Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2012 5:38:06 PM EDT
I have an A-1 Olympic arms  SGW stop sign AR that I bought form a co-worker in 1994. He bought it, shot it twice and lost interest. I bought it in 1994 and it has been in a safe until recently. I finally shot about 50 rounds through it. According to the OLY website, the lower was manufactured in 1985. Is this lower any more valuable than any other lower?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:42:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably not.  But I heard their name come up a little bit ago and someone was speaking of quality.  I think the rumor was a while back that indeed their AR's are not, well, they're no colts.  But their barrels are supposed to be pretty good.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:59:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have an A-1 Olympic arms  SGW stop sign AR that I bought form a co-worker in 1994. He bought it, shot it twice and lost interest. I bought it in 1994 and it has been in a safe until recently. I finally shot about 50 rounds through it. According to the OLY website, the lower was manufactured in 1985. Is this lower any more valuable than any other lower?

yes it's worth more to those in ban states.  mostly CT or NY.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:01:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Oooops.  Forgot about that aspect.  Sorry!
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:46:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes it's worth more to those in ban states.  mostly CT or NY.

This, I imagine even in a poor economy guys in NY/CT will pony up & buy a Pre-Ban just to have the evil bits.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:09:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Worth A GREAT DEAL MORE in the ban states. Sell it and help someone out and replace it and have much cash left over. Good deed done.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:15:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Or value it as a used lower and don't gouge people...
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:17:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I just bought a complete SGW pre ban rifle for $650, easily 95%-97%
Not everyone decides to gouge fellow Americans...
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:42:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Probably not.  But I heard their name come up a little bit ago and someone was speaking of quality.  I think the rumor was a while back that indeed their AR's are not, well, they're no colts.  But their barrels are supposed to be pretty good.

not all Oly barrels are created equal...the good ones were stamped SUM (for Super Ultra Match) by the fsb
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:20:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

not all Oly barrels are created equal...the good ones were stamped SUM (for Super Ultra Match) by the fsb

Thank you.  I've never had one and I was just sort of relaying hearsay.  So, take that for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:50:03 PM EDT
[#10]
My stop sign SGW (1983) has all Colt parts on the upper, in cluding MPC bolt and C MP CHROME BORE barrel:

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:55:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Pre-Ban SGW lowers are top quality forged parts.  Its the later OLY cast lowers that have a bad rap.  

Pre-Ban SGW's are worth a pretty penny in ban states.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top