Other than that it’s a nice light weight optic.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 9:14:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I love mine.  I run it on my Recce with an offset Deltapoint Pro for in close.  The 3-9x40mm Patrol is mil/mil with the TMR Firedot reticle.  It tracks well.  As others have said, it’s one of the lighter mid-powered illuminated mil/mil scopes.  Very durable.  The thicker than typical reticle is beneficial in low light or against a dark background.

It is SFP, but most scopes with good glass in that price range and power range will be.

It’s a very good tactical scope for the money.  If you get it, I recommend adding the screw in fold flat metal scope caps.

Link Posted: 12/28/2019 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a couple of the 3-9 Patrols. They are very nice for the price. I would rate the clarity with the older Mk4 glass.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 8:55:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I've been very pleased with the 3-9 Patrol with Firedot. Quick handling with the illuminated, thick reticle. Downside is that you lose some precision with that thickness. Also wish the turrets were not exposed but it's not a major flaw if you pay attention to them.

Used for intermediate range hunting and paper punching, it's been a good setup for me.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 8:59:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a 3-9 Patrol Firedot on my M1A. I really like it. Locking turrets would be the only thing I'd change
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 3:48:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a 3x9x40 VXR (non-patrol) on my 450 Bushmaster I just finished building. Great quality glass and the red dot helps my aging eyes immensely. I like the beefier 30mm tube. 3x9 may be overkill on a shorter range round like the 450 BM, but I like to clearly see what I am shooting at....especially if it's to put meat in the freezer.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 12:11:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I run one on my LMT MWS and love it. Great glass for the price.

Link Posted: 1/5/2020 10:49:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I can confirm the VXR and patrol line is being dropped. The VX Freedom AR line is being expanded but due to Leupolds ad embargo not much will be be made public until Shot Show.
Currenty  the 175077 is the only  3-9-40 firedot Freedom on the shelves. I like the M5 elevation turret but so far they lack exposed windage turret. The glass itself and low light transmission is good with the Twilight Light Management System.
The 175079 VX-Freedom 4-12x40 (30mm) CDS Side Focus Tri-MOA might be worth a look at. It is side focus for less than the Patrol pirice point. If you want a .233mil reticle wait untill after Shot.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 11:05:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I can confirm the VXR and patrol line is being dropped. The VX Freedom AR line is being expanded but due to Leupolds ad embargo not much will be be made public until Shot Show.
Currenty  the 175077 is the only  3-9-40 firedot Freedom on the shelves. I like the M5 elevation turret but so far they lack exposed windage turret. The glass itself and low light transmission is good with the Twilight Light Management System.
The 175079 VX-Freedom 4-12x40 (30mm) CDS Side Focus Tri-MOA might be worth a look at. It is side focus for less than the Patrol pirice point. If you want a .233mil reticle wait untill after Shot.
View Quote
this one?

would you put it on par with the VXR Patrol glass?
https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle-scopes/vx-freedom-4-12x40-cds-30mm

better yet

https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle-scopes/vx-freedom-3-9x40-ar-firedot-30mm
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 11:51:54 PM EDT
[#14]
All Leupold glass starts out with the same glass blanks, the multi-coating is where the differance is. Both are Twilight Max so I would say yes on par.  Between the 2 firedot scopes I would lean toward the Partol due to exposed windage turrret and IIRC elevation turret is .223 BDC
Freedom elevation is .01 mil
SWFA has limited stock on the Patrol for $372 almost $50 off dist. cost and FREE ship w/ code SHIP99. I would jump on one if I didn't just order a couple VX-5HDs
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 12:26:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Got a 3-9 vx-r patrol in my hands now I need a mount been looking at Warne because I dont really need QD. What's everyone suggest?
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 1:52:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Got a 3-9 vx-r patrol in my hands now I need a mount been looking at Warne because I dont really need QD. What's everyone suggest?
View Quote
Larue CAN mounts at 140 bucks are a screaming deal.  I also like the Aero Ultralight mounts, they can be found for around 65 bucks.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 9:02:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
The Leupold 177094 is a solid mount. I like how the Screws are recessed, the big nuts on most other mounts can snag. Unless I need a 20moa or QD the Mark AR are my goto mount.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 4:23:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
All Leupold glass starts out with the same glass blanks, the multi-coating is where the differance is. Both are Twilight Max so I would say yes on par.  Between the 2 firedot scopes I would lean toward the Partol due to exposed windage turrret and IIRC elevation turret is .223 BDC
SWFA has limited stock on the Patrol for $372 almost $50 off dist. cost and FREE ship w/ code SHIP99. I would jump on one if I didn't just order a couple VX-5HDs
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Can you verify that first sentence?

I have a lot of scopes, many brands, many of them, perhaps a dozen or so, happen to be Leupold.  As good as my VX-R Patrol 3-9x40 is at its price point, there is no way it compares in resolving ability to my VX6 HD 2-12x at the same magnification in low light and at 300+ yards.  Lens coatings help enormously, but not t-h-a-t much.  The VX6 is very close to my Kahles Helia and Zeiss Victory class hunting scopes in detail resolution under those challenging conditions.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 12:18:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Does the VXR patrol have a zero stop on the elevation turret?
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 12:45:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
I do not have any experience with some of the other mounts mentioned, but I do not think you can beat the Warne one piece mount.  Easy setup and definitely solid.  Make sure you use Warne’s torque specs.  25 inch lbs on the rings and 65 inch lbs on the base.

I know Leupold has a new one piece mount that I have not used.  I like the older Leupold Mark AR mount, but it is not even close to the Warne.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 12:45:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Does the VXR patrol have a zero stop on the elevation turret?
View Quote
No zero stop on the Patrol.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top