Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2004 8:26:59 PM EDT
Well,

I broke down and got one of these new fangled modern guns (Colt 6920) that feeds itself from the bottom without me having to work a mechanical device (bolt).

First off, I am a lefty, so I would like to have an ambi safety, but, I can't get the old one to budge. So, just how hard is this supposed to be? I don't want to go banging on it without being sure. To me it just looks like a press fit through the reciever. What am I missing, if anything?

A question about uppers. It seems that it will be a little hard to get a Colt upper for a while. So, I need to get a 1 in 9 twist upper for the main purpose of this gun, 'yotes. Does it matter what manufacturer I get the upper from. I have read about Colt using different pin sizes, that doesn't include the takedown pin and pivot pin, does it. Hey, I said I was new to these things, the only way to learn is to ask.

In the meantime, I am reading this forum like crazy trying to absorb information. There is a lot to learn about these guns.

I can tell you one thing for sure, a Bushmaster ambi safety will not work on an AR180B. And, it is held in with a spring in a groove on the inside left hand side of the reciever.

TIA for any help

bob

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:40:06 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

First off, I am a lefty, so I would like to have an ambi safety, but, I can't get the old one to budge. So, just how hard is this supposed to be? I don't want to go banging on it without being sure. To me it just looks like a press fit through the reciever. What am I missing, if anything?

You will need to remove the pistol grip in order for the safety to remove.  There is a detent pin that needs to come out.   I shoot left handed (sometimes right handed too) and I prefer just using my index finger to flick the safety.  Its not that big of a deal if you just practice it.

A question about uppers. It seems that it will be a little hard to get a Colt upper for a while. So, I need to get a 1 in 9 twist upper for the main purpose of this gun, 'yotes. Does it matter what manufacturer I get the upper from. I have read about Colt using different pin sizes, that doesn't include the takedown pin and pivot pin, does it. Hey, I said I was new to these things, the only way to learn is to ask.

Just get Bushmaster or have ADCO, or CMMG build you one.  I believe the 6920 uses standard pin sizes.

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:03:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Jason,

The safety was a snap once I knew what to do.

bob
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:03:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Well,

I broke down and got one of these new fangled modern guns (Colt 6920) that feeds itself from the bottom without me having to work a mechanical device (bolt).

Welcome to 'tha club'  

You must be alittle smarter than the average Montana bear to nab one of the most highly sought after Colts to hit the markets in a decade.

Enjoy your 'new fangled' gun
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:12:40 PM EDT
[#4]

You will need to remove the pistol grip in order for the safety to remove. There is a detent pin that needs to come out. I shoot left handed (sometimes right handed too) and I prefer just using my index finger to flick the safety. Its not that big of a deal if you just practice it.

I know what you mean, I don't have an ambi safety on my carry gun, 1911, and my index finger works just fine.

bob
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top