Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2004 10:23:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/26/2004 10:30:09 AM EDT by Monty0124]
Hey all,

sorry for the noob question but here goes....

I currently have a colt A2 20" HBAR that I carry on duty with me. I'm county so I went with the 20" for rural settings. I've now been reassigned to a metro area and have found myself in the position of clearing buildings with my A2. Don't get me wrong, I can get it done, I'm just tired of humping that heavy bugger around. It currently has a rail system and a Surefire 972 out front...gets a little old..

Can I get a smaller upper and use it on the A2 lower? I'd like to keep the A2 stock as I'm 6'5 and even with my armor on I have no trouble getting a nose to charging handle sight picture. I don't know if this is possible, but what I envision is having two uppers with me - the original 20" HBAR and some type of shorty tac upper so I can switch the two out as the mission requires...

Unfortunately, due to department policy, I'm limited to either Colt or Armalite...nothing else. Has to be iron sights, no optics. First, can I do this with, say, an M4 upper? If it is possible to swap uppers out like that can you guys recommend and upper to use? For what its worth I've been thinking either M4 or A3 tactical for the upper....


Edit: I'm assuming that an upper would be complete with barrel, handguards etc....is that a correct assumption?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:31:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/26/2004 10:34:17 AM EDT by YardDogOne]
Changing the upper would work fine.

6920 (M4-16"barrel) 6721 (M4-14.5"barrel) or 6721 (A3 Tactical Carbine 16" barrel) just pull the front and rear pins th remove and replace

Yes you can get them as a complete unit, with or without Bolt carrier, Bolt, Charging handle
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:31:14 PM EDT
Thanks YardDog,

appreciatel the reply.

one last question....is it possible to get a factory Colt upper?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:16:21 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:29:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Monty0124:

one last question....is it possible to get a factory Colt upper?

Yes look here they have lots, or call them, they are very helpful

Specialized Armament
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:13:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Chuck:
If this is a department weapon you can use a 14.5" M4 barrel and just screw on the Vortex; if it's yours you'll have to have it silver soldered on the muzzle to get the barrel out to the required 16" NFA length.

-- Chuck

If it's a NFA registered lower then he can use a 14.5" barrel. A department can not just put a short barrel on any rifle they want, they must still comply with NFA regulations.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:13:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/28/2004 5:13:43 PM EDT by mongo001]

Originally Posted By Chuck:
I doubt your department has a clue what a Colt or ArmaLite upper looks like compared to any other. But if you have a Colt's large takedown pin lower you're stuck with Colt's parts.

If you trust having an adapter pin in your rifle, and I don't see why you wouldn't, you can put small pin uppers on large pin lowers and vice versa which would open to door to all the other aftermarket equipment out there.
Top Top