Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2005 3:39:07 AM EDT
I have a brand new Colt Match Comp H-BAR that has a tendency to pop off 3rd burst when you least expect it. I realize that it may be the hammer or disconnector, so I am going to drop in a Frank White trigger to solve the problem. Has anyone else had problems with their late production Colt's popping off three round burst (that is not suppose too ). Let me know.

Thanks,
8416w
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:57:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I cant offer any help, but i can say that sounds like a good problem to have.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:15:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

it's only a good problem until it gets your dog shot...
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:41:00 AM EDT
[#3]
An Agent will be by shortly.

Thanks for the tip off.

ETA seriously - DO NOT MODIFY send back to the COLT immediately after calling Colt customer service. The BATFE may consider this malfunction to constitute an MG. I would get on the horn with Colt customer support right away if I were you. Just my 2 cents worth. Use your warranty.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:51:44 AM EDT
[#4]
That is a BAD problem to have.  Going to the range and having a rifle go FA or Burst when you aren't aware of a problem is bad enough.  When you DO KNOW that it malfunctions and it does, then it IS your fault it went FA and you will suffer the consequences.  

You have the resources to figure out what the problem is and fix it, or just not use the rifle.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:30:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
An Agent will be by shortly.

Thanks for the tip off.

ETA seriously - DO NOT MODIFY send back to the COLT immediately after calling Colt customer service. The BATFE may consider this malfunction to constitute an MG. I would get on the horn with Colt customer support right away if I were you. Just my 2 cents worth. Use your warranty.

do what he said and dont tell everyone about it..  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:39:00 AM EDT
[#6]
You might want to delete this post and send it back to get fixed, like right NOW...
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:47:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I have an SKS that does it once in a while.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:13:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have an SKS that does it once in a while.

That's different - the SKS has a well known issue where if the firing pin movement is impeded by powder residue buildup or heavy grease, etc, it can cause the weapon to go full auto via slam fire.
this can be remedied by stripping and cleaning the bolt.

If an AR15 semi-auto is doing triple taps, this is a persistent mechanical condition where the disconnector is most likely malfunctioning - if put in a BATF lab it may well qualify as an unregistered MG. Notifying Colt of the condition, and returning the weapon for warranty work, or replacing the trigger group immediately and destroying the defective parts are really the only two choices here. I would choose the first of these choices.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:24:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you for your advice. I will definately get the problem fixed before the next time I use the rifle.

8416w
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:28:10 PM EDT
[#10]
hey before you destroy anything can you take some measurements for me?  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:06:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Warranty, warranty, WARRANTY!  Colt sent you a rifle that is out of spec somehow; make THEM figure it out and fix it at THEIR expense.  Anything you do could wind up biting you in the butt, either by making the situation worse or looking to some investigator as if you're trying to retain that "feature."  It's Colt's goof, they have a lot of people employed to make sure the customer is satisfied, and it is their responsibility.  Make them fix it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:39:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Thank you for all your responses, but the original question was Has anyone else had problems with their late production Colt's popping off three round burst (that is not suppose too ). My Colt is brand new and this was the first time at the range. After shooting 300+ rounds through the rifle, the rifle shot a 3rd burst on 5 seperate occasions only. I had planned to upgrade to a two stage match trigger anyway, so I am not concerned with Colt repairing the rifle ( and honestly afraid too allow them). Thank you again for your concerns and advice.

8416w
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:57:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Thank you for all your responses, but the original question was Has anyone else had problems with their late production Colt's popping off three round burst (that is not suppose too ). My Colt is brand new and this was the first time at the range. After shooting 300+ rounds through the rifle, the rifle shot a 3rd burst on 5 seperate occasions only. I had planned to upgrade to a two stage match trigger anyway, so I am not concerned with Colt repairing the rifle ( and honestly afraid too allow them). Thank you again for your concerns and advice.

8416w

Afraid of Colt repairing it? Don't be. They will simply  replace the FCG. They do a good job.
Whatever you plan to do, don't delay. Enthusiasts and trolls aren't the only ones reading internet gun forum postings.

To answer your original question, no my late model Colt (LE6920) after 1200 rounds has not had any instances of multiple rounds fired per single trigger pull. It fires strictly one shot per trigger pull.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:29:39 AM EDT
[#14]
I had one go FA. The pin for the firing pin was bent locking the firing pin forward. every time the bolt closed the firing pin would hit the primer just enough to set it off. Needless to say I was scared shitless when it did a 30 round mag dump without my finger on the trigger.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:53:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What would the dog be doing infront of the gun any way. Unless you work for peta and deside to put down 500 dogs because it would be cheaper then to keep them alive and feed them. (that really happened)
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:06:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What would the dog be doing infront of the gun any way. Unless you work for peta and deside to put down 500 dogs because it would be cheaper then to keep them alive and feed them. (that really happened)

You missed the joke.

The running joke about the BATFE(or other Gov't LE) is that when agents visit you, whatever else they do they will also shoot your dog.

it's like saying : "it's only a good problem until the BATFE visits"
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top