Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2005 11:21:12 AM EDT
I have owned a couple of AR but that was a while back.   There were only a couple of choices for decent AR's, Colt and Bushmaster.  That seems to have changed.  I have looked at the pinned topics.  I can't find a list of quality ARs and ones to stay away from.  So my first question is which are the good manufacturers and which should I steer clear of?  I might buy the upper and lower seprate to get what I am looking for.  I see all a number of ads in the shotgun news.  Any help here would be appreciated.

Second question, does the Bushmaster xm15e2 have the Govt. profile barrel?   Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:27:29 AM EDT
[#1]
he is the ABCD's of AR15's

A-Armalite
B-Bushmaster
C-Colt
D-DPMS

thats all you need to know, period.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:29:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I like RRA. Good quality and good price.

Some don't like that the buffer tube is not milspec......it's something to take into consideration.

I'm sure you'll get a whole myriad of opinions and you'll probably still be wondering what to do after you've read them all.

Good luck!!

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:39:44 AM EDT
[#3]
+1 for RRA.

I would only own RRA, Stag, or Bushmaster.  My reasons are the price and quality.  There are others that are good quality, and reasonable price, but these are the ones I know, and have had no problems with any.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
+1 for RRA.

I would only own RRA, Stag, or Bushmaster.  My reasons are the price and quality.  There are others that are good quality, and reasonable price, but these are the ones I know, and have had no problems with any.

+2 for RRA.

Bushay also makes a great rifle. You won't be disappointed with either of them.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:43:29 AM EDT
[#5]
From a poll about a couple of months ago with about 491 votes here are the results.

Colt 39%

Bushmaster 30%

Rock River Arms 20%

CMMG 20%

Armalite 4%

My list in no particular order:

Armalite
Bushmaster
Colt
LMT
RRA
Stag Arms/ CMT

What you said about the choices of Colt and Bushmaster is true then and also now.

Poll thread link:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=237932&page=1
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:54:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Here is my list in order:

Colt
Stag Arms/Cmt
Bushmaster
LMT
RRA
Armalite
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:18:58 PM EDT
[#7]
HERE WE GO AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:22:38 PM EDT
[#8]
The ones I dont like.

Vul/Hess.
Oly.
Model 1 sales (parts gun)

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:46:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The ones I dont like.

Vulcan/Hesse.

Oly. <-----i have personally seen serious problems with this comp.
Model 1 sales (parts gun) not really that bad

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:46:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have owned a couple of AR but that was a while back.   There were only a couple of choices for decent AR's, Colt and Bushmaster.  That seems to have changed.  I have looked at the pinned topics.  I can't find a list of quality ARs and ones to stay away from.  So my first question is which are the good manufacturers and which should I steer clear of?  I might buy the upper and lower separate to get what I am looking for.  I see all a number of ads in the shotgun news.  Any help here would be appreciated.

Second question, does the Bushmaster xm15e2 have the Govt. profile barrel?   Thanks!

For a first AR, I would encourage a factory rifle.

The clear favorite today is the M4 style. All makers have a model like this, but it includes:

16" barrel, usually step profiled and light under the hand-guards (govt profiled)
collapsible stock
Flash hider (A2, or Phantom or Vortex being the better choices)
chrome  lining in chamber and barrel
1/7 twist (barrel) 1/9 second best

Best down:
Colt LE6920, or LE6721
Bushmaster A3 Patrolman's Carbine
RockRiverArms (Elite or Car15)

Avoid:
All A2 style (IMHO, it is just so 90's   )
Hesse
Olympic
or anything "post-ban" since there isn't a ban, and those are now just neutered guns

It will be your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th AR's will be specialized beauties, that look like they were dragged through the Equipment Exchange with a gear magnet....
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:50:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Off the rack Colt. Assemble yourself Bushmaster or RRA.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:02:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Only if you order it that way.  But they are available, and occasionally you can order your A2 or M4 barrel with a 1:7 twist.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:48:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys for the info,  esp. that link to the poll thread.   Sounds like any of the name brands will work.  I'm looking at a Bushmaster, it is an M4 clone type.  New at the shop, $870 plus tax.  It has the 14 and 1/2" barrel with the permently installed Izzy flash suppresor.  Seems like a good deal.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Thanks guys for the info,  esp. that link to the poll thread.   Sounds like any of the name brands will work.  I'm looking at a Bushmaster, it is an M4 clone type.  New at the shop, $870 plus tax.  It has the 14 and 1/2" barrel with the permently installed Izzy flash suppresor.  Seems like a good deal.  

They are selling that configuration Bushmaster from this site (Limited Edition Group Purchase) only it has the proper mil-spec 1:7 twist barrel, and you can get it for less (with an additional $50 discount if you are a Team Member).
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top