Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2006 9:33:56 PM EDT
I know this sounds stupid but I just bought a new RRA stripped lower and when I got home I was  playing around with it as my parts kits isn't here yet.  I took a hogue grip off of my other AR and tried to put in on the new RRA lower.  Nope!!!  I used the screw that came with the other AR, a bushmaster, but it wouldn't screw all the way in.  Whats wrong?  The screw of all things shouldn't be out of spec or anything crazy like that.  I figured that they would be interchangable but....

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:44:44 PM EDT
[#1]
is the lower's hole in spec? can you compare it to your bushy?

so the screw fits, but it wont go in all the way, correct?

you probably arnt, you arnt cross threading it, are you? i did that once....

did you try just screwing on the screw w/ out the grip to see if its the lower's threads that might be outta spec?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:50:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Hit it with a tap. 1/4-28
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:59:24 PM EDT
[#3]
yes, the screw fits but not all the way.  On my bushy it goes almost all the way in(maybe 1/8" sticks out) On the RRA more like 1/2" sticks out.  I am afraid to try to turn it with too much torque to force it.

What is cross threading?

The hole goes all the way through and appears to be straight.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:20:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

What is cross threading?

basically you put the screw in crooked and turned the screw with the threads improperly aligned.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:28:40 PM EDT
[#5]
With the screw going that far in, I don't think that's the problem

Man...I'm so disappointed...problems already...ahhhhhhhh
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:40:08 PM EDT
[#6]
i still say hit it with a tap
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:50:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Is that something the place I bought it from can do?
I bought it locally just in case something wierd happened...lucky me.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:51:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

did you try just screwing on the screw w/ out the grip to see if its the lower's threads that might be outta spec?

arnt WTF is that
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:04:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that something the place I bought it from can do?
I bought it locally just in case something wierd happened...lucky me.

yes, or you can do it if you have taps. Easy job
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:55:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Look and see how deep the threads go compared to your BM lower receiver. It might be that the anodizing is making the threads a bit tighter further down. Personally I think your options are:

1) Buy the necessary tap and clean up the threads your self. If your unsure how to do this then……….
2) Have a gun smith tap the hole.
3) Take your BM grip screw to the hardware store and buy a shorter screw for your RRA.
4) Return the receiver to the dealer where you purchased it and have them deal with it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:01:11 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I know this sounds stupid but I just bought a new RRA stripped lower and when I got home I was  playing around with it as my parts kits isn't here yet.  I took a hogue grip off of my other AR and tried to put in on the new RRA lower.  Nope!!!  I used the screw that came with the other AR, a bushmaster, but it wouldn't screw all the way in.  Whats wrong?  The screw of all things shouldn't be out of spec or anything crazy like that.  I figured that they would be interchangable but....

Any suggestions?

I have had many RRA lowers that weren't tapped all the way through.  As several have suggested, buy a tap and finish the job.  Use cutting oil.  If you don't want to attempt it, return it to the factory.  It isn't the dealers problem, he didn't short tap it the factory did.  It has Rock River Arms on the side of the lower.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:25:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Get a shorter screw.

rj
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:33:46 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I took a hogue grip off of my other AR and tried to put in on the new RRA lower.  I used the screw that came with the other AR, a bushmaster, but it wouldn't screw all the way in.

Any suggestions?

If you have about 7+ threads engaging in your lower, with the grip attached, you could shorten the screw with a hacksaw and file.  Assemble with all the parts, and use BLUE LokTite to hold it in place.

If it works, you saved yourself the trouble of buying and using a tap (my second choice) or returning it for another lower (my last choice...because, from my experience, has been a REAL hassle...every single time).
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:36:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Has anyone stripped the drip screw?  What can be done to fix it?  I always worry about that kind of stuff.

Bryan
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:28:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:12:09 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Has anyone stripped the grip screw?  What can be done to fix it?  I always worry about that kind of stuff.

Bryan

You will strip the threads inside the receiver first before you put a scratch on the grip screw threads (the aluminum lower is soft compared to the steel grip screw).

I realize that, I guess I should have been more specific.  I was worried about stripping the lower.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:41:02 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

arnt WTF is that

i guess i have to actually spell it out, correctly

'arnt'= aren't= are not

+1 on the shorter screw option

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:16:20 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Get a shorter screw.

rj

While shortening you screw will work, a job should always be done properly.  If you are in the field in combat situations, do whatever required to get your rifle operating.  Otherwise do it the right way.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:28:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Get a Tap.  They are cheap here.

www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/handthrdtaps.php

Andrew
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:10:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

1) Buy the necessary tap and clean up the threads your self. If your unsure how to do this then……….

3) Take your BM grip screw to the hardware store and buy a shorter screw for your RRA.

These are an EXTREMELY easy way of fixing the problem yourself. You should be able to accomplish this by yourself if you can remove a grip.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:38:40 PM EDT
[#21]
The simplest way is to just stack up flat washers under the screw head IF you have the washers on hand.  This method will bring howls of laughter down on my head but it will work just fine and will allow you to fine tune the depth of thread engagement to get the maximum available.

If you don't have the correct size washers on hand then you can buy a screw or a tap at the hdw store instead of going to the hdw store to buy washers

Isn't it aggravating when things don't work right ?

rj
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, I finally just went and bought a tap....how handy.  I now have a fully functional grip screw.

Thanks for all of the help.

And yes, it is aggravating as hell when simple things mess up.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:43:18 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Has anyone stripped the grip screw?  What can be done to fix it?  I always worry about that kind of stuff.

Bryan

You will strip the threads inside the receiver first before you put a scratch on the grip screw threads (the aluminum lower is soft compared to the steel grip screw).

I realize that, I guess I should have been more specific.  I was worried about stripping the lower.

To fix it: install a helicoil or rossane insert.  Helicoil is preferred, and is more difficult to install.  Rossane insert is hammered in the old hole and spreads when a bolt is put in.  Two other methods exist, but I do not remember the names right now.  I prefer helicoil repairs: sturdy, no more steel to aluminum nonsense.  Helicoils are steel; so, it is steel on steel.  Many aircraft jugs and casings have been saved with a helicoil.  I have no idea if I spelled either helicoil or rossane correctly.

If you want the Tarzan repair:
Of course, you are talking about repairing a $110+ part.  The screw only holds a grip in place, which in turn holds the selector detent and spring in place.  You could always take some PC-9 or Devcon Steel Putty and epoxy the grip in place.  I doubt that it would ever come off, unless broken.  The grip screw is already stripped: how much worse can the lower be ruined?

I like the washer idea.

I wonder how many of these RRA lowers got out.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top