Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2003 8:33:11 PM EDT
Just got done building my first AR.  Don't know why so many say buy your first, because it went together with only small hitches (takedown and pivot pin springs were too long, had to cut a few coils off, after accidentally shooting the pin across the room and under a desk.)

Ok, I have a few questions though.  First, is there anything else I need to do (other than shoot it?)  I've done a functions check and everything does what it should, and I CLPd pretty much everything that moved.

Second, I don't have a stock wrench for the M4 type stock on my rifle.  Is there some alternative way to tighten up the nut?  I'd just go at it with a punch, but I don't want to mess it up.

Finally, the rear takedown pin seems extremely tight (had to tap it with a hammer to get it into place with the upper installed.)  I clipped off a couple loops of the retaining pin spring and this helped, but I'm afraid of cutting it too short.  Does it just need to 'wear in' a bit, or should I cut the spring some more?

Thanks,

J
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 8:46:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I used a pair of channel locks, with taped up jaws to tighten my CAR stock.  I haven't been able to fire it yet, as I'm still saving for my upper, but it seems pretty tight.

Hershey
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 11:07:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Proper tools for the proper job....or you can end up with a mess trying to take a few dollar short CUT like you did with the takedown and pivot pin springs.. man all it took was a few dollar part to properly install those and you could have installed the take down pin buy putting on your buttstock last...fyi i think you may have problems at the range according to your mistakes you have made so far.....who knows what else you have done ..DID YOU MAKE YOUR UPPER ? IF SO I HAVE $20 ON IT THAT IT WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY [BLUE]MAKE THAT $100[/BLUE] ..I E NOT TIGHT ENOGH BARREL NUT ETC. PROBLEMS FOR THE FUTURE I FOR SEE..

spentshellz
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 11:14:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
[RED]I used a pair of channel locks,[/RED] with taped up jaws to tighten my CAR stock.  I haven't been able to fire it yet, as I'm still saving for my upper, but it seems pretty tight.

Hershey
View Quote

[ROFL2] SORRY DUDE BUT THATS GHETTO
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 11:23:02 PM EDT
[#4]
hey I understand, got to make do with what you have [booze]
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 11:37:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess people making there OWN GUNS are expecting to make it with nothing.....i dont think thats the real point of doing it your self but i could be wrong....he he he[pound]

I think this just may be the quote of the year ^
hey IDEA we sould make QUOTES of the year "or month " just to see whose on top of things.....or mabye just from a humorious stand point?
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 12:12:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I think you misunderstand.   For the pivot pin, the detent pin and spring together were too long or the hole was too shallow.  When the spring was fully compressed, the detent pin protruded too much to even get the pivit pin into the hole.  

As for the takedown pin, I did install it last, before putting on the buttstock.  Geez, what do you think I am? I'm not some kind of fucking moron, and I loathe anyone who would treat me as such.  THE SPRINGS WERE TOO LONG.  Do a search and you'll discover that others have had this happen with their kits and have clipped the springs to allow them to fit properly.

And for the stock wrench, I was simply hoping someone would have a quick solution so I could go out and play tomorrow rather than wait a week for the tool.  Others have had solutions for some of the other 'required' tools, such as using a $.50 cotter pin from the hardware store instead of the $4 pivot pin detent tool. Can you blame me for wanting to get out and shoot the damn thing ASAP?  Apparently you can.  

J

EDIT/UPDATE:  After seperating upper and lower receiver, I found the rear takedown pin to move freely between open and closed, locking securely at both the fully open and fully closed positions.  I inspected the upper lug, and fitted it to the lower receiver.  The holes don't quite line up unless quite a bit of pressure is applied.  So, I'd say I just have a tight upper to lower match that will probably loosen up after some shooting.  Correct?
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 8:08:02 AM EDT
[#7]
This is exactly why I stay away from parts kits.You never know what kind of shit parts they'll give you.You might want to order a quality parts kit sometime down the road.As for tightening up the stock ring, go ahead and use a punch an hammer.I built 2 lowers w/o the M4 stock wrench and hand tightening it and then tapping with a punch tightened it just fine.Your rear takedown pin should loosen after awhile.Mine's still tight and just use the nose of a bullet to push it.Good luck with your build.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 8:10:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I had the same thing happen on the upper to lower fit on 2 ARs. I was told they will wear in. Had to use a brass punch and tap with delron hammer to start removal of rear takedown pin. Now I still use brass punch but I just push by hand after about 8 range sessions.

Necessity is the mother of all inventions. I know what you mean about the tools. If you bought everything you need with all the AR options you would spend over $300.

A major AR manufacturer told me they use vise grips modified with a dremel tool to remove and install the gas tube. Said their gunsmiths have better luck than with the gas tube removal tool.

If you come up with a cool idea and a better way please share it with others.

Good luck and after range session post on how it shoots.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 8:29:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think you misunderstand.   For the pivot pin, the detent pin and spring together were too long or the hole was too shallow.  When the spring was fully compressed, the detent pin protruded too much to even get the pivit pin into the hole.  

EDIT/UPDATE:  After seperating upper and lower receiver, I found the rear takedown pin to move freely between open and closed, locking securely at both the fully open and fully closed positions.  I inspected the upper lug, and fitted it to the lower receiver.  The holes don't quite line up unless quite a bit of pressure is applied.  So, I'd say I just have a tight upper to lower match that will probably loosen up after some shooting.  Correct?
View Quote

it shouldnt be a problem having to trim off some of the spring. the spring and detent are there to keep the pin from falling out. as long as it dosent move when you are shooting you should be good.

it is normal to have to apply pressure to the upper to get the take down pin in. this is a good thing! its good to have a tight fit. and yes it will loosen up after a little bit of shooting.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 8:30:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quality parts:::::another key in success. If you use bad or cheap parts you will just end up spending more in the end buy replacing them...I dont know if id use a punch near threads on a non colapsable sound like it will wnd up scrap..

spentshellz
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 8:54:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just got done building my first AR.  Don't know why so many say buy your first, because it went together with only small hitches (takedown and pivot pin springs were too long, had to cut a few coils off, after accidentally shooting the pin across the room and under a desk.)

Finally, the rear takedown pin seems extremely tight (had to tap it with a hammer to get it into place with the upper installed.)  I clipped off a couple loops of the retaining pin spring and this helped, but I'm afraid of cutting it too short.  Does it just need to 'wear in' a bit, or should I cut the spring some more?

Thanks,

J
View Quote

Been there and done that with the pivot pin springs. A Gunshow parts kit had to cut the springs to get it to work, launched a detent pin or 2 myself (never found one to this day). Shoot the rifle some and the rear pin may loosen up, I can push them in on two new builds, but have to give them a love tap to get them loose.

Danny
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 10:55:11 AM EDT
[#12]
You might have had build up from the finishing inside the holes for your springs. I twisted a drill bit by hand down the hole to break up any junk hiding in there, which could cause the spring to not go all the way down. Even if the pin is tight, after a little use, it will be just fine.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 11:14:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Necessity is the mother of all inventions. I know what you mean about the tools. If you bought everything you need with all the AR options you would spend over $300.

A major AR manufacturer told me they use vise grips modified with a dremel tool to remove and install the gas tube. Said their gunsmiths have better luck than with the gas tube removal tool.
View Quote

Wheelgunner, you must be almost as ghetto as I am.  Actually I believe I got the "padded" channel lock idea from someone here Spentshellz. I mean it's not like head spacing the barrel or anything.  It's just tightening the stock and he asked
Second, I don't have a stock wrench for the M4 type stock on my rifle.  Is there some alternative way to tighten up the nut?  I'd just go at it with a punch, but I don't want to mess it up
View Quote

I think I gave him another way to tighten the nut as he asked.

It's not ghetto, it's ingenious [:)]

adapt, improvise, overcome, and all that

Hershey
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 11:24:58 AM EDT
[#14]
I found the hammer/punch better than the channel lock idea for the car stock. I just wrapped it in a towel from Goodwill, then put in a vise from Salvation Army. Came right off. With a few $$$ left to get SpentShellz some new Crayons from the Mall for Kindergarten. PEAX
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 1:30:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Hershey,

[b]Wheelgunner, you must be almost as ghetto as I am. Actually I believe I got the "padded" channel lock idea from someone here Spentshellz. I mean it's not like head spacing the barrel or anything. It's just tightening the stock and he asked[/b]

You can take the boy outa the ghetto but can't take the ghetto outa the boy![booze]

I wish I could afford to purchase all the nice tools available, but alas, I still live in a decent working class ghetto.[:D]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top