Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2002 5:16:58 PM EDT
Hi, I'm new to AR's and I'm looking at purchasing a 20" A2 style AR. I see that Olympic Arms has the kit for $425 and it would be another $125 or so for a lower. I like the the price but what about the quality and assembly for a beginner(though I'm very mechanically minded).  The things I'm looking for are an A2 style upper, decent accuracy, 16" or 20"(preferably) barrel, not the fake collapsible stock and a price of 500-700. Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 4:00:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Chris,

The nice thing about Oly Arms is the waranty. I'm sure you've seen it on their website. The price of the kit isn't bad. All you have to do is find yourself a lower. Either fully assembled or you can assemble one yourself. You say your mechanically minded but your also new to AR's. Your better off getting a fully assembled lower.

When shopping for an AR, try and follow the ABC rule. Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt. Oly Arms has gotten better in quality over the years. But they don't come close to the rifles I mentioned before.

I myself have a Bushmaster. I came pretty close to purchasing a PCR-4 20" but a good deal came around for the Bushmaster. I say wait a while and save up for a Bushy. It may be a high investment for you, but you'll be happy you did.

As a dealer, I price my Bushmaster rifles between $800 to $900.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 4:30:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Chris,

Just finished my first AR build. It was an Oly PCR-4 kit with an OLY forged lower. Used the lower assembly instructions from this forum and all went smooth. Passed all function tests and the fit and finish are excellent. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Oly kit. I see a CAR in the near future. Now if it quits raining I'll take it for a test drive....:o)
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 6:10:18 AM EDT
[#3]
A, B, C, RR
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 6:25:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Built my AR out of Oly upper kit and Oly lower. Very happy with it.  Hard to beat for the money.

Link Posted: 10/23/2002 9:04:04 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
A, B, C, RR

A,RR, B, C,
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 9:26:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually.. RR, A, B,C
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 10:22:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
But they don't come close to the rifles I mentioned before.

So what is the difference in quality amongst them?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top