Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2014 11:38:43 AM EDT
I got a Bushmaster from Dad and I bought some D&H 30 rd mags and the first rd will not chamber using the bolt release. Do I need to download the mags by 2 rds or let them sit loaded for a few weeks? The rifle worked fine once a rd was chambered. Any suggestions? It is not a M-4 chamber. Jeff
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 11:43:01 AM EDT
[#1]
28 would help. also try oiling the mag a bit.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 12:28:02 PM EDT
[#2]
This issue was one reason I went to a a Wolff XP action spring.

Nothing like bailing out on a felony vehicle stop, jacking the charging handle and.....NOTHING!

In addition I no longer load thirty rounds, I load 28

It's far better to have 28 that will chamber than 30 where they won't come out
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 2:06:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I got a Bushmaster from Dad and I bought some D&H 30 rd mags and the first rd will not chamber using the bolt release. Do I need to download the mags by 2 rds or let them sit loaded for a few weeks? The rifle worked fine once a rd was chambered. Any suggestions? It is not a M-4 chamber. Jeff
View Quote

One of the first things I do when I have a malfunction with any gun is try a different magazine. I pretty much stick the Lancer L5 AWMs and the X Products 50 Rd drums depending on my application.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 2:48:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Load to 28, no need for oiling the mag it collects dirt and use the charging handle it gives you more spring pressure for the bolt to go forward.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 3:51:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Be sure you aren't loading 31.   D&H are my go-to mags and I have no problems with 30rnds either chambering or seating a mag.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 4:56:41 PM EDT
[#6]
D&H is good to go in my experience.  I always, regardless of the magazine only load 28.  Also ensure your BCG is properly lubed.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 9:22:19 PM EDT
[#7]
30 round mags should be loaded to full capacity.  For those who dowload to 28, get better mags because those are out of spec.  How can you trust your mags if you don't trust the design of a 30 round mag?
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 5:43:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
30 round mags should be loaded to full capacity.  For those who dowload to 28, get better mags because those are out of spec.  How can you trust your mags if you don't trust the design of a 30 round mag?
View Quote

This procedure dates to Vietnam, because fully loaded mags exhibited this very problem mentioned above, troops were instructed to load only 28 rounds.

Being that I might need my carbine in a SHTF scenario, I load 28! YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 8:32:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is by far easier to insert a magazine loaded with 28 rounds into a rifle when the BCG is home compared to 30 rounds.  Nothing wrong with my mags, just my preference and personal experience.
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 5:25:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 5:42:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It is by far easier to insert a magazine loaded with 28 rounds into a rifle when the BCG is home compared to 30 rounds.  Nothing wrong with my mags, just my preference and personal experience.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. It's not an issue of what the mag will hold, how it will feed etc...the issue is inserting a full magazine into a gun with the bolt forward on a live round. It is unquestionably easier to do so by loading 28 rounds vice 30- regardless of who made the magazine.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 9:04:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I guess I'll chime in and say this: if you cant get it to work with 30 rounds in a 30 round magazine, I would say it's pretty obvious that it's junk

Buy something that works with 30 rounds in it

View Quote

The truth... This man speaks it...
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 9:40:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Loading 28 rounds into a 30 round magazine is a common practice if you are going into harms way.

It's policy for the Kansas City Missouri Police Department among other large L.E. Agencies.

ALL of my magazines have 28 rounds in them.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 9:06:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Spent 7 months in Afghanistan, all 8 mags loaded to 30. Never, had a problem feeding, every round went bang. They are 30 round mags, not 28 round mags

If you are having trouble seating a full mag with the bolt forward, you need to open a can of man.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 6:36:59 AM EDT
[#15]
I have NO problem inserting a full (30rds) into the rifle, I have a problem CHAMBERING the first rd. Once it is chambered the rest of the 30 rds are fine..I got Adventure Line mags with the rifle and they are fine, I bought D&H mags and these are the ones that I have problems with.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 9:46:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have NO problem inserting a full (30rds) into the rifle, I have a problem CHAMBERING the first rd. Once it is chambered the rest of the 30 rds are fine..I got Adventure Line mags with the rifle and they are fine, I bought D&H mags and these are the ones that I have problems with.
View Quote

run your finger under the feedlips to see if they're sharp. There might be just enough of an edge to cause friction, and it will either wear with use, or you can hit it with some fine sandpaper to break the edge.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 7:57:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Agreed. It's not an issue of what the mag will hold, how it will feed etc...the issue is inserting a full magazine into a gun with the bolt forward on a live round. It is unquestionably easier to do so by loading 28 rounds vice 30- regardless of who made the magazine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

28 round magazines don't exist.  I don't even download my pistol mags.  28 or 30 rounds I don't even feel the difference with my mags, maybe I'm lucky.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 6:27:25 AM EDT
[#18]
You can do whatever you want.

BUT, it's a very bad feeling when it all goes bad and you go to jack a round into the chamber and all you get is a carrier 1/3 of the way forward.

In my case I think it was a combination of a weak action spring AND the fully loaded 30 rd. magazine.

BUT, from that point forward, ALL of my AR's have a Wolff XP Action spring AND all of my magazines are loaded to only 28 rounds.

And yes I was able to duplicate the malfunction on the range after the round wouldn't chamber on the car stop.

Since changing springs and loading only 28 rounds, ZERO failures to chamber
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 10:27:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Is there a possibility that the buffer spring is not strong enough? I took off the A2 stock and switched to Magpul CTR military complete stock ( with new buffer and spring). If this might be the case what do I do to fix it? Yes I know, switch back to factory stock and try it out.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 7:57:17 AM EDT
[#20]
De Burr the feed lips and round off the feed lip edge on the front of the mag. with a small file the.  Basically it removes just enough sharp stamp-cut metal edges so that the mag function smoothly. If you try to feed rounds off of a loaded mag.... you will see where they are hanging up.

http://www.sears.com/general-tools-swivel-head-deburring-tool/p-SPM11387215816

It is a simple thing to do. I do it to all of my metal mags.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 8:00:59 AM EDT
[#21]
+1 on the suggestion to run 28 rounds in you mag. We get issued 28 per mag at work and have to carry 28 per policy.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 12:04:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
+1 on the suggestion to run 28 rounds in you mag. We get issued 28 per mag at work and have to carry 28 per policy.
View Quote

Yeah, if I don't get it resolved in 28 rounds I either need to spend more time in practice or I need a shit load of back-up

Link Posted: 6/2/2014 9:13:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Load the mag to 30 and let it sit for a while...(a week or two loaded) also once loaded to 30 rds press on the top round several time as though you are attempting to load more.  This will help set the spring and such.  Also note...once loaded to 30 rounds you should be able to press the top round in a little (about the depth a 3/4 of a round deep).  

Link Posted: 6/2/2014 7:21:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Not to bash D&H mags as i have metric ton of them, but this is why PMags are my go to HD mags, I can load them to full capacity and they work perfect every time. I agree 28 in standard mags seems to be key.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 5:04:31 AM EDT
[#25]
For the guys that load 28 rounds. Why 28 and not 29?
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 6:24:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Be sure you aren't loading 31.   D&H are my go-to mags and I have no problems with 30rnds either chambering or seating a mag.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I guess I'll chime in and say this: if you cant get it to work with 30 rounds in a 30 round magazine, I would say it's pretty obvious that it's junk

Buy something that works with 30 rounds in it

View Quote

I agree with this!
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 6:10:30 PM EDT
[#28]
For a loaded magazine to seat easily with the bolt forward, it needs about a 1/2" of play in the stack.

That is, when loaded, if you push down on the top most round in the magazine you want to be able to push down about 1/2".

If you've got that, you are good to go.

That might end up being 28 or 29 or 30 rounds for that magazine/spring combo.

Know your equipment.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:49:34 PM EDT
[#29]
I fill all my mags to 28.  Old habits I guess.  

Quoted:
View Quote

It can help when checking your mags in a low light setting.  If your are unsure if you chambered a round you can remove the mag and feel the rounds on top.  Evenly filled mags last round should be on the left side of the mag.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 11:23:11 PM EDT
[#30]
don't care what kind of gun it is, mags are easier to seat under stress with bolt or slide closed if the mag is downloaded by 1 or 2 rounds.   Magpuls get around this issue it by having enough space in the mag to easily fit a 31st round.

But I know we are all tier 1 operators here with nothing to learn from vets who used these guns in combat.

BTW, the issue is more noticeable if using steel case ammo because there is less flex with steel cases and they can drag more when closing the bolt.

Link Posted: 6/14/2014 1:02:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It can help when checking your mags in a low light setting.  If your are unsure if you chambered a round you can remove the mag and feel the rounds on top.  Evenly filled mags last round should be on the left side of the mag.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A mag with an even number of rounds in it should have the top round on the right side.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 1:32:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

A mag with an even number of rounds in it should have the top round on the right side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Depends if you use the tan follower or a magpul follower.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top