Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2008 9:42:43 AM EDT
Looking to spend upto $1k on safe, anyone with a good lead?

thanks
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 10:09:54 AM EDT
[#1]
You may have to look pretty hard to find one under $1k that will hold 24 rifles

I've thought about getting some scrap metal and building one
and not the tool box type snap on sells!!
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 10:13:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Save another 1k and get a Browning.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 10:19:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 11:10:34 AM EDT
[#4]
+1 on that...you'll need to spend between $1500 and $2000 to get something that large.  Trust me...make the investment, it's worth it for the peace of mind protexting all of your other investments.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 11:14:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought a Sentry Custom from Costco for $850.  It holds 12 rifles and shotguns comfortably, but I couldn't squeeze many more rifles into it.  You need 2 safes to hold as many as you're talking about.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#6]
look on craigslist.... try to find a used one
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 11:20:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Buy a 12 gun....save your pennies....buy another 12 gun....bolt them together and bolt both of them to the floor...then bolt them to the wall they stand against, then line the bottom with bags of shot.

If someone is stupid/persistent enough to try to get the two apart, or try to get them off the floor, or try to move them with that much weight in the bottom, then they're going to get caught in the process.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 11:39:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a Stack-On Total Defense 28 Gun Safe, got it on sale for 699, normally 899. Its rated 30 mins, and 5 locking and 3 dead bolts, even waterproof in 2 ft. of water for 72 hours. I know several people that have had them, and no complaints so far.

Total Defense Stack- On 28 Gun Safe
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 11:44:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a safe that costs under a grand, and while it's not the greatest safe in the world, it's better than my rifles leaning against the corner in a closet.  It's also plenty enough to deter the typical smash and grab burgular/crackhead/meth junkie.  Bolt it down, and you'll be O.K.  Also, buy bigger than you need.  It might hold 24 bolt guns w/ no scopes attached, but it won't hold 24 military-style rifles, w/ pistol grips and detachable mags, even if you remove the mags.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 11:51:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
look on craigslist.... try to find a used one

+1

I actually have three safes and a pair of them are 24-gun safes and the third is a little smaller but I bet it is rated to be a 20-gun safe still.  I bought one new, it is a Browning and weights about 800-pounds empty and the second of my big ones is a Fort Knox and I am not sure what it weights but I am quite sure it weights more then the Browning.  The Browning I paid about $900 for almost 10-years ago and the Fort Knox I picked up in the newspaper for $300.  The smaller safe I purchased off the forums here and I think I paid about $300 for that one too but it is a much lighter Liberty safe and I bet that one doesn't weight more then say 400-pounds.

The trick is regardless the size you buy get the safe and bolt them to the floor.  I like having three safes as between the house alarm and the choices a criminal has to make about which to try to cut into first I am quite confident they can't get everything.

Just remember as well that the sizes these manufactures post as for number of guns that will fit are based on skinny shotguns with no scopes.  You will get roughly half that number of ARs, AKs, or FALs in there based on my experience.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 8:35:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Liberty Safes are great:  even the really basic ones.  If you live near a Gander Mountain, they have regular promotions that can take $150-300 off the safe in the link.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 9:08:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a Sentry 7-14 gun safe. Right now I can only fit 6 "assault style" rifles in it. I had to take out my pump shotgun so the others will fit. Thinking about buying a second safe also. Or another idea i had was to buy or make those Gun Socks and just stuff them in the safe so it doesn't get scratched up.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 9:35:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a red head (it's a bass pro brand) It holds 24 guns and thensome. S.O.B weighs 890 lbs and me and my fiance moved it into her house, and yes by ourselves. took us an hour and a half what a beast it was, but it was $1500, $1200 after a military discount and signing up for their credit card
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 9:36:22 PM EDT
[#14]
You can get a lot more rifles in a safe than they call for if you are putting in AR style rifles...especially if you have a collapsable stock on some of them. You can store 2 in 1 slot that way one above another. At least I could in my liberty. Saving one side rifles I care about the finish with wood and the other for AR styles I built another shelf to sit them on.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 10:27:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I got a Remington Sportmans 17 for $750.  It's a Liberty safe, fire rated and great for my needs.  I also like that it's all black.  It looks sharp.  To be honest, after moving this one, I can't imagine how anyone manages moving the heavier, more expensive ones!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 10:38:39 PM EDT
[#16]
My big liberty which I have no idea how much it weighs (a lot) they just rolled it on a bunch of  4" PVC pipe like the Egyptians. Didn't hurt a thing and they could turn it to go in the door. Took them less than 5 minutes once they sat it on the PVC pipe to roll it into the house and into the gun room. Once there it took them about another 5 minutes of moving the rollers around so that when they slid it off it wound up in the right spot.

The one thing they had that rocked was they could pick it up from the top with a little boom deal on the truck to sit on the PVC first.

Kind of amazing you can sit that much weight on a few pieces of PVC pipe but it didn't even budge.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I hate to break it to the guys that think Liberty/Browning/Champion etc etc are great safes. Yes they will deter the simple thief but that is about it. Look at the specs of your safe and i will guaranty you that they are made of 12 or at best 10gauge metal. That is crap.

Give me a fire axe and i will tear into a 12gauge steel in less than 60seconds.  Do you think jewelers spend $10K on a small safe just for good looks?  It always amazes me that people want to store $20k+ of guns in a $1k safe. Dont you think that is a little lop sided? Now if you just want your kids safe i understand, but do not think that will stop someone that knows what they are doing.

I was in this situation a few months ago and searched high and low and were recommended by a few people to check out SturdySafe. Check them out at www.sturdysafe.com  These guys have been building these custom safes for years. First of all they use 7 gauge steel. To see the difference go and check out some of the videos and pictures they have of safes that are broken into and you will see.

They repair safes for a lot of companies such as Browning etc etc and you should see how they make their safes. My best friend and I purchased two safes from them and all i can say is wow. If someone brakes into these suckers they deserve what they get inside.

Also they provide fire protection much more than those other guys. The UL rating that some of those guys get are jokes. You know what Browning/Champion etc use for fire protection? Fire retardant sheet rock. That is it.

The guys at SturdySafe use 3" of ceramic and wool. They have videos and pictures of their safes being burned inside a house with everything still inside. I would highly recommend them.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:20:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Has any one heard of Yukon Gold safes?
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:30:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I hate to break it to the guys that think Liberty/Browning/Champion etc etc are great safes. Yes they will deter the simple thief but that is about it. Look at the specs of your safe and i will guaranty you that they are made of 12 or at best 10gauge metal. That is crap.

Give me a fire axe and i will tear into a 12gauge steel in less than 60seconds.  Do you think jewelers spend $10K on a small safe just for good looks?  It always amazes me that people want to store $20k+ of guns in a $1k safe. Dont you think that is a little lop sided? Now if you just want your kids safe i understand, but do not think that will stop someone that knows what they are doing.

I was in this situation a few months ago and searched high and low and were recommended by a few people to check out SturdySafe. Check them out at www.sturdysafe.com  These guys have been building these custom safes for years. First of all they use 7 gauge steel. To see the difference go and check out some of the videos and pictures they have of safes that are broken into and you will see.

They repair safes for a lot of companies such as Browning etc etc and you should see how they make their safes. My best friend and I purchased two safes from them and all i can say is wow. If someone brakes into these suckers they deserve what they get inside.

Also they provide fire protection much more than those other guys. The UL rating that some of those guys get are jokes. You know what Browning/Champion etc use for fire protection? Fire retardant sheet rock. That is it.

The guys at SturdySafe use 3" of ceramic and wool. They have videos and pictures of their safes being burned inside a house with everything still inside. I would highly recommend them.

Tradtional Gun safes are not designed to keep out professional safe crackers.  They're designed to keep out smash and grab hoodlems and theaves looking for a quick buck.  Anyone with a torch and plenty of time could get in one.  But I think you'll find you'll need more than a minute to get the job done.

As far as fire protection, you have a point.  Most vaults even in the $2K range are only rated to class II (30 min @ 1200 degrees F).  But if theory holds true something that heavy will fall to the lowest floor where the fire will be coolest rather quickly.  But if fire is something that worries you most, many companies such as Heritage offer safes rated as high as class IV (75 min @ 1200 degrees) but they can reach in upward of $5K and above.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 10:58:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Check out www.sturdysafe.com

I got one from them and couldn't be happier with the construction and value

Read all the info on the site, you'll learn alot about what to look for in a safe.  Then you'll buy a Sturdy!

They're not all sexy looking like some of the Brownings, so if it's going to be on display in your dining room that's something to consider.   Mine is in a closet so I could care less what it looks like.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 11:03:29 AM EDT
[#21]
I got a 36 gun wide body safe from cablas for like $1000. Fire proof  Its nice  I used my points and only ended up paying 500   It is made by cannon I belive
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:34:46 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tradtional Gun safes are not designed to keep out professional safe crackers.  They're designed to keep out smash and grab hoodlems and theaves looking for a quick buck.  Anyone with a torch and plenty of time could get in one.  But I think you'll find you'll need more than a minute to get the job done.

As far as fire protection, you have a point.  Most vaults even in the $2K range are only rated to class II (30 min @ 1200 degrees F).  But if theory holds true something that heavy will fall to the lowest floor where the fire will be coolest rather quickly.  But if fire is something that worries you most, many companies such as Heritage offer safes rated as high as class IV (75 min @ 1200 degrees) but they can reach in upward of $5K and above.

You are absolutely right as far as smash and grab goes. Any safe can be broken into given enough time and skill. But as i mentioned go to www.sturdysafe.com and you will see pictures and video on how quick a 12gauge can be broken into. You will be amazed in what can be accomplished in 60seconds.

And who the heck hauls a 1000lb safe upstairs anyways? Most safes are on the first floor and in florida we have no basement so with a fire, my safe isnt going anywhere:)
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:38:48 PM EDT
[#23]
My opinion is if you live in an area where you really think you need a safe of such quality that cost $10k I'd probably just move instead of living in crackville.

Home guns safes are to keep the quick smash and grab burgler from seeing 10 guns in the closet and taking them to the local pawn shop...not the professional theif who does an art job one week and a $250k gun job the next.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 3:56:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Holy cow, where are some of you buying your safes? If you forgo the fancy paint and do-dads, you can get a good fire rated safe that will hold 30 rifles for under a grand. Don't buy the metalflake paint and elk dioramas, just buy a safe.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:20:35 PM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:35:31 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
My opinion is if you live in an area where you really think you need a safe of such quality that cost $10k I'd probably just move instead of living in crackville.

Home guns safes are to keep the quick smash and grab burgler from seeing 10 guns in the closet and taking them to the local pawn shop...not the professional theif who does an art job one week and a $250k gun job the next.

I hate to surprise you buddy but you got it backwards. Do you think thieves go in to crack houses for the big loot? The biggest robberies small time or big time occur in the nice neighborhoods because that is where all the nice stuff hides:)

Again for the people that are not listening, it takes 60seconds with a simple axe to get in a 12 gauge steel safe. No codes, no fire torch needed. And no you dont need to spend $10K for a safe. Its amazing that i see the same guys that drop $1500 on one single scope complain about spending $2k on a good, heavy 7gauge steel safe that houses $20K + worth of stuff. Maybe its me buts seems a little backwards to me.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top