Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2009 2:51:05 PM EDT

If given equal scope with obj lens choices in 50 or 56mm - is there a pro or con for either? I assume the bigger obj lens is going to gather more light, but does the size limit you too much on mounting options? I want to find the right balance between the best scope and not having an uncomfortable head position on the rifle.

I'm leaning towards the 50mm size for easier mounting unless the difference of 6mm diameter is going to make that big a difference in optics quality or light gathering.

What say the experts?
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 7:47:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Certainly not an expert, but I did stay in my own house last night.  ;^)  
I have a Nightforce 5.5x22x56 on my AR10 on Leupold steel high rings and it just clears the Pic rail of the KAC RIS handguard.  So close that I cannot get the rubber NF scope cover on the objective lens without trimming off some of the rib on the cover.  I do know the Larue Tactical LT104 will work with this combo, but haven't purchased one just yet due to an upcoming address change.
If I had to do it over, I would probably buy the 50mm objective to allow more choices of mounts, but I do like the bright image the 56 affords.  I'm not really sure if there is all that much difference between the 50 and 56 in light gathering capability, as the NF optics are superb in clarity.  Perhaps someone that has done side by side can comment further on this in regard to the scopes.
I do know I would purchase the NF brand again, as I have not looked through anything that I can discern to be of better quality to this point.
BTW if you need/want to have a 10 or 20 degree canted mount for long range shooting (not required on the NF with 100 moa vertical), definitely go with the 50mm, as the 56 would probably be against the rail with a lens shade in place.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:05:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Certainly not an expert, but I did stay in my own house last night. ;^)

I have a Nightforce 5.5x22x56 on my AR10 on Leupold steel high rings and it just clears the Pic rail of the KAC RIS handguard. So close that I cannot get the rubber NF scope cover on the objective lens without trimming off some of the rib on the cover. I do know the Larue Tactical LT104 will work with this combo, but haven't purchased one just yet due to an upcoming address change.

If I had to do it over, I would probably buy the 50mm objective to allow more choices of mounts, but I do like the bright image the 56 affords. I'm not really sure if there is all that much difference between the 50 and 56 in light gathering capability, as the NF optics are superb in clarity. Perhaps someone that has done side by side can comment further on this in regard to the scopes.

I do know I would purchase the NF brand again, as I have not looked through anything that I can discern to be of better quality to this point.

BTW if you need/want to have a 10 or 20 degree canted mount for long range shooting (not required on the NF with 100 moa vertical), definitely go with the 50mm, as the 56 would probably be against the rail with a lens shade in place.

good points, thanks!

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top