Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2003 1:51:42 PM EDT
I just returned from the range where I test fired my new 16-in Pre-ban CAR from Model "1" Sales, Inc.  I bought the kit to mate with an EA pre-ban lower I obtained at a garage sale (yes).  

The Model "1"  kit is of excellent quality.  It fits my lower like a glove.  The CAR is just as accurate as my 20-in AR-15 out to the limit of the range (500 yds).  

Model "1" has great kits and great service.  The kit was shipped the same day they received the order.

Total cost to me was Lower for $20; CAR Kit for $400; and $20 S/H.  $440 for a pre-ban CAR!
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 5:50:13 PM EDT
[#1]
[hail2]  Finding the lower at the garage sale was almost as good as my grandma selling my grandfather's Gibson guitars at yard sale without warning the family.[>q]  It sounds like a great rifle.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 10:05:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I know it's a good rifle because I have the same thing(slightly modified for my purposes of course)[}:D]
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 10:43:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Which barrel did you get from Model 1 Sales?

I just put a RRA/Model 1 sales kit together.  It is the 16" version with a lightweight barrel.  Turned out perfect.

Here is a picture:

[IMG]http://webpages.charter.net/lousar/pictures/AR15-Lightweight-CAR.jpg[/IMG]
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#4]
What is the email adderss for Model 1 sales???  Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Website is [url]www.model1sales.com[/url]
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 3:16:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Even though I haven't been able shoot it yet, I think the $50 price difference (at least for the other kits I priced out from M&A and J&T) is a worthwhile savings for the Model 1 kit. Quality seems very good and fit and finish is very nice. Of course, hindsight is always 20/20 and now I wish I ordered the 5.56 chamber instead of the .223, but then again, that just gives me an excuse to build another one.
[;)]
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 5:32:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I got the heavy barrel with the A-2 upper and flash hider.

You rifle looks real good.

Derryl
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 6:39:02 PM EDT
[#8]
dstutz,

Thanks, do you have any pictures of yours?  How did your handguards look?  That was the only thing that I really didn't like about the kit was the handguards looked kind of cheap.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 7:49:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I think you made a good choice with the Model 1 kit . Last year I put a 20" kit from them together then just last week I put a 16" CAR kit from them together and both are great rifles . The only complaint I have is the 20" takes a 4 pin front sight tool and the 16" takes a 5 pin , but now that it is sighted in I geuss it really doesn't matter .
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#10]
A buddy of mine got the RRA 16" CAR upper, and it came with the exact same handguards.  They do feel kinda cheap, but based on what I've seen, the Mode1 1 handguards aren't any worse than the RRAs.  I've got a Model 1 lightweight CAR, and it rocks.  My only complaint on this one is the plastic buttstock is kinda cheap, and it's a darker, shinier green than the handguards and the grip.  Here it is:
[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/188491/lightweight001.jpg[/img]

For grins, I took a pic of a standard (which I believe is really a heavy, at least from the hanguards forward) next to the lightweight.  Quite a difference, as you can see:
[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/188491/lightweight003.jpg[/img]

Oh, yeah...I DID have to send the upper back...they sent it to me with no gas hole in the gas block lol.  They were very prompt about the return, turnaround was one day once they got it (I sent it to their PO box instead of their street address, USPS had it for a couple of days before Model 1 could track it down).  

The seemed pretty skeptical about my diagnosis of a messed up gas block...but were very apologetic once they could see for themselves.  

All in all, they came through for me when they needed to.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 7:22:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Semper Fi,

Hi.  Sorry, I have been off-line for a few days working.

My hand gaurds look fine.  I think they appear to be cheap due to the small size of CAR hand gaurds (small diameter relative to the 20-inch gaurds).  You could always order the M-4 hand gaurd option, which gives you hand gaurds about the same diameter as the full 20-inch rifle.

Derryl
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top