Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/29/2005 9:41:15 AM EDT
I just bought a new Olympic Arms w/ 16" HBAR barrel.  I'm pretty sure that it is not a chrome lined barrel.   I've been to the range several times with it since I've had it and usually run around 100 rounds though it each time.

After I get back from the range and clean it....it seems like it takes forever to clean the barrel.
I'll run the brush though it with some copper solvent 15-20 times, and then start running patches through it until they come out clean.  I bet it takes 30+ patches before they start coming out clean......is that normal?  It seems much hard to clean that my other hunting rifles.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:59:00 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I just bought a new Olympic Arms w/ 16" HBAR barrel.  I'm pretty sure that it is not a chrome lined barrel.   I've been to the range several times with it since I've had it and usually run around 100 rounds though it each time.

After I get back from the range and clean it....it seems like it takes forever to clean the barrel.
I'll run the brush though it with some copper solvent 15-20 times, and then start running patches through it until they come out clean.  I bet it takes 30+ patches before they start coming out clean......is that normal?  It seems much hard to clean that my other hunting rifles.

Are you running copper solvent through it every time?  It is my understanding that copper solvent should only be used every thousand rounds or so.  You should be fine if you run 4 or 5 patches soaked with Hoppes 9  through it then a brush and then a few more wet patches.  Maybe 10-12 dry patches to dry it out and then an oiled patch or two and you're done.  MJD
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:55:38 PM EDT
[#2]
It is normal. Oly does not make chrome lined bbls so they take a bit more cleaning than chrome lined.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Like was mentioned already...”Are you using copper solvent each time?”

I use Hoppes #9 and have recently switched to a nylon bore brush. Using a bronze brush and copper solvent or even Hoppes will leave residue behind from the solvent attacking the brush. I switched to a solid one piece rod from Outers. I was using a sectional aluminum rod and I believe the Hoppes was attacking it also. I  also switched to a nylon brush and noticed that I now use fewer patches. Also wipe down your cleaning rod each time you remove it.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=7&t=245343
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:12:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, I have been running copper solvent through it every time.  Maybe I'll hold off on the copper solvent and just use some of the "nitro powder solvent".  I never thought about the copper solvent eating up the bore brush....maybe that's why my brushes seem to wear out so fast hanks
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:05:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I use copper solvent every time. No sence in letting it build up.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top