User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 1181
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 5:20:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5pt56] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
Don't mod that vintage glass. It's easy enough to find the correct glass for a clone.
View Quote
Yeah....like the EE right now. (Shameless plug)

Edit: Page ownage
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 5:35:31 PM EDT
[#2]
@5pt56 @SecretSquirell I have two of them plus a 3x9. They were all bought at the same time to go on my Ruger M77 7mag, two more M77 mannlichers in 308 and 243. The 308 has some importance but the 243 can get cannibalized.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 6:46:11 PM EDT
[#3]

H
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Early SPR and Mini Recce.

Took them out to 600m the other day. Both of them consistently hit 8" plate with IMI Razor Core. Also consistently landed hits on 2/3 size IPSC at 600m with MEN M193 through the Mini

Link Posted: 10/30/2019 11:48:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 6:51:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Samson-Dogg:
Just a quick update. Just got prices from the printer. This is just an estimate but it looks like what I’ll do is a package deal. The package will contain:
1-MK12 MOD 1 operator manual
1-MK12 MOD 0/1 operator manual
1- heavy laminated ballistic card for Black Hills 77gr MK262
2- round count log books
View Quote
I hope I haven't missed something.  Is there any update on when these will be ready to go?
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 7:09:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 12:24:25 AM EDT
[#8]
OG SPR...Original fsgb, handguard, OPS INC 12th model... etc.

Link Posted: 11/1/2019 1:34:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 5pt56:
https://i.imgur.com/YXXitAC.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/dffnXIX.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/w7QwZKp.jpg
View Quote
Coming along nicely!

Still needs those side holes filled in on the handguard, and if you really want to get froggy be like @Hunterex and fill in alternating slots on that #38 to mimic the SPR-MOD rails with the weaver style double spaced section.

And I'm sure you're already trying to track down an illuminated Vari-X of course, bonus if you find some 62gr M855 M3 turrets somehow.

Oh, and it'd be cooler with an A2 grip. Really haven't seen the OG SPRs with the A1s, unless you're just doing some swapping around.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 9:18:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:
Coming along nicely!

Still needs those side holes filled in on the handguard, and if you really want to get froggy be like @Hunterex and fill in alternating slots on that #38 to mimic the SPR-MOD rails with the weaver style double spaced section.

And I'm sure you're already trying to track down an illuminated Vari-X of course, bonus if you find some 62gr M855 M3 turrets somehow.

Oh, and it'd be cooler with an A2 grip. Really haven't seen the OG SPRs with the A1s, unless you're just doing some swapping around.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 5pt56:
https://i.imgur.com/YXXitAC.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/dffnXIX.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/w7QwZKp.jpg
Coming along nicely!

That handguard pri's offering?
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 3:29:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Question for the group, regarding the Mod 0 vs Mod H in terms of accuracy. Is there any ballistic advantage for the extra 2" of barrel provided by a Mod 0/1? Lots of people like the Mod H for its improved handling and say that it is just as accurate/effective. Is there no advantage to having a (even slightly) longer barrel in terms of accuracy/external ballistics?
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 4:09:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Engineer5] [#12]
Originally Posted By Aybear:
Question for the group, regarding the Mod 0 vs Mod H in terms of accuracy. Is there any ballistic advantage for the extra 2" of barrel provided by a Mod 0/1? Lots of people like the Mod H for its improved handling and say that it is just as accurate/effective. Is there no advantage to having a (even slightly) longer barrel in terms of accuracy/external ballistics?
View Quote
There are a ton of articles on the net that deal with velocity and barrel length.  With out looking I think there is roughly a 100+/- fps difference drop between 18" and 16" barrels in 5.56.

There are a bunch of other variables that affect accuracy.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 4:32:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Engineer5:

There are a ton of articles on the net that deal with velocity and barrel length.  With out looking I think there is roughly a 100+/- fps difference drop between 18" and 16" barrels in 5.56.

There are a bunch of other variables that affect accuracy.
View Quote
Absolutely, no question about that. I was more wondering if anyone who had first hand experience with both noticed a difference in group sizes or any limitations at extended ranges due to the shorter barrel. Or if the general consensus was that there is no perceptible change between the two.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 4:34:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 11/3/2019 4:37:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 9:53:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Hunterex:

View Quote
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 10:06:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 10:07:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 100roundclipazine] [#18]
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 11:02:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 10:49:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Went to a Luau this past weekend

Link Posted: 11/5/2019 11:06:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By BurtSaun1049:
Went to a Luau this past weekend

https://i.imgur.com/Rm2a3fN.jpg
View Quote
The best Luau!    Such a sexy gun!!
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 1:17:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: THEdtw] [#22]
Wound up with an extra ff ras and would like to turn it into an fde pri gen iii if anyone's interested.    Mine is used.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 9:53:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildman0723] [#23]
Wish I would have known about that before I sold my FDE rail.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 10:06:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 12:33:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By DoubleTap556:

@RTUtah what colors did you use for your camo pattern it looks great
View Quote
Thanks man. That's the original paint job I laid on all those years ago so it's pretty salty. I always just use the two Rustoleum browns with a mesh pattern. Sometimes I mix in a flat grey primer but not on that spray. I start with the lighter color and alternate between it and the darker color, frequently going back and forth several times. Just improvise the pattern, don't try and plan anything out. Those sprays almost always turn out too obvious.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 2:32:18 PM EDT
[#26]
I just left the printer and viewed the manual proofs. Everything will be ready the end of next week. My Selina is one book is taking a little longer because I got it late and had no PDF for it. I don’t know if I should just wait or do two shipments. I know everybody has been waiting for these. I will come up with how to do this and get them to everyone and post in a couple days. Below is a pic of the extra book I wasn’t sure I was going to be able to get but thanks to a fellow mk12 cloner I was able to get one and get it to the printer. Anyway just wanted to update. Not much longer. I will probably start the list Monday. I want to stay ahead on this.

Also if anyone has an ARMS #36 S-EX top rail I need one big time. As in $$$$$.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 2:34:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Samson-Dogg] [#27]
And actually I have no idea if that tube data book goes with the mk12 or not or why it’s used. Maybe someone here knows something about it or has used one can tell us. Only one I know of is on eBay. I know it’s record keeping for a weapon but that’s all I know.
I thought maybe since it said part 2 it went with the round count log book.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 2:57:34 PM EDT
[#28]
And actually I have no idea if that tube data book goes with the mk12 or not or why it’s used. Maybe someone here knows something about it or has used one can tell us. Only one I know of is on eBay. I know it’s record keeping for a weapon but that’s all I know.
I thought maybe since it said part 2 it went with the round count log book.
View Quote
The only weapons, that I know of, that the Army calls the barrel a tube is mortars and artillery.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:47:56 PM EDT
[#29]
I just left the printer and viewed the manual proofs. Everything will be ready the end of next week. My Selina is one book is taking a little longer because I got it late and had no PDF for it. I don’t know if I should just wait or do two shipments. I know everybody has been waiting for these. I will come up with how to do this and get them to everyone and post in a couple days. Below is a pic of the extra book I wasn’t sure I was going to be able to get but thanks to a fellow mk12 cloner I was able to get one and get it to the printer. Anyway just wanted to update. Not much longer. I will probably start the list Monday. I want to stay ahead on this.

Also if anyone has an ARMS #36 S-EX top rail I need one big time. As in $$$$$.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/330914/807795DD-DD53-4961-B33B-FDD09CC8AB98_jpeg-1152295.JPG
View Quote
Here is Part I, it logs the components of the weapon system. I use them to record all my accessories ie eotech and such.

Link Posted: 11/10/2019 2:28:37 PM EDT
[#30]
just getting started on my MK12 mod 1 build...Bill
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 5:37:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bimmertech87] [#31]
Hey guys I’ve been following this thread for a long time and am hoping to pick up a mod1 upper and AEM5 next month. My question is if you were in my shoes, would you buy a used upper off the EE, a complete upper from HCS which is about as correct as it can go, or a upper from Thorough Bred. My concern with going used is you don’t know how the previous owner cleaned it and no support should it shoot like crap. I like the idea of a HCS upper but it’s the priciest at almost $1600 shipped. I just found Thorough Bred and everything looks correct, but I have never seen them mentioned before. They are a bit cheaper and I plan on using a bcg that I already have on hand, I’ll just need to grab a charging handle.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 5:50:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kmcale] [#32]
Originally Posted By bimmertech87:
Hey guys I’ve been following this thread for a long time and am hoping to pick up a mod1 upper and AEM5 next month. My question is if you were in my shoes, would you buy a used upper off the EE, a complete upper from HCS which is about as correct as it can go, or a upper from Thorough Bred. My concern with going used is you don’t know how the previous owner cleaned it and no support should it shoot like crap. I like the idea of a HCS upper but it’s the priciest at almost $1600 shipped. I just found Thorough Bred and everything looks correct, but I have never seen them mentioned before. They are a bit cheaper and I plan on using a bcg that I already have on hand, I’ll just need to grab a charging handle.

Any thoughts?
View Quote
Getting off the EE isnt a bad idea, at least I dont think it is. Worst case, you need to find yourself a new barrel. Dont know much of Thorough Bred. Is HCS still pumping out uppers? Last I spoke with Kevin, he was dwindling things down
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 9:15:55 PM EDT
[#33]

Any thoughts?
View Quote
Thoroughbred are good to go, I've had good dealings with them and they aren't bananas on their pricing.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 10:05:46 PM EDT
[#34]
@RTUtah

Off topic, can you give me a schooling on the paint jobs in the center pics.  I’m trying to get up enough nerve to paint some rifles and I really like this darker, blended look more so than the tans, especially for my area.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 10:56:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By kmcale:

Getting off the EE isnt a bad idea, at least I dont think it is. Worst case, you need to find yourself a new barrel. Dont know much of Thorough Bred. Is HCS still pumping out uppers? Last I spoke with Kevin, he was dwindling things down
View Quote
I emailed kevin about a month ago asking for a price w/o a bcg and availability. He said they are still building basic mod1 uppers but don’t have any of the kac extras and to expect a few weeks turn around.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 10:59:52 PM EDT
[#36]

Thoroughbred are good to go, I've had good dealings with them and they aren't bananas on their pricing.
View Quote
Good to hear, I’m really liking this option the best.  They also seem to have the best price on a AEM5 I’ve seen. My dealer is supposed to be trying to track me one down but wasn’t sure if he could get a single unit from Allen engineering.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 11:49:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmyPilot12] [#37]

Good to hear, I’m really liking this option the best.  They also seem to have the best price on a AEM5 I’ve seen. My dealer is supposed to be trying to track me one down but wasn’t sure if he could get a single unit from Allen engineering.
View Quote
Try eSilencers. I bought my AEM 5 knurled from them and they still have the best price. They didn't charge any additional fees or even tax. I bought mine back in AUG of this year.
https://www.esilencers.com/product/allen-engineering-aem5-knurling/
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 12:29:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kmcale] [#38]

View Quote
Not sure the price you are getting/looking for, but I know HCS carrys the AEM5 (did anyway). And from when I shopped around for one, it was fairly priced. Might be worth checking up on

ETA: ArmyPilot's post is better price than HCS
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 12:36:50 AM EDT
[#39]
You also can get the AEM5 knurled from Thorobred. Email them and ask for a package price for the upper/suppressor. He has put the AEM5's on sale a couple of times recently.

I paid $550 for mine from another clone vendor by paying by check instead of credit card/debit card. Deals can be found.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 8:53:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 12:32:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Anyone have an extra or just want to get rid of a Gen Juan Socom stock? Really need one to finish my build.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 10:02:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By smokedoff:

@RTUtah

Off topic, can you give me a schooling on the paint jobs in the center pics.  I'm trying to get up enough nerve to paint some rifles and I really like this darker, blended look more so than the tans, especially for my area.
View Quote
Not much to it, really. Get the colors you want to use and start with the lightest first. Once it dries, lay down the darker color in random streaks and splotches; don't plan it out, just roll with it. Be sure you hold the can farther away and close up, experiment with how bold or soft the colors can get. Lay down whatever stencils you wanna use: foliage, laundry bag, etc. From here, you're basically just alternating between colors to soften the edges and present a variety of shades. It's not rocket science but there should definitely be a randomness to it all.

Beyond that, the paint really won't look right until it gets scuffed up and covered in oil and grease. Fresh paint never looks as good as a dingy coat.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 11:14:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By JLAudio:
You also can get the AEM5 knurled from Thorobred. Email them and ask for a package price for the upper/suppressor. He has put the AEM5's on sale a couple of times recently.

I paid $550 for mine from another clone vendor by paying by check instead of credit card/debit card. Deals can be found.
View Quote
that other vendor does that as well
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 9:07:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:
Not much to it, really. Get the colors you want to use and start with the lightest first. Once it dries, lay down the darker color in random streaks and splotches; don't plan it out, just roll with it. Be sure you hold the can farther away and close up, experiment with how bold or soft the colors can get. Lay down whatever stencils you wanna use: foliage, laundry bag, etc. From here, you're basically just alternating between colors to soften the edges and present a variety of shades. It's not rocket science but there should definitely be a randomness to it all.

Beyond that, the paint really won't look right until it gets scuffed up and covered in oil and grease. Fresh paint never looks as good as a dingy coat.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RTUtah:
Originally Posted By smokedoff:

@RTUtah

Off topic, can you give me a schooling on the paint jobs in the center pics.  I'm trying to get up enough nerve to paint some rifles and I really like this darker, blended look more so than the tans, especially for my area.

Did someone say dingy paint?

Shoot the fuck out of it, run it wet, and clean it with Brakekleen.  Sweat will also dingy it up a lot too lol.  It's so obvious to me that I switched lowers between the mod 0 and mod 1, given that I shoot the fuck out of the mod 1 and whatever lower it is on gets the most wear.

Link Posted: 11/13/2019 10:17:13 PM EDT
[#45]
I need to quit buying other shit and throw an AEM5 in jail already.

Link Posted: 11/13/2019 10:20:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By slim0428:
I need to quit buying other shit and throw an AEM5 in jail already.

https://i.imgur.com/H4mvkgQ.jpg?1
View Quote
Nice stick.  I've always said the very first part that should be purchased in a Mk12 build is the can.  By the time you get the rest of it all together the wait isn't any big deal.
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 10:53:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By wildman0723:
Anyone have an extra or just want to get rid of a Gen Juan Socom stock? Really need one to finish my build.
View Quote
There is one on gunbroker right now
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 11:05:15 PM EDT
[#48]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wildman0723:
Got a link? The only thing I'm finding are new production items.
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 11:48:21 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote
I’m talking about a lmt Sopmod gen 1 not the ace. I suck at linking but it’s listed by genofromreno. Search sr16 and follow that listing to other sellers items.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 12:47:16 AM EDT
[#50]
I’m talking about a lmt Sopmod gen 1 not the ace. I suck at linking but it’s listed by genofromreno. Search sr16 and follow that listing to other sellers items.
View All Quotes

Ah gotcha.
Page / 1181
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top