Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2005 4:33:43 AM EDT
Bushy carbon RF upper, Stinger lower. Cav arms yellow furniture. She likes it because its so light and quiet. I like it because she likes it.
So now she's got an electric blue Kel Tec P32 and a yellow AR. She doesn't like evil black rifles and pistols, so I compramise! After all, thats what marriage is all about.  
She really likes the single point sling (for when her arms get tired) plus...it matches!
Haven't shot it yet. Looking forward to slaying some tin cans this weekend.
Edited to add: No rude comments about the slippers!

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:46:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice !!

But I have a question......
No its not the slippers.
Whats the deal with the yellow?

Wolf
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:48:26 AM EDT
[#2]
My wife doens't like evil black rifles and pistols. She says they look scary. So her weapons have to be other colors. Her Kel Tec P32 is electric blue! I don't mind, as long as she has fun shooting them! (she calls this one her "Super soaker")

Quoted:
Nice !!

But I have a question......
No its not the slippers.
Whats the deal with the yellow?

Wolf

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:49:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I like the yellow highlights on the receiver, what did you use?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:50:57 AM EDT
[#4]
The lower was highlighted when I bought it, the previous owner used a grease pencil.
He included the pencil with the lower for touchup if need be.  

OK, now someone buy this upper from me! I need an Eotech for this thing.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=119&t=246182

Quoted:
I like the yellow highlights on the receiver, what did you use?

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:21:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Ha Ha!!  I kinda like it!!

The gun is really nice overall, but the yellow kinda throws you off a bit.  Hey, Im married and I know: whatever she wants, she gets!

BTW:nice slippers!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:37:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice!  That yellow really really stands out!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:37:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Not bad, looking forward to summertime and some boating! Hope to see you and the rest of your clan at the lake.

Quoted:
Nice Slacker! How is NC treat'n ya?

C4

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:50:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/14/2005 3:40:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Bushy carbon RF upper, Stinger lower. Cav arms yellow furniture. She likes it because its so light and quiet. I like it because she likes it.
So now she's got an electric blue Kel Tec P32 and a yellow AR. She doesn't like evil black rifles and pistols, so I compramise! After all, thats what marriage is all about.  
She really likes the single point sling (for when her arms get tired) plus...it matches!
Haven't shot it yet. Looking forward to slaying some tin cans this weekend.
Edited to add: No rude comments about the slippers!

OK, now that I've put 500 rounds down the pipe I can tell you that my upper is ammo sensitive.
It seems to feed round nosed (and shaped) bullets much better than the type with the bump around the bullet. (think federal value pack vs Federal 40 grain solids).
The only prolems I encountered were feeding issues and they were taken care of by changing ammo types. 100 rds of federal 40 gr solids without a hitch.
The Remmy value pack ammo didn't feed worth a crap. I'm going to stick with the Federal solids and all will be well.
The sights were 1" low and 1" left out of the box. No problem there.
I used Remoil to lube bolt and "carrier" and after shooting 500 rounds the chamber and bolt were pretty nasty. I soaked it down with CLP in hopes of keeping it cleanable without tools.
All it all, a very fun plinking upper! Rapid shots are easy and the A2 sights work for this setup.
I'm not sure I'll add optics....yet.

Having owned the DPMS upper and the Bushy upper I'd have to say the DPMS is more user friendly for cleaning and dissassembly, and it seems to be less ammo sensitive, but the ejector is on the magazine (fragile) so thats a minus.

Heck, I like em both, but if I were to buy another upper for plinking, I'd most likley go with the DMPS M4 type. That said, the Bushy is lighter than any others so for a female/child, its the right choice.

My .02.
Link Posted: 1/14/2005 4:17:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the review.

The way i see it both the DPMS M4 upper and the BM carbon upper have almost as many +'s and -'s.

DPMS
No need to change buffer = +
Slightly more expensive = -
Need carry handle   = -

BM carbon
Lightweight = +
A little less expensive = +
Have to change buffer = -  (someone who has one please let me know how easy you can switch uppers)
ammo sensitive = -    
Link Posted: 1/14/2005 4:30:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I have no bones with the yellow... whatever it takes to get the little lady to the range!  

For those of you who haven't done it, gun shopping with a woman is(can be) a whole different experience!  :)
Link Posted: 1/17/2005 6:43:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Now I've seen it all!  It looks like you've fully converted her from the tree hugger to the venison lovin' range girl.  How's that Ruger M77/44 workin' out for ya, by the way?
Link Posted: 1/17/2005 6:55:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
My wife doens't like evil black rifles and pistols. She says they look scary. So her weapons have to be other colors. Her Kel Tec P32 is electric blue! I don't mind, as long as she has fun shooting them! (she calls this one her "Super soaker")

I can see using Cav Arms furniture to build something different than the run-of-the-mill black rifle, but I don't agree with buying colored weapons because someone is afraid of an all black rifle, and is trying to associate the real weapon with a toy. Blue pistols and yellow rifles may be presenting her with a "toy" appeal, making the fact that it is a weapon less-than-real to her. I don't know how much weapons safety you've taught her, but it sounds like she needs more, in order to be assured that weapons are not toys.
Link Posted: 1/17/2005 7:27:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Function wise, the 77/44 is a typical Ruger bolt action. Solid as a rock and always goes bang.
Accuracy wise, I'm still looking for the "sweet load" that it shoots Min. of pieplate at 100yds.

She's still not down with the venison eating program, but I don't hold it against her.
She's a good sport and humors me when I bring home food that I harvested.
In reality, I think it makes her feel secure to know that she and I could make it if the local grocery store closed down.

Quoted:
Now I've seen it all!  It looks like you've fully converted her from the tree hugger to the venison lovin' range girl.  How's that Ruger M77/44 workin' out for ya, by the way?

Link Posted: 1/17/2005 7:32:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Ok, back to reality .
To her (and me), the yellow rifle and blue pistol ARE TOYS! They are not tools, as they serve no real purpose other than to have fun with. Saftey wise, she has taken her CCW course and passed with flying colors (yes, I'm proud).
I understand your concern, but we're not dealing with a 10 year old with his first BB gun. She has earned more credit than you're giving her.

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can see using Cav Arms furniture to build something different than the run-of-the-mill black rifle, but I don't agree with buying colored weapons because someone is afraid of an all black rifle, and is trying to associate the real weapon with a toy. Blue pistols and yellow rifles may be presenting her with a "toy" appeal, making the fact that it is a weapon less-than-real to her. I don't know how much weapons safety you've taught her, but it sounds like she needs more, in order to be assured that weapons are not toys.

Link Posted: 1/17/2005 4:54:17 PM EDT
[#17]
No "girlie" rifle here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/k5ho/a2345d6d.jpg

R/ Jim
-----
Nunquam secundum.
Link Posted: 1/17/2005 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Jim, is that a carbon bushy upper? Looks pretty cool. Hows the cheek weld with carbine buttstock and scope?

Quoted:
No "girlie" rifle here.

R/ Jim
-----
Nunquam secundum.

Link Posted: 1/17/2005 5:01:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/17/2005 5:05:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Three words....boresnake and Hoppes#9. thats three right?

Quoted:
send your mags out for the rebuild. Watch the chamber mine leads up fast with solid non jacketed ammo.

Link Posted: 1/17/2005 5:52:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks, Slacker.  Yes, it's the Bushy CF .22 upper on a forged Bushy lower.  Since the photo was taken I removed the plastic stock and put on the DPMS metal "greasegun" stock.  It's less than 30" overall with the stock collapsed.  I'll post a photo soon.

I don't like cheekpieces.  They're too hard to remove when you need to use the iron sights.  So I just make do with the very low cheekweld position to shoot with the scope.  It still gets the job done.  I'm consistently getting 1/2 - 3/4" groups at 50 yards with Wolf ammo.  Don't know about you, but I've been impressed with the accuracy of the BM.

Next project is a coyote tan 7.62x39.  R/ Jim

-----
Nunquam secundum.
Link Posted: 1/17/2005 6:42:36 PM EDT
[#22]
What do 'ya think?  Only 29-3/4" long.  Reminds me of the Feather Industries .22.  Kinda cute, actually.

R/ Jim

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/k5ho/Bushy22LRGreaseGun.jpg

-----
Nunquam secundum.
Link Posted: 1/18/2005 2:34:39 AM EDT
[#23]
I dunno man, Looks like it needs an EOtech or ARMS#22 Low rings. Honestly, the scope looks difficult to use with it that high up. But, if it works for you then go for it.  Is the exposed buffer tube made from aluminum or steel? Don't mean to bust on your build, just trying to discuss strengths and weaknesses.

Quoted:
What do 'ya think?  Only 29-3/4" long.  Reminds me of the Feather Industries .22.  Kinda cute, actually.

R/ Jim

img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/k5ho/Bushy22LRGreaseGun.jpg

-----
Nunquam secundum.

Link Posted: 1/18/2005 3:30:06 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
send your mags out for the rebuild.

+1
Link Posted: 1/18/2005 8:54:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Slacker, Where'd you get the bright yellow single-point sling?  (My 9mm carbine is yellow... )
Link Posted: 1/18/2005 12:51:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Yeah Slacker...what kind of sling is that, I want one (but in black of course).  
Link Posted: 1/18/2005 1:23:41 PM EDT
[#27]
I bought the lower used from another board member and it was all "yellowed" out when I bought it, including the sling. No name brand on it. Mabey the previous owner will chime in.

Quoted:
Slacker, Where'd you get the bright yellow single-point sling?  (My 9mm carbine is yellow... )

Link Posted: 1/18/2005 5:44:51 PM EDT
[#28]
I just dont think I could do a yellow rifle. But it does look cool
Link Posted: 1/18/2005 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#29]
You know if it gets his woman to the range one does whatever it takes to make it happen.
Hell I have seen them in pink before

wolf.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 7:15:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Just a little update on this thread....

The Bushy upper is now a little more broken in (1700 rds) and as long as its semi clean, it feeds any of the value pack stuff fine. Break in was a long process, but its now very reliable. I did have the mags rebuilt using USGI 20rd bodies and they are working out very well.
Bottom line, keep it clean and give it a good break in and it'll give lots of fun. On a side note, cleaning of the "bolt" and "carrier" is a very straight forward process. Gunscrubber does it in no time flat. Bore snake on the bbl, Hot water/gunscrubber on the receiver.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:34:43 AM EDT
[#31]
How or where did you do the mag rebuilds with the 20 round bodies?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 10:12:39 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
How or where did you do the mag rebuilds with the 20 round bodies?

A board member was doing the rebuild. I sent him two 20rd USGI colt mags and the factory bushy plastic mags. He rebuilt them and sent them back. Glad I did it.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top