Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2004 1:40:48 PM EDT
I love shooting and I love guns, but I've never actually owned one myself. Now that the AWB is finally going to die, however, I figure I should get something before Congress passes and even worse piece of legislation.

What I'm looking for is an M4A1-style weapon.  It should have a telescoping stock, a flash suppressor, a flattop upper and a RIS on the barrel so I can attach stuff if I want -- vertical grips, flashlights, that kind of thing.

I've heard good things about the Colt 6920, but I've been having a hard time finding out anything about it; Colt doesn't seem to list it on their site.

Also, is ordering a weapon over the internet a good idea? I know Armalite allows users do that. Or should I just go to a gun dealer in my area?

Any help from you guys would be most appreciated!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:55:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome Traxus! from one "newbie"  to another...
Did you want to buy complete or build?
There seems to be a considerable price difference if that matters.
It's always good to support local business, but on-line can be cheaper.
Just make sure it's a reputable co.  PLENTY of info here...just hunt around a bit!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:06:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome! Helps if you tell us if you want to build a rifle or buy one thats already built. If you want one thats already built Bushmaster is good I would recomend brousing there sight. Rock river arms is good as well and you can have an M4 customized to your likeing at www.adcofirearms.com .
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:37:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the responses!

I'm looking for a complete build. As suggested, I gave Bushmaster a look and the XM15 w/A3 upper is very appealing -- but it's still post-ban (fixed tele-stock, no flash suppressor). Armalite and Colt also make similar post-ban configs.

Any idea when the manufacturers will start rolling out their new "post-post ban" models?

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:19:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Traxus,

Bushmaster does offer LE Only models which are essensially "Banless" weapons. (Flash Hiders, Telescopic stocks, etc.) Now that the AWB is done with, I'm sure you could ask them about these models.

I am a recent 1st time AR owner myself, and I went with Bushmaster. I am very happy with my purchase, but I do have a warning:

DO NOT GET A "Y COMP" OR "MIMI Y-COMP"!!!! Whatever you do. That thing is aweful, at least for me. I fitted my new Bushmaster with a Banless upper complete with a Phantom FH and boy what a difference it made. Good luck on your search!

Edwin
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:23:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Traxus,

Here's a look:

http://www.bushmaster.com/le/products.htm

Edwin

Bushmaster XM15 E2S 16" Bbl. "Patrolman's" Carbine

The Bushmaster XM15 E2S Patrolman's Carbine is designed for situations requiring a lightweight, rugged firearm with high firepower. Created with the Law Enforcement Officer in mind, it includes all the features of an M4A3 Type Carbine with a 16" Barrel to make it legal for sale to individual officers. The 1 in 9" twist barrel is chrome lined for maximum longevity and accuracy, as well as ease of maintenance, and the barrel “step-down” allows the user to mount an M203 Grenade Launcher. For muzzle flash suppression, a “bird cage” style suppressor is fitted (others are available). A four-position, telescoping buttstock offers light weight and ease of carrying. The A3 Type Removable Carry Handle has a 1/2 M. o. A., dual aperture, M16A2 rear sight system. With the handle removed, the Officer can mount a variety of scopes, optics, or night vision devices to the Picatinny type rail base of the “flat-top” Upper Receiver. The light weight, forged, 7075T6 aircraft quality aluminum receivers are finished in a non-reflective mil. spec. hard anodize for durability, and incorporate all M16A2 design improvements including cartridge case deflector, last round bolt hold-open and raised ridges for magazine release button protection. A mil. spec. manganese phosphate outer coating insures complete protection against corrosion or rust on barrel and other exposed steel parts of the weapon. The Bushmaster Patrolman's Carbine operates in semi-automatic mode and will accept all capacity AR15/M16 type magazines. It is shipped in a lockable, clamshell style, hard plastic case - complete with 30 round magazine, carrying sling and Operator's Safety and Instruction Manual.

Suggested Retail Price: $1080.00
Carry Handle: $99.99

"Patrolman's" A3 Carbine

SPECIFICATIONS:
Caliber: .223 Remington
Magazine Capacity: 30 Rounds (accepts all M16 type)
Overall Length: 34.75 inches
Length - Stock Retracted: 31.75 inches
Barrel Length: 16 inches
Rifling Twist: 1 turn in 9"
Weight without magazine: 6.8 Lbs.
Weight of empty magazine: .25 Lbs.
Weight of loaded magazine: 1.0 Lbs.
Mode of Operation:
Semi-Automatic
Muzzle Velocity:
M193 - 55 gr.: 3130 ft./sec.
M855/SS109/C77 - 62 gr.: 2990 ft./sec.
Muzzle Energy:
M193 - 55 gr.: 1200 ft.lbs.
M855/SS109/C77 - 62 gr. 1230 ft.lbs.

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:00:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I love my Bushmater Varminter!
RRA 20" Stainless Varminter next.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:53:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Bushmaster is now listing non-LE post-sunset models after their site update. Chances are I'll pick one of those, although I am still looking.

One thing is bothering me, however. To purchase a weapon from the website they require you to have an FFL; while I'm no expert in Federal firearms laws in our country, I wasn't aware I had to have a federal license to buy a non-NFA firearm. Is an FFL requirement just for  shipping the weapon to me, or do I need an FFL even if I go to a local dealer?

Any help would (again) be appreciated! :)
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:55:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Bushmaster is now listing non-LE post-sunset models after their site update. Chances are I'll pick one of those, although I am still looking.

One thing is bothering me, however. To purchase a weapon from the website they require you to have an FFL; while I'm no expert in Federal firearms laws in our country, I wasn't aware I had to have a federal license to buy a non-NFA firearm. Is an FFL requirement just for  shipping the weapon to me, or do I need an FFL even if I go to a local dealer?

Thats only if you buy it online.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:11:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

They will only ship to an FFL, a local dealer. You still buy the rifle (pay Bushmaster in this case), then they ship to the FFL Dealer, and you then get a background check when you pick up the rifle, and pay the dealer a transfer fee, usually $20-25. If you call Bushmaster or talk to a local dealer that will do the transfer, they will guide you through the process.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:32:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Go here to find an FFL transfer agent in your area:

www.gunsamerica.com/transfer.cgi

Find one that will do the transfer for no more than $30.  The FFL will walk you through it.  Ask us if you have any questions.

I suggest that you look around for a week or so and decide on what rifle you realy want, based on features you've listed, brand, and availability.  Then ask members on this site to help you find the best deal.

I have a Bushmaster, and I'm very happy with mine.  Being in NYS, I can't get a "sunset" rifle, but mine shoots just fine.  Welcome to the AR world!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:36:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Call around to your local shops and get some price quotes.  Chances are they'll be a LOT cheaper than buying directly from BM or Armalite.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:46:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys, you've been a great help! I've found a local FFL dealer in my area and I'll be paying him a visit in the next few days when I have some more time.

I've also looked at different models and read a lot of posts here on the board, and it sound like Bushmaster is gonna be it. They offer two post-sunset AR-15s:

www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/bcwa3f16m4.asp
www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/bcwa3f16.asp

I originally wanted to get the M4-Type Carbine instead of the 16" Carbine, but it claims the flash hider is "permanently" installed on the M4. Is that a bad thing? (And no, I don't mind the shorter barrel length.)
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:49:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Howdy, dude.  Jump on over to the Georgia Hometown forums while you are at it.  Lots of good people there and lots of toys to play with.  Plus, we can recommend which shop and people to talk to for good deals
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:52:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I smell a troll and a spammer,but WTF?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top