Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2003 4:52:35 PM EDT
There has been some false reporting of XM193 being sealed in the newer lots. As you can see from these pics - it is not sealed at the primer or neck.

Those of you considering long term storage ammo may want to look elsewhere.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:22:34 PM EDT
[#1]
More than the sealing is gone.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:09:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
More than the sealing is gone.
View Quote

Pic host went down - back up now.

Sorry for the great red X photos [:D]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 12:12:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Interesting. The newest Fed XM193 that I purchased was a couple months ago or less from Natchez. It was Lot 13 and was sealed at the case mouth and primer. I recall Federal shipping out a batch at least once before (Lot 6 or 7?) that was also without sealant on the mouth. So, what's up with Federal anyway? I guess this inconsistent usage of sealant means we might want to look at Winchester Q3131A if we care about long term storage. It has less muzzle flash also. I have never heard of these sort of problems with the Winchester load, which is usually what I buy anyway. I bought the Lot 13 Federal only because of the excellent deal Natchez had going. Glad I got ammo with sealant.

Has anyone else with Lot 22 had this problem? The next question is to determine if this is only isolated or whether the entire lot lacks the sealant.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 12:52:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 2:37:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those of you considering long term storage ammo may want to look elsewhere.
View Quote

Just to be clear, ammo does not have to be sealed to store well.
View Quote

I've shot a fair amount of 1940s .45 acp and 30-06 that had been stored by putting it on a floor somewhere for 50 years. (In the original wooden crates)Yes, 1 in 5 of the cases was so green that you needed to toss it but the rest still went bang. - This is why I like sealed ammo.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:37:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I have some lot 25 with no sealant.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:50:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I have some lot 20. It appears to me to have sealant on the primers and necks.I usually buy Q3131 but tried some 193 because everyone here said it was THE ammo.I think hit and miss sealant is lame.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 8:06:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Sealed or not it's great stuff.  99.9% or this stuff bought and sold will be shot looooooooooong before it ever goes bad due to the lack of sealant on any part of the components I'm sure.  I doubt there will be a box of LOT 1 out there 60 years from now for someone to buy and shoot anyhow!
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 8:14:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I would buy it sealed or not.  There ain't too many fat bodies on this sight conducting amphibious ops!
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 8:58:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would buy it sealed or not.  There ain't too many fat bodies on this sight conducting amphibious ops!
View Quote

Hey!!! I resemble that remark. [:P]

CHRIS
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 9:36:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm not too worried about it. The stuff I keep for self defense is stored on stripper clips and put in zip lock bags and kept in ammo cans. Here in Orygun the ammo can will rust to dust before the ammo goes bad. Then I know it's time to rotate ammo.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:18:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Hey!!! I resemble that remark. [:P]

CHRIS
View Quote

Yup, me too.[:D]

Unfortunately I (after reading about 1000 threads here) expected the newer lots of XM193 to be sealed. I also expected it to be hot stuff...

I'm going to take it out to the range before the end of the month and run some comparisons between it and Winchester Q3131A/whitebox R1, Barnaul silver/brown, Wolf  55/62, SA, UMC and whatever other inexpensive ammo I can lay my hands on.

I think I'll title the thread, "You know as much about good ammo as you know about me." [:D]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 4:04:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

[lol] So true!
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 11:16:25 PM EDT
[#14]
          ::::UPDATE::::                   from the "Red Star State of Minnesota"

I just picked up 3 cases of XM193 today at Sportsmans whse they sre lot 29 and they are sealed.....I still would have bought it anyway,
why buy russian when you can buy American!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 1:51:52 AM EDT
[#15]
how exactly do you pull a bullet from the casing? pliars?
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 2:07:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
how exactly do you pull a bullet from the casing? pliars?
View Quote

A bullet puller, silly.

[img]http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/product_images/203/64836.jpg[/img]

CHRIS
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:35:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
          ::::UPDATE::::                   from the "Red Star State of Minnesota"

I just picked up 3 cases of XM193 today at Sportsmans whse they sre lot 29 and they are sealed.....I still would have bought it anyway,
why buy russian when you can buy American!!!!!!
View Quote

I just got a order in from Sportmans Guide lot #29 an it is also sealed. I posted this on Sportmanns Guide XM193 thread and someone posted below me that lot #30 was not sealed.  So it looks like some is and some is not. What's up with Federal? I would think that they would run down the same line and seal all or none or is this what triggers lot # changes?
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:16:35 AM EDT
[#18]
All my stash of XM193 is Lot 1 and is sealed.
I do, however have 5 boxes of Lot 10...it is not sealed!

So, that makes it Lot 6,7,10,22 - how many more?

I agree, it still shoots great, but why aren't they sealing all Lots?

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Ok, here's a real head scratcher.

[IMG]http://users.adelphia.net/~ctumail/193box.JPG[/IMG]
LOT 23, none of the necks are sealed

Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#20]

What exactly is the sealant made of?  If you reload how hard would it be to apply this sealant yourself?
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:21:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What exactly is the sealant made of?  If you reload how hard would it be to apply this sealant yourself?
View Quote

This link discusses it.
[url]http://www.logicsouth.com/~lcoble/dir5/sealit.txt[/url]

Looks like a pain in the tail.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top