Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2004 8:03:07 PM EDT
Hi all,

First off, awesome board.  I've gotten more information than I know what to do with...

I tried running a search, but couldn't find anything that seemed to answer this question.  So here goes.  Sorry if this has been covered a couple thousand times already.

I am planning to build out an AR as my newest project.  I am ordering the stripped receiver tomorrow morning, and then order a Model1 kit in about a month or so (after a credit cards gets paid down a little...).  I have been looking at the model1 kits and think that I will go with a "pre-ban" (well, no-ban ) CAR configuration.  I plan to add lots of toys in the future and would like to eventually go with something like a predator handguard.  I think that's a free float handguard.  Correct?  

If the predator is a free float, is it worth the extra $50ish bucks and get the aluminum free float now, when I first order the kit?

I guess the basic question (after all my rambling) is this: how hard is it to change the standard CAR handguard over to a free float for the addition of a predator, etc.

Thanks in advance.

- Ryan
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:18:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I think that the Alum Free Float will be a regular tube, not the Predator.  The predator runs for a little over $200 for just the rail.  A good alternative would be the YHM light weight rail.  You can get them from one of the Industry partners or site dealers for $50 less than model1.  I just sent off for a rifle Lent from BrightFlashlights.  

They can be difficult to install and you will need some more tools as you have to remove the barrel and front sight base to install.  Use the search to find threads on installing free float tubes and FSB removal.  You can also check the Hometown forums for WA and see if you can find someone locally who might be willing to help you out.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:26:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Step by step on installing a float tube:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=201469

Read, read, read!  Make informed decisions.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:34:56 PM EDT
[#3]
you might want to consider that fact that if you have a metal or alluminum handgard...they will get hot during rapid fire, hehe.. .. know from experience..i still have to use a glove in the wintertime on that pig, hehe
my buddy has a free float kt that has original looking a2 style hangards...works nice
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:47:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys.  Looks pretty simple.  

brushdog: sorry if I wasn't clear.  I meant that I was thinking to get the kit now with the alum. FF and then change over to a predator later...  I think that I'll look more towards the YHM and likes.

FALARAK:  Yes!! that's exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks!!

Looks like regardless that I will have to pull the front site when I do this.  Doesn't look too bad, I will just need to get a couple new tools...

hmmm... lots to think about.  Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of difference in getting FF to start, or changing over later...

- Ryan
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top