Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2007 11:51:10 AM EDT
I called OLY at lunch today to see if the .45 cal barrels were available yet and the guy on the phone said they were in stock and on the shelf. Just a heads up.

Brian
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 12:59:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Not doubting you, pal, but I've had some poor communication with Oly in the past.  I just called and was told they'd be in "any moment now." Still, that's better than 2-3 weeks, which was an improvement over 4-6 weeks.  Inching our way there...
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 10:19:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I spoke to Tom Spithaler today and he told me they had 9mm barrels that just came in but no .45. The .45 barrels were due in anytime.

Once again, you don't know who to believe.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 8:36:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I got my bolt and barrel yesterday after about 7 weeks of waiting.

Ben
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 9:18:22 AM EDT
[#4]
That's interesting.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 12:13:34 PM EDT
[#5]
They said they had them when I place my order yesterday. You never know with Oly.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 2:07:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Oly has communication retards!
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 1:40:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I just got off the phone with Oly.

Was told that they had two post ban barrels left. I took one of them.

As of 5:30pm eastern time Thursday, there is ONE post-ban barrel left. Somebody get it!
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 3:41:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm completely convinced, no one at Oly has a clue as to what is on the shelf for .45 parts. If they just got a shipment in, why the hell would they order post ban barrels. If they've been sitting on a shelf all this time, then they are freaking tards as I asked about .45 barrels weekly for 3 months. I was even lead to believe I bought the last post ban barrel over a month ago.

Once KKF gets his barrel supplier up to speed, I will be getting all my barrels from Kurt and I have even seen a full auto BCG that used a standard M16 bolt carrier with a tungsten weight in the rear but used the standard Oly bolt. I am working on a way to build .45 uppers without any Oly parts.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 7:34:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I only called them today because other guys in this thread thought Oly had them in stock. I honestly didn't expect them to have any when I called. I spoke to Roger, he said they MIGHT still have some and put me on hold to check with the guys "in the back". When he came back on the line, he said they had two post-bans left, that's it. I guess I just got lucky. I figured I better get it while I could. Post-ban is OK for me, I'm gonna chop it down to about 7.5" anyway.

But I agree with you guys, I won't be convinced of anything until I'm giving UPS my signature.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 7:45:24 PM EDT
[#10]
There are some people who live States with Draconian laws that still have the 94 style gun-ban. That's why they are still ordering post ban barrels.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 3:14:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Please enlighten me guys...Do these .45 ACP barrels have barrel extensions that fit into a standard AR upper receiver?  I plan to use one in my MGI QCB upper.

Then add a .45 ACP bolt and I'm go to go?  Or am I missing something.

Last thing, can a std AR-15 magwell be used?  
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 7:47:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Oly .45 barrel extensions are dimensionally the same as a regular barrel extension externally so they fit into an upper receiver just like a regular AR15. You have to use an Oly bolt and bolt carrier as they are unique.

There are no new mags that fit a regular AR15 lower. Oly offered a 16 round and a 10 round modified Uzi mag but they ran out of them some time ago.

Dalphon modified some grease gun mags to work in a regular lower but they went out of business sometime ago.

The one real exception is the Cav Arms lower receiver. It is designed to use regular AR15 mags and is molded wider in the middle to take grease gun mags for use with a .45 upper receiver but this set up requires the Hahn magwell blcok and a Slash heavy buffer to keep from beat the receiver to death.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 1:03:53 PM EDT
[#13]
After seeing the lead message on this thread, I emailed J & S Gun Parts in Olympia who owe me an Olympic 45 upper.  Received an email back today advising that my upper  should be ready in a week and mentioned that he was about to contact me on the subject.  I haven't spoken to anyone at Olympic Arms.  Something must be happening.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 1:26:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#15]
What would be the upside and downside to using a Thompson barrel?
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 6:33:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Upside is cost. Oly retails their barrels at $220. A Thompson barrel from gun parts coproration is $104 + $45-$50 for Kurt at KKF to make and install a barrel extension. KKF rethreads the T barrel to standard AR barrel thread size and machines the shoulder back a little to allow the barrel to seat properly in the barrel extension.

Upside. The barrels are already chambered.

Upside is weight. The Thompson barrel is very light weight when compared to an Oly barrel and even to  KKF .750 barrel.

Upside. They can be had in 10" or 16". They can even be had with a threaded muzzle. I don't know what the thread size is but probably something funky from WWII.

Upside. Because they are already chambered, you can trim a little off the breach end for a .45 GAP version. I made one last year and it ran like a raped ape from unmodified Sten mags.

Upside. You can get them finned for a cool looking barrel and even lighter in weight than a standard T barrel.

Down side is barrel profile. The 16" Thompson barrels have a very unique profile that changes in size right where the FSB would go. Can't use a FSB in the traditional location due to this profile change. Will work great for a FF set up.

Downside. Not enough meat on the muzzle end for a shoulder for the FS to butt up against. There is enough material to thread the muzzle to 5/8x24 though. Any FS or can needs a shoulder for the end of the muzzle to stop against when installing or a shoulder needs to be welded behind the threads on the muzzle.

Downsize. Most I've seen are blued and probably need to be parkerized for a more durable finish.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:38:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Thx!

Kurt@KKF
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:02:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Posted by twl;
IIRC, Oly has their ejector riveted to the upper receiver, so their bolt probably only works with their upper.

Oly ejector is not rivited to the upper. The ejector spring mounts on a cross bar that runs from one side of the upper to the other and held in place with a roll pin. The set up consists of 4 parts. The ejector spring, a tension spring, the cross bar and the roll pin. It works fine just requires drilling 3 small holes in your upper receiver.

M60joe can modify an Oly BCG to work with a RRA/Colt ejector.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:26:22 PM EDT
[#19]

M60joe can modify an Oly BCG to work with a RRA/Colt ejector.

Bill, what is involved with such a modification?  Any issues?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:13:33 PM EDT
[#20]
M60Joe wleds up the ejector slot in the bolt and carrier and recuts the slot vertically to work with the "J" type ejector commonly seen in Colt/RRA 9mm magwell blocks. Last quote I got was $160 to do the conversion.

Dalphon used to modify Oly BCGs this way for the .45 conversion they sold before they went out of business. I don't know if they used Oly BCGs or made their own.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top